Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Fanny Pack Style Holster for 4" Revolver?

So admittedly, I have always thought concealed carry fanny pack holsters were silly, but I am currently in a situation where I think it might be my best option. I'm moving to Denver and will be doing a lot of active outdoorsy things in the wilderness (mountain biking, running, hiking, etc). I think an open-carry chest rig would be perfect for these types of activities; however, the state of Colorado allows parks to restrict the open carrying of firearms (concealed carry cannot be restricted). So concealed carry is my only option if I want to only purchase one holster which I can use everywhere. That being said, I need an easily accessible concealed carry holster that will stay put during rigorous activity and will hold a 4" revolver. A fanny pack holster seems like my only choice.

Have any of you had any experience carrying a 4" revolver in a fanny pack while engaged in physical activity? The revolver in question is a Taurus 627, so despite being 4" it only weighs 29 ounces. Also, during these activities I typically wear athletic shorts with no belt, so I need something that can be supported fully by its own straps and not require wearing a belt.

I'm also open to suggestions that aren't fanny packs. I looked at the Smartcarry, but that requires a belt to attach, and most of the time I won't have one.

Thanks in advance!

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Fanny Pack Style Holster for 4" Revolver?

I have a fanny pack holster. It works decent for biking or walking, but quickly gets irritating on a run. I tried it out with an XD service model, so the weight is in the ballpark of your revolver.

I have no experience with fanny packs but if I had to get one it would like this, I would also look into a slim .380 or 9mm but that besides the point.

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-TDI-Enf...ef=pd_sim_sg_3

I don't believe the Smartcarry needs a belt as it has its own strapping that goes around your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
    I think an open-carry chest rig would be perfect for these types of activities; however, the state of Colorado allows parks to restrict the open carrying of firearms (concealed carry cannot be restricted).
    How about that type of holster and a light cover garment over top? Or would that be too hot and/or restrictive to body movement?

(Westmoreland County)

I have a Bulldog fanny pack holster that I wear to the gym... works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
    I'm also open to suggestions that aren't fanny packs. I looked at the Smartcarry, but that requires a belt to attach, and most of the time I won't have one.

Thanks in advance!
    No, the SmartCarry is the whole deal. An elastic belt is part of the holster.

This thread has some good discussions about it: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/100...y-holster.html

*My posts in that thread are a bit negative, but don't let it scare you.

I can't manage to ride a bike without my shirt riding up over a 3-4o'clock holster, and the SmartCarry works great in biking positions. (unless your're wearing bike compression type shorts).

(Wayne County)

From my experience, your best bet is to adapt a real fanny pack that is meant to carry a load and make it into a holster. Most of the gun fanny packs are more holster and less pack and feel like it. Plus they also scream "I'm carrying a gun" to anybody with half a clue.

What I've done for mine is to get a moderate-sized hiking fanny pack and I hand stitched the hook part of heavy duty velco into the back wall of the pack. I then got a cheapo Uncle Mikes nylon IWB holster and stitched the loop part of the velcro to it. That way the holster can be positioned as you'd like inside the pack or can be removed as needed if you want to use the pack somewhere where you can't carry. If you get a holster w/ a thumb break, you won't have to worry about the pistol falling out into the pack and flopping around.

Try out some good quality hiking packs like MountainSmith, Jannd, LL Bean, etc. and place some free weights or (if you're in a good sporting goods store) weighted bags to see how the bags fit and ride with weight in them. Make sure that compartment that you'll have the gun in has a two-way zipper. Many packs only have a one-way zipper which will limit how you can carry/access the gun.

If you query, I've got photos on here somewhere that show how my setup works.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Westmoreland County)

I like driving holsters.........especially for a 4" bbl. I did use mine for mountain biking a couple years ago and it worked very well. Here's a copy of the pick I posted several years ago.

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Monroe County)

How about a 'belly band' for under your shirt?

Let's be honest, a fanny pack isn't comfortable unless it's ... supported by your fanny. Bicycling with one in any other position isn't fun either.

Just my $1.35 ($.02 in 2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast