Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default moving? best firearm friendly state ?

I am considering moving south, out of the snow belt, for health reasons. I have permanent damage to my lower spine ( neuromuscular and neurological), my left knee, and suffer arthritis and edema in many of my joints. I was considering moving to North Carolina, but I thought I would ask for opinions from our culturally varied and experienced members. I open carry 95% of the time. Thoughts ?
    Last edited by DClan; April 25th, 2012 at 01:11 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: moving? best firearm friendly state ?

http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

I think one of the best states to move to would be VA, but they still get snow.

NC is considered a Gold Star OC state, however I know they have some rather restrictive and/or hoop-laden carry permitting process.

As I am unsure of much else that is all the help I can be. Hope it's worth something.

AZ is nice also if you were considering not staying on the east coast.

Go to this website: http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/

It has a map of the United States with each state being scored from 0, weakest gun laws, to 100, strongest gun laws. Arizona scores 0 with Texas and New Mexico each getting 4 points. Some other states: Florida 3, Mississippi 4, Louisiana 2.

Please thank the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence for creating this informative helpful tool for people like yourself who are looking for a firearm friendly state.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Doe View Post
    Go to this website: http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/

It has a map of the United States with each state being scored from 0, weakest gun laws, to 100, strongest gun laws. Arizona scores 0 with Texas and New Mexico each getting 4 points. Some other states: Florida 3, Mississippi 4, Louisiana 2.
    huh? That map is full of fail..

Please thank the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence for creating this informative helpful tool for people like yourself who are looking for a firearm friendly state.
    UHMM.. No, Sorry Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by kbcobra26 View Post
    huh? That map is full of fail..

UHMM.. No, Sorry Charlie
    How so? They break down the state, listing all of the restrictive draconian gun laws they award points for. The dark red states have very few gun laws. The only thing not covered in those reports by the Brady Campaign is Open Carry. But they do address Shall Issue.

I would use this map along with the open carry map submitted in the second post of this thread to find a firearm friendly state to move to. What is wrong with using a gun control lobby's report to the advantage of a gun owner seeking a gun friendly state?
    Last edited by Jon Doe; April 25th, 2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Factual error corrected.

(Lycoming County)

How so? They break down the state, listing all of the restrictive draconian gun laws they award points for. The dark red states have very few gun laws. The only thing not covered in those reports by the Brady Campaign is Open Carry. But they do address Shall Issue.

I would use this map along with the open carry map submitted in the second post of this thread to find a firearm friendly state to move to. What is wrong with using a gun control lobby's report to the advantage of a gun owner seeking a gun friendly state?
    Well, I dunno about the laws in too many states, but the ones that stood out to me are Texas that doesn't even allow open carry, and Ohio that has their 'Duty to Inform bullshit'.. so I dunno how those states scored better than us on the 'Brady Scale'

As for using their info for our benefit, I would suggest against it as they are just avid anti's and don't really know anything about guns or gun laws except that they want all guns banned because Brady was shot by some nut back in the day...

But I dunno, maybe their info is accurate, I've been wrong before

(Cumberland County)

It seems to me North Carolina has restrictions on where you can carry, like not in bars or restaurants. Also the taxes in North Carolina are VERY high. I like to say they put the North in North Carolina. When I was kicking around the idea of moving to Charlotte, I was looking at heading across the border to South Carolina. I did enjoy the Knoxville TN area while based there and thought about moving there also.

Here is a link to North Carololina laws: http://ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a...-gun-Laws.aspx
    Notice no public gatherings like parades!

Here is the NRA link to check out multiple states quickly:http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws.aspx
    Last edited by Neilthepilot; April 25th, 2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added link

(Northampton County)

Don't forget to check NFA as well:

http://www.bodermansports.com/html/nfa_states.html

(first link I found, looks accurate from what I know)

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by kbcobra26 View Post
    Well, I dunno about the laws in too many states, but the ones that stood out to me are Texas that doesn't even allow open carry, and Ohio that has their 'Duty to Inform bullshit'.. so I dunno how those states scored better than us on the 'Brady Scale'

As for using their info for our benefit, I would suggest against it as they are just avid anti's and don't really know anything about guns or gun laws except that they want all guns banned because Brady was shot by some nut back in the day...

But I dunno, maybe their info is accurate, I've been wrong before
    Not to mention Illinios got a 35 and there the worst state in the country as far as gun laws go. They dont even issue permits lol They should of scored a 100 imo lol

(Jefferson County)

GA requires a permit to carry openly. Some asinine prohibited places.
    SC doesn't allow open carry.
    FL doesn't allow open carry.
    NC has an asinine list of prohibited places, but unlicensed OC is legal.
    VA has a list of prohibited places similar to PA. Unlicensed OC is legal.
    DE has a list of prohibited places similar to PA. Unlicensed OC is legal(except Dover?)
    MD is just horrible for gun laws.
    KY has a list of prohibited places similar to PA. Unlicensed OC is legal.
    TN has a list of prohibited places that exceeds PA's. Unlicensed OC is legal.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast