Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default SBRs and Suppressors - Recoil

I am thinking of getting an AR-15 style SBR (probably 11.5" barrel) with a suppressor. I am assuming the SBR itself will have slightly more recoil than a full length rifle due to less weight. I am also assuming that when I attach the suppressor the recoil will increase substantially because there is no muzzle break. Is this correct?

The reason that I am curious is because one of my ARs has a 16" barrel and no flash hider/muzzle break. The recoil is about the same as a 30-30 or perhaps slightly greater. It's hard for me to compare because I haven't fired any intermediate cartridges except 5.56 in some time. I always assumed the high recoil was mostly because of the lack of a muzzle break, then a little bit because of the lighter barrel weight. And then that the higher pressure of the muzzle blast (due to the short barrel, not the the lack of flash hider I already covered) and harder cycling due to shorter gas tube had a minimal contribution.

Do I have any of this right? Should I expect an 11.5" barrel SBR to recoil much like an AR-15 with the flash hider on but then to recoil much like a 30-30 with the flash hider off and the suppressor on?

Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: SBRs and Suppressors - Recoil

Can't speak for rifles as I've never shot a suppressed rifle, but on handguns recoil is reduced thanks to the giant weight on the end of the barrel.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Chester County)

There should be less felt recoil as the gases are slowed and dissipated somewhat, added weight helps as well. The night time flare you would see will be lessened as well.

SBR with a suppressor sounds fun to me.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I am thinking of getting an AR-15 style SBR (probably 11.5" barrel) with a suppressor. I am assuming the SBR itself will have slightly more recoil than a full length rifle due to less weight. Correct but not enough to notice you also have to factor in the reduced velocity from the shorter barrel causes less rearward force as well I am also assuming that when I attach the suppressor the recoil will increase substantially because there is no muzzle break. Is this correct? No it's incorrect

The reason that I am curious is because one of my ARs has a 16" barrel and no flash hider/muzzle break. The recoil is about the same as a 30-30 or perhaps slightly greater. It's hard for me to compare because I haven't fired any intermediate cartridges except 5.56 in some time. I always assumed the high recoil was mostly because of the lack of a muzzle break, then a little bit because of the lighter barrel weight. And then that the higher pressure of the muzzle blast (due to the short barrel, not the the lack of flash hider I already covered) and harder cycling due to shorter gas tube had a minimal contribution.

a flash hider does nothing to decrease recoil, your AR should recoil less then a 9mm handgun

Do I have any of this right? Should I expect an 11.5" barrel SBR to recoil much like an AR-15 with the flash hider on but then to recoil much like a 30-30 with the flash hider off and the suppressor on? No

Thanks.
    A suppressor acts liks a inefficient muzzle break. It will reduce recoil unlike a flash hider but not as much as a break.

I personally don't think a AR has much recoil at all
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtdew View Post
    A suppressor acts liks a inefficient muzzle break. It will reduce recoil unlike a flash hider but not as much as a break.

I personally don't think a AR has much recoil at all
    I have a 20" A2 with the standard flash hider and it has no recoil. My 16" with no flashider has substantial recoil, there is no comparison. Reason? I am uncertain.

I called Bushmaster about the 16" because I though it was f'd up. They said the recoil was due to lack of a flash hider and recommended a muzzle break that was NJ legal (I was in NJ at the time obviously). So, I assumed from then on, the lack of flash hider was the issue. However, and this was years ago, I also suspect the guy I talked to at Bushmaster was drunk - literally. And after he told me what he thought I should do he started telling me that my particular rifle was a nasty little weapon and could really take care of somebody.