Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Lily Raff McCaulou, New York Times Op-ed, we are our worst enemy

Please read the guns.com article. It's a granola girl that hunts. Of course, she doesn't support the 2A or at least the NRA and stand-your-ground.

http://www.guns.com/new-york-times-a...r-me-7356.html

I searched her name and found her blog. I commented in a way that didn't make me sound like a nut case. The post below, also from the comment section of her blog, made me want to hurl. I responded to this guy as well, in a less diplomatic way. Try to read his whole post, it is amazing how stupid some people are.

Matt
    Lily,
    I love guns, but also endorse gun control. I'm a Concealed Weapon Permit holder in the state of Utah and I stand by my "rights" to use deadly force to defend my property or protect my loved ones. I, however, am not a fan of the N.R.A. or any other "radical" gun club/group/enthusiast.
    If it were left up to the "radicals," guns would be everywhere, in every persons hands, and used purposely and accidentally to kill even more people. I look at guns like I look at driving; You should have to go through a lengthy class to instruct you on how to correctly identify, handle/use, and shoot a firearm. Yes, Hunter's Safety does this, but you don't have to go through Hunter's safety to own a firearm. In Utah, the course is required to hunt any game, but each state has its own set of rules for hunters and hunting. I do hunt and have been through hunter's safety and I also have military firearms training.
    I have been trained to use the M9 (9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol), M16A2 (5.56mm Semi-Automatic/3-round burst Assault Rifle), M60 (7.62mm Automatic Machine Gun), and the M203 (40mm grenade launcher mounted to an M16A2). My training was tactical military training and even though I'm now separated from the military, I still practice my handgun skills in a similar manner. These skills are relevant to me being able to kill to protect myself, my loved ones, and any innocent individual while maintaining accountability for every deadly bullet that I fire. I understand that, as well as, the inner and outer working of any gun in my possession. It is my responsibility, as a concealed weapon permit carrier, to be proficient as I possibly can with the weapon that I could be forced to use to protect innocent lives. Based on the tone that I have set, you should now understand that I do not support any individual being able to obtain a concealed weapon permit, or any individual owning a firearm.
    People can be crazy, reckless, selfish, and a number of other mental instabilities at any given time in their daily lives. We have all suffered from these "dark" emotions and we have reacted negatively because of them. Some people take these "dark" emotions to a whole new level and there are a lot more of those types of people around you everyday than you might realize. I don't want these individuals to be able to ever own a weapon, let alone get a concealed carry permit. Then you have to take into account the individuals that have obtained a concealed carry permit and have no "real" training other than shooting at a target at a gun range. That is not proper training to take on the responsibility to use a handgun to kill a person or persons. Most people cannot fathom what it's like to be in a combat situation and know how to react accordingly. It's all training. It's all repetition. Proper training is repetition of being put in situations or scenarios to learn how to instinctively react. It might start out fun, but it quickly becomes monotonous, frustrating, and tiresome. However, it is necessary to do what needs to be done. Individuals without this type of training should not be allowed to have a concealed weapon. My views on gun rights as a whole also differ greatly from the "far-right."
    You do not have a "right" to own a firearm. Firearms should be controlled and accounted for at a federal level. Assault rifles should be banned and so should their extended magazines. People don't typically hunt with "assault rifles." An assault rifle is usually used to hunt varmint (Small animals that do more harm than good to their environment or domestic livestock). However, varmint can be hunted with any other weapon such as shotguns, rifles, or even handguns. Besides, an assault rifle uses an intermediate cartridge which is a great round for wounding or maiming someone, but it's not a very good round for killing game. Yea, it will kill a deer; but they usually run forever before they finally die and it can take hours to find them if you are even able to locate them. Larger game would be difficult to kill with an assault rifle, and small game would be obliterated by an assault rifle round. An assault rifle is not an ideal weapon for home defense due to its ability to "throw lead" while penetrating walls. It is a small, accurate, and incredibly fast round that was created for war. Try to justify by whatever means you want, but there is no need for a person that isn't in combat to own or use an assault rifle.
    As I mentioned before, I hunt. I mainly hunt upland game and here in Utah that is Grouse. I eat what I kill. I don't randomly shoot animals and I don't poach. If I see someone poaching, I will notify fish and game. There are too many "sportsmen" out there with assault rifles illegally poaching game. Anything I can do to get more of those individuals in jail, I will do. On that same note, there are too many people out there with guns.
    I own guns. I have two handguns (9mm Semi-Auto and a 357 revolver), two large caliber rifles (Mosin Nagant 91/30 and M44), a small caliber rifle (22 caliber Semi-Auto), and a shotgun (12-Gauge Semi-Auto). I conceal carry either of my handguns depending on the situation. I typically carry my 357 due to its compact size, but I also carry my 9mm when my wife takes her 357. She has her concealed carry permit and I have trained her to react appropriately in a life or death situation. We also shoot a minimum of once a month to stay proficient with these weapons. My handguns are either in mine or my wife's possession, or locked in a safe. If some jerk cuts me off, I don't threaten them or flash my pistol to scare them. My handguns serve a purpose. I don't need them, but I have them and I am as responsible as I can be with them. I will do my due diligence to protect my rights to have those weapons. I will not protect random people's "rights" to have their weapons. Of course, the paranoid people will plead, "If you allow them to take some rights, then eventually, they will take them all." I call "Bullsh*t" on that. We don't live in colonial times and we are not under control of a dictatorship or fascist. Thought limited by some respects, we have the ability to control our future for the greater wealth of our nation. If you want to be paranoid and allow your fear and hate to dictate your actions, that is your "right." I, however, will use my judgment to make educated decisions regarding my future.
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 11:42 AM

Link to her blog, should you wish to opine:

http://www.lilyrm.com/Lily_Raff_McCa..._up_arms.html#
    Last edited by unclejumbo; April 27th, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Lily Raff McCaulou, New York Times Op-ed, we are our worst enemy

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Please read the guns.com article. It's a granola girl that hunts. Of course, she doesn't support the 2A or at least the NRA and stand-your-ground.

http://www.guns.com/new-york-times-a...r-me-7356.html

I searched her name and found her blog. I commented in a way that didn't make me sound like a nut case. The post below, also from the comment section of her blog, made me want to hurl. I responded to this guy as well, in a less diplomatic way. Try to read his whole post, it is amazing how stupid some people are.

Matt
    Lily,
    I love guns, but also endorse gun control. I'm a Concealed Weapon Permit holder in the state of Utah and I stand by my "rights" to use deadly force to defend my property or protect my loved ones. I, however, am not a fan of the N.R.A. or any other "radical" gun club/group/enthusiast.
    If it were left up to the "radicals," guns would be everywhere, in every persons hands, and used purposely and accidentally to kill even more people. I look at guns like I look at driving; You should have to go through a lengthy class to instruct you on how to correctly identify, handle/use, and shoot a firearm. Yes, Hunter's Safety does this, but you don't have to go through Hunter's safety to own a firearm. In Utah, the course is required to hunt any game, but each state has its own set of rules for hunters and hunting. I do hunt and have been through hunter's safety and I also have military firearms training.
    I have been trained to use the M9 (9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol), M16A2 (5.56mm Semi-Automatic/3-round burst Assault Rifle), M60 (7.62mm Automatic Machine Gun), and the M203 (40mm grenade launcher mounted to an M16A2). My training was tactical military training and even though I'm now separated from the military, I still practice my handgun skills in a similar manner. These skills are relevant to me being able to kill to protect myself, my loved ones, and any innocent individual while maintaining accountability for every deadly bullet that I fire. I understand that, as well as, the inner and outer working of any gun in my possession. It is my responsibility, as a concealed weapon permit carrier, to be proficient as I possibly can with the weapon that I could be forced to use to protect innocent lives. Based on the tone that I have set, you should now understand that I do not support any individual being able to obtain a concealed weapon permit, or any individual owning a firearm.
    People can be crazy, reckless, selfish, and a number of other mental instabilities at any given time in their daily lives. We have all suffered from these "dark" emotions and we have reacted negatively because of them. Some people take these "dark" emotions to a whole new level and there are a lot more of those types of people around you everyday than you might realize. I don't want these individuals to be able to ever own a weapon, let alone get a concealed carry permit. Then you have to take into account the individuals that have obtained a concealed carry permit and have no "real" training other than shooting at a target at a gun range. That is not proper training to take on the responsibility to use a handgun to kill a person or persons. Most people cannot fathom what it's like to be in a combat situation and know how to react accordingly. It's all training. It's all repetition. Proper training is repetition of being put in situations or scenarios to learn how to instinctively react. It might start out fun, but it quickly becomes monotonous, frustrating, and tiresome. However, it is necessary to do what needs to be done. Individuals without this type of training should not be allowed to have a concealed weapon. My views on gun rights as a whole also differ greatly from the "far-right."
    You do not have a "right" to own a firearm. Firearms should be controlled and accounted for at a federal level. Assault rifles should be banned and so should their extended magazines. People don't typically hunt with "assault rifles." An assault rifle is usually used to hunt varmint (Small animals that do more harm than good to their environment or domestic livestock). However, varmint can be hunted with any other weapon such as shotguns, rifles, or even handguns. Besides, an assault rifle uses an intermediate cartridge which is a great round for wounding or maiming someone, but it's not a very good round for killing game. Yea, it will kill a deer; but they usually run forever before they finally die and it can take hours to find them if you are even able to locate them. Larger game would be difficult to kill with an assault rifle, and small game would be obliterated by an assault rifle round. An assault rifle is not an ideal weapon for home defense due to its ability to "throw lead" while penetrating walls. It is a small, accurate, and incredibly fast round that was created for war. Try to justify by whatever means you want, but there is no need for a person that isn't in combat to own or use an assault rifle.
    As I mentioned before, I hunt. I mainly hunt upland game and here in Utah that is Grouse. I eat what I kill. I don't randomly shoot animals and I don't poach. If I see someone poaching, I will notify fish and game. There are too many "sportsmen" out there with assault rifles illegally poaching game. Anything I can do to get more of those individuals in jail, I will do. On that same note, there are too many people out there with guns.
    I own guns. I have two handguns (9mm Semi-Auto and a 357 revolver), two large caliber rifles (Mosin Nagant 91/30 and M44), a small caliber rifle (22 caliber Semi-Auto), and a shotgun (12-Gauge Semi-Auto). I conceal carry either of my handguns depending on the situation. I typically carry my 357 due to its compact size, but I also carry my 9mm when my wife takes her 357. She has her concealed carry permit and I have trained her to react appropriately in a life or death situation. We also shoot a minimum of once a month to stay proficient with these weapons. My handguns are either in mine or my wife's possession, or locked in a safe. If some jerk cuts me off, I don't threaten them or flash my pistol to scare them. My handguns serve a purpose. I don't need them, but I have them and I am as responsible as I can be with them. I will do my due diligence to protect my rights to have those weapons. I will not protect random people's "rights" to have their weapons. Of course, the paranoid people will plead, "If you allow them to take some rights, then eventually, they will take them all." I call "Bullsh*t" on that. We don't live in colonial times and we are not under control of a dictatorship or fascist. Thought limited by some respects, we have the ability to control our future for the greater wealth of our nation. If you want to be paranoid and allow your fear and hate to dictate your actions, that is your "right." I, however, will use my judgment to make educated decisions regarding my future.
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 11:42 AM

Link to her blog, should you wish to opine:

http://www.lilyrm.com/Lily_Raff_McCa..._up_arms.html#
    Douche Nozzle ^^^^^^^.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Montgomery County)

"We" are not our own worst enemies.

So the New York times hunted down and "reported" on some mouthpiece who holds their views. This does not make any kind of "movement" or political cause. With some time and an internet connected computer I can find very strange and illogical view points, it is not hard.

This is a tactic of a side seriously losing a debate, setting up a straw dog and making it look dangerous and real. I really do not see millions of these people getting together and forming an absurd organization to support their viewpoint. Furthermore, I would not even bother linking to or clicking on the NYT story as it is drivel. Who the hell reads the NYT anyway???

The statists are losing, they are losing support from people who want freedom, they are losing because people want to keep the money they earn, they are losing because their programs have not had positive outcomes. Their ideology will continue its loud death rattle...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    "We" are not our own worst enemies.

So the New York times hunted down and "reported" on some mouthpiece who holds their views. This does not make any kind of "movement" or political cause. With some time and an internet connected computer I can find very strange and illogical view points, it is not hard.

This is a tactic of a side seriously losing a debate, setting up a straw dog and making it look dangerous and real. I really do not see millions of these people getting together and forming an absurd organization to support their viewpoint. Furthermore, I would not even bother linking to or clicking on the NYT story as it is drivel. Who the hell reads the NYT anyway???

The statists are losing, they are losing support from people who want freedom, they are losing because people want to keep the money they earn, they are losing because their programs have not had positive outcomes. Their ideology will continue its loud death rattle...
    While I agree with you about her article, I found the comments in support of her position disheartening. There are too many out there like the DB that I shared.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Delaware County)

I stopped subscribing to the NYT when our parakeet started protesting its presence in her cage.

Actually, I stopped when internet news sources were sufficiently developed that, in the mid 90s, I understood what the Taliban were at the time that the NYT still seemed to think that they were "students" of some kind. They have improved a bit, but not enough to make me trust their ability to separate their news from their editorial opinions.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Delaware County)

She loves guns and feels confortable having the government in total control of their sales. Hypocracy to the point of insanity. Apparently, her journey in the gun world has been a very short and naive one.

(Adams County)

Likely she's and environment nazi, and the only reason she uses a firearm at all is because Mother Earth News occasionally does stories on their usefulness.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Jefferson County)

My retort..

knight0334
    The 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting. It is about keeping and bearing arms in defense of one's self, defense of the state/nation, and against tyranny. You cannot go up against an army with your turkey gun and stand a chance.

The NRA isn't just about hunting either. It is about protecting our 2nd Amendment rights entirely. When you do not have the tools at hand to defeat tyranny you will become a slave to it.

Also, an "Assault Rifle" is capable of full-auto and/or select-fire(burst). The civilian versions are not capable of this - thus are NOT "Assault Rifles."

Even in United States v Miller 307 U.S. 174 (1939, the Supreme Court ruled that the people should have access to firearms commonly used in warfare.

And Tench Coxe, one of the 2nd tier Founding Fathers stated in his interpretation of the proposed 2nd Amendment:

"The powers of the sword, say the minority of Pennsylvania, is in the hands of Congress. My friends and countrymen, it is not so, for the powers of the sword are in the hands of the yeomanry of America from sixteen to sixty. The militia of these free commonwealths, entitled and accustomed to their arms, when compared with any possible army, must be tremendous and irresistible. Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress have no right to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American.... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." -Tench Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!