Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: "HOT" 44 mag load?

Quote Originally Posted by bpgood1 View Post
    Why is that? Dont they sell factory loads in 300gr. Not being an ass I just really know nothing about reloading
    i'm sure they do, everyday even maybe.

that garret 310grain load a few posts up boasting 1325 fps?
    will be quite the handful in any 44mag handgun, and give the gun a stout workout.

while in an a 500mag, 325grain bullets start out around 1400fps for a powder puff load, and carry on up to around 1800fps.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    i'm sure they do, everyday even maybe.

that garret 310grain load a few posts up boasting 1325 fps?
    will be quite the handful in any 44mag handgun, and give the gun a stout workout.

while in an a 500mag, 325grain bullets start out around 1400fps for a powder puff load, and carry on up to around 1800fps.
    Although still under 500 S&W full power loads, Garrett does make an even stouter heavy bullet load in .44 mag.

I did not list it in this thread because it exceeds the current max allowed pressure, and is not listed as recommended for the handgun in this thread. The 43,500 C.U.P. pressure rating shown was the allowed max years ago, and would be perfectly safe to fire in any sound .44 mag handgun of any era... That said, I certainly would not want to fire too many, even in a factory endurance packaged made Model 29 (like my 29 classic, or the OP's 629), or in any N frame for that matter.

Not only would it cut your trigger finger after a few rounds, the recoil would still beat the hell out of the N frame a lot more than I think the engineers ever thought it would see, but would hold up to the pressures just fine and easily. I have loaded 300 grain bullets to around 1200 fps, and really think unless you substantially up the velocity, penetration of a hard cast 300 grain bullet at 1000 fps, let alone 1400 fps is A-PLENTY, and not a whole lot better with a few hundred fps added. Glad you are enjoying you new revolver bp, and that it continues to deliver.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    Although still under 500 S&W full power loads, Garrett does make an even stouter heavy bullet load in .44 mag.

I did not list it in this thread because it exceeds the current max allowed pressure, and is not listed as recommended for the handgun in this thread. The 43,500 C.U.P. pressure rating shown was the allowed max years ago, and would be perfectly safe to fire in any sound .44 mag handgun of any era... That said, I certainly would not want to fire too many, even in a factory endurance packaged made Model 29 (like my 29 classic, or the OP's 629), or in any N frame for that matter.

Not only would it cut your trigger finger after a few rounds, the recoil would still beat the hell out of the N frame a lot more than I think the engineers ever thought it would see, but would hold up to the pressures just fine and easily. I have loaded 300 grain bullets to around 1200 fps, and really think unless you substantially up the velocity, penetration of a hard cast 300 grain bullet at 1000 fps, let alone 1400 fps is A-PLENTY, and not a whole lot better with a few hundred fps added. Glad you are enjoying you new revolver bp, and that it continues to deliver.

good lord, i'm going to pass on that load. that is totally uncalled for
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Dauphin County)

I have been reloading other calibers in both Pistol and Rife for about 7 years and I just picked up a 629 classic 6 1/2" barrel myself just a few weeks ago. I have several hand guns and so far the trigger on this bad boy just seems super sweet and better than any of my others. Everything about it is awesome!!! I bought some ammo (Winchester White Box) and enjoyed shooting it but is is expensive. Went out and bought $25 worth of powder, $75worth of bullets and, $30 in primers and $40 for dies and for a total of $170, I will be reloading for a long long time (500 rounds), and like some one else said 44 mags are just made for reloading. Already my favorite round to reload, everything is just bigger and easier to handle. Shoot at the range with some "lighter" loads and load up some heavy hitters for hunting whitetail at bowhunting distance.

I am NOT loading anything more than 240 grain bullets. No need and I want this gun to last several lifetimes, great grandkids will be shooting this fine piece of S&W craftmanship. I like everything about this gun!!!!
    Last edited by PAwhitetailbowhunter; April 29th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12