Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default S&W M&P SHIELD 9MM RANGE REPORT

Well I just came from the range after putting 200 rds. through my new Shield 9mm pistol. I cannot believe what a fine pistol this is! Foremost it is so very accurate for such a small gun. At twelve yards I was shooting 3 to 4 inch groups off hand and im really not that good of a shot. Secondly, there is hardly no recoil at all !! And not one failure of any kind in 200 shots. The gun carry's so nicely in a Galco Summer Comfort that I had from an old G26 IWB. I will be wearing this baby for back-up or alone when the hot hot weather gets here. I am keeping one mag loaded with Federal 124g +p HST's and the other with the new Hornaday 135g +p Critical Duty load that just hit the gun stores. Really, S&W really did their homework with this gun. I dont really like a manual safety on my pistols but this gun is so nice I will practice with it untill taking the safety off becomes second nature. The only other small 9mm I want to look at will be the new Sig P-938...if it ever gets here. That will be a single action only, so really it's the other side of the coin.

Default Re: S&W M&P SHIELD 9MM RANGE REPORT

Good to hear. I'm glad so many of you guys are having such great experiences with your Shields. Not just here, but, just about any other forum I visit, theres nothing but rave reviews on this new offering from Smith.

Seems like they really hit a homerun other than that safety.

(Wyoming County)

cool. im on a waiting list for one (well im supposed to be anyway)

(Cumberland County)

Yeah, I've got one coming too - I was waiting for the Springfield XDs but now that it's delayed until late May to June, I can get this and have time to save up again for the XDs

I just don't see what all the rage is about, a small low capacity 9mm that's not really small enough for a pocket??? The Wather PPS fits the bill as well as the KelTec PF9 and both of those have been out for years, and not for nothing but the KT is $200 less than the Shield.

To the OP, I'm not ripping on you in any way but 3-4" groups @12yds is nothing to really brag about, I shoot better groups with my LCP and that's about as small as it gets. In fact I've shot shotgun shells at 10yds with it. I just don't see the magic of this gun...

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I just don't see what all the rage is about, a small low capacity 9mm that's not really small enough for a pocket??? The Wather PPS fits the bill as well as the KelTec PF9 and both of those have been out for years, and not for nothing but the KT is $200 less than the Shield.

To the OP, I'm not ripping on you in any way but 3-4" groups @12yds is nothing to really brag about, I shoot better groups with my LCP and that's about as small as it gets. In fact I've shot shotgun shells at 10yds with it. I just don't see the magic of this gun...
    I just really liked it when I held it. I guess I've really wanted to like a Smith and Wesson modern auto too As far as the PPS, +/- $150 more and I believe quite a bit larger, and as far as the Kel-Tec, well, it's a Kel-Tec, lol ( I know, I know, they are reliable and Kel Tec fans love them, but to me it's a recycled soda bottle that shoots and just can't get myself to go with it )
    And Joe, 3-4" offhand at 12 yards is very respectable in my book
    Last edited by cruzans; April 26th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

(Wyoming County)

i agress on how it feels, it fits my hands great. i just got a email and im picking mine up tomorrow.

(Beaver County)

Listen, out of the box, first time out, 3-4 inch groups I'll take all day. Give me a little time and I will bet the grouping's will be 1.5 to 2.5 inch groups. As for Kel-tec....you can have yours...and the Taurus 709 slim. I guess thats why there are so many manufacturers.....one man's ceiling is another man's floor...!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by joe magarack View Post
    I dont really like a manual safety on my pistols
    Swap ya for a G19

(Allegheny County)

The Keltec is a piece of shit that feels like your hand is being kicked each and every single shot. The PPS is great despite limited night sight options. Kahrs can be good or they can suck right out of the box and never work. The Shield shoots well, works out of the box for the small sampling of people to get them, has a safety that does not need to be used and can be disabled, and has a wide line of night sights already available.
    The fact that is is a good and affordable single stack 9mm makes it all the rage. Whether or not you need one... Well, you decide...
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast