Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default How can they do this?

I went to Heritage Guild in Easton today to try on an FNX 45 Tactical for size. There was another customer from NJ looking at a Glock. The salesman said he could trade in his gun there and buy a new Glock there and save 1% sales tax over NJ, then pickup the gun at their NJ store. I spoke up and questioned the salesman but he said he can sell him a long gun over the counter but the pistol has to be picked up in NJ. Something doesn't smell right. Comments please.

(Chester County)

Default Re: How can they do this?

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    I went to Heritage Guild in Easton today to try on an FNX 45 Tactical for size. There was another customer from NJ looking at a Glock. The salesman said he could trade in his gun there and buy a new Glock there and save 1% sales tax over NJ, then pickup the gun at their NJ store. I spoke up and questioned the salesman but he said he can sell him a long gun over the counter but the pistol has to be picked up in NJ. Something doesn't smell right. Comments please.

Perfectly legal for Pa FFL to sell and transfer a longarm to an NJ resident while in his shop.

For a handgun he can sell to an NJ resident BUT the transfer of possession must be through an NJ FFL.

All sales must conform to NJ and Pa laws.

ref 18 USC 922(b)(3)

He may save 1% in sales tax but the buyer will owe NJ a 1% 'use tax'.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    He may save 1% in sales tax but the buyer will owe NJ a 1% 'use tax'.
    Not to mention the additional cost of shipping and then whatever the NJ dealer charges for the transfer.

The sad part is, even with shipping and a crazy transfer the gun might still be cheaper to buy in PA over NJ. I have relatives in NJ who looked at local shops for hunting rifles/shotguns and then came to PA and paid less than half the NJ price.

(Northampton County)

heritage Guild has 2 sister locations in NJ.

(Lehigh County)

So, what did you think about the gun?
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    So, what did you think about the gun?
    Yes, inquiring minds would like to know.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Monroe County)

Perfectly legal , a FFL can sell to any FFL anywhere in America. This is still America you know, in spite of what the Gestapo thinks.

In the meantime it wouldnt hurt if you educate yourself about the Gun Laws, remember "Knowledge is power"

Since he is not taking possession of the gun in PA and it is being shipped to NJ, he pays no PA sales tax. Whether he pays the 7% NJ tax in the form of a use tax when he files his state income tax is up to the buyer's conscience.

Adios,

PIzza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Since he is not taking possession of the gun in PA and it is being shipped to NJ, he pays no PA sales tax. Whether he pays the 7% NJ tax in the form of a use tax when he files his state income tax is up to the buyer's conscience.

Adios,

PIzza Bob
    I find this post interesting in that the Guild owns shops in both PA and NJ. I am sure they finagle with the numbers to get it work for their NJ customers when they purchase in PA. Perhaps the PA price for the Glock is less than the NJ price hence it makes up for the tax issues. Not sure shipping is an issue because they probably ship it via themselves (Guild employees) to their NJ shops.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Northampton County)

the FN-45 fit my hand like a glove, I thought the grip would be much bigger holding 15 rounds of 45. But I don't think I will go for the Tactical model, I don't plan on buying a suppressor or optics so I could get basically the same gun much cheaper. The reviews I have read say it is a real good reliable shooter. So now I will be looking at prices on just a FNX-45, the hardtop not the convertible.