Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Do I need a new dust cover?

Just picked up a Wasr-10. The fit and finish of the gun is surprisingly tight and construction seems pretty good. I field stripped it to get all the cosmoline off and it came apart with no problems. Got everything back together with no problem until I got to the dust cover. Try as I might, I cannot get the damn thing to lock into place. I have the front end connected into the groove, but no matter how hard I press or slam it, the back end simply will not lock in. I have tried slapping it down, pounding it with a rubber mallet, sticking a screw driver against the recoil spring, and nothing. The dust cover does not appear to be malformed or misshapen in any way, but this being my first AK, I can't be certain. I have watched a bunch of videos online showing me how to reattach it, but no success so far. I have attached a photo showing the problem. I cannot get it past that point. The gun is assembled properly because I can pull back the charging lever and the gun will fire when the trigger is pulled. What do I need to do?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bullets will be the currency of the future

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Do I need a new dust cover?

Quote Originally Posted by beequick View Post
    Just picked up a Wasr-10. The fit and finish of the gun is surprisingly tight and construction seems pretty good. I field stripped it to get all the cosmoline off and it came apart with no problems. Got everything back together with no problem until I got to the dust cover. Try as I might, I cannot get the damn thing to lock into place. I have the front end connected into the groove, but no matter how hard I press or slam it, the back end simply will not lock in. I have tried slapping it down, pounding it with a rubber mallet, sticking a screw driver against the recoil spring, and nothing. The dust cover does not appear to be malformed or misshapen in any way, but this being my first AK, I can't be certain. I have watched a bunch of videos online showing me how to reattach it, but no success so far. I have attached a photo showing the problem. I cannot get it past that point. The gun is assembled properly because I can pull back the charging lever and the gun will fire when the trigger is pulled. What do I need to do?
    Is the recoil spring guide sitting all the way back against the rear trunnion , ie not getting got on the rear butt stock screw?

(Monroe County)

On the front of the dust cover MAKE SURE IT IS SITTING IN THE GROOVE just below the rear sight. Basically Im saying push forward AND down to seat it. Also ensure the recoil spring is properly inserted in the 2 grooves as VH stated.

(Lehigh County)

Yes, the guide is in the grooves and completely covers the second screw that connects the buttstock
    Bullets will be the currency of the future

(Monroe County)

note - the groove I speak of is BELOW the rear sight and ABOVE the chamber.

(Monroe County)

on my wasr i had trouble as well. everytime i would try to push it down for the button[recoil spring] to lock in place the front that sits in the groove would always pop out. i dont know if this is happenening to you but what i do is..

hold the gun in your weak hand and with your strong hand slip the front of the dust cover in its groove and as you push down, apply alot of foward pressure[always pushing the dust cover into the groove] and jus push down hard.

hope you figure it out man
    America is the finest country anyone ever stole.

(Chester County)

You are pushing in on the button on the side, right?

I'm not trying to insult you, just being thorough.

(Monroe County)

Wolff, what button are you speaking of? As I sit here I am just finishing reassembling my WASR, there is no button to hold when you replace the dust cover. Simple forward and down on the dust cover.

Quote Originally Posted by beequick View Post
    It's hard to tell by the picture, but it almost looks like the dust cover is not going all the way down. If it is getting jammed up on the sides of the Wasr, maybe look for the areas where it is getting jammed, and take a pair of pliers and gently bend the area/areas of the dust cover that are getting stuck.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Wolff, what button are you speaking of? As I sit here I am just finishing reassembling my WASR, there is no button to hold when you replace the dust cover. Simple forward and down on the dust cover.
    Must be different on the Yugos then, that's what I have. I put the dust cover on and it goes most of the way, then I hit the button below and it snaps into place. Sorry for just adding confusion if WASRs aren't the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast