Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Legal question, say you were to report someone...

OK, say for the sake of argument that your a little tattle tale shit. And a friend reveled to you, by accident, through ignorance of the law that he had a 14.7 inch AR with a extended flash hider on, but its not pinned and its not a pistol and its not SBR'd. (I'm using this as an example, it could be any closely related NFA item, such as pistol uppers in the same room with factory rifle lowers, etc)

Ok, so say you knew this and your the little shit you are and you called local PD. Would they do anything or give a shit? IF they did, how would they MOST LIKELY go about pursuing this being its in ones home and not out in public like a MWAG call? I mean, other than one unreliable persons report, theres no hard evidence this illegal gun exists?

Also, what would the ATF do if you reported this?

Or to get more in depth. What if a person reported someone and say they knew it was illegal to just screw the flash hider on, but they put red loctite or super glue, or JB weld on the threads so theres NO way your getting that off with tools....would that be investigated? would they actually bust you for that? like would it go to the ATF office and they expose it to a torch with a thermometer to see if goes to a 1000 degrees before it comes off? Has there ever been a case where someoen was prosecuted for this? I mean a everyday person, not someone whos already a criminal and they are adding as many gun charges as they can. Just Joe Shmoe drug out of his house, shot his dog, took his guns, etc.
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; April 24th, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
    [account deactivated]

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Legal question, say you were report someone

Legal questions should only be answered by those who practice law.

Where would a 14.7 inch AR come from? Is it 14.7 inch barrel or 14.7 inch OAL?
    Last edited by ByblosHex; April 24th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

The barrel

This is just for curiousity sake, like any other convo we have on this board. I only ask becuase I recently built a 14.7 and I wanted to follow the law and I was asking a lot of questions. I ended up going with the pin and solder method, personally... But I was just curious as to how much attention LE actually pays to it. Ive heard of stories where dealers at gun shows will sell a barrel thats pinned with JB weld instead of solder or weld. Has anyone ever been busted for that?

Like I have two adults in my house, I can home brew 200 gallons of home brew. If I were to home brew 201 gallons...I'm pretty sure no one would care. Or if I were one adult and I brewed 101 gallons. No one brews that much anyway...but just saying. And the reason I used that example is because we have a brew supplies shop and it of course comes up in convo as to how much a person can brew at one time. Ive never even heard of a regular joe blow being busted for over amount of currently brewing home brew. Becuase it only to applies whats brewing. not raw materials or post brew. Much like gun parts as apposed to full guns and receivers.
    [account deactivated]

(Clarion County)

First off consider why this bothers you in the first place ?
    Consider is the guy dangerous to himself or others ?
    Is your reason for this personal or other wise ?

Consider these things fisrt , Why is it important to you ?

If it's you , don't get caught with it !
    Last edited by dman; April 24th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.

Did you read my posts? This refers to NO ONE. I'm asking becuase I JUST BUILT a new 14.7" AR and I wanted to make sure I jumped through all of the proper hoops in order to be legal. But being they are all so monotonous a downright silly...you would have to think that any normal, sane-minded, logical person would have to wonder, if one were to violate these, would the cops/ATF even care?

Like if you were to call the PLCB because you could see through your neighbors window and say hes 20 years old...in the military, upstanding person that serves the public, not a criminal, in his own home minding his own business enjoying a cold brew...and you reported him. Would anyone even bother wasting the brain power to even think about pursuing prosecuting this person?
    [account deactivated]

(Montgomery County)

These hypotheticals are a bit tedious. I will stick to the 14.7 inch question, only.

What does it matter? There are so many laws on the books in America, anyone can be brought to "Justice." For example, are you entirely in compliance with the Lacey Act??? can you say with confidence that you are entirely in compliance with the Internal Revenue Code??? In short, you are innocent until investigated. The quicker you realize this and understand the totalitarian police state the United States has become, the better off you will be.

I am addressing this strange and hypothetical question in a philosophical fashion. Ask questions yourself and figure out your world, it may make your journey a bit longer and less expensive.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Delaware County)

I may be off base but upon reading your op I think the question you are asking is what would the authorities do if someone reported it.

I think it depends on who it is reported to. If it is reported to the atf they may do something but if you reported it to the locals they may not. Really is a hard question to answer.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    Would they do anything or give a shit? Also, what would the ATF do if you reported this?

Has there ever been a case where someoen was prosecuted for this? I mean a everyday person, not someone whos already a criminal and they are adding as many gun charges as they can. Just Joe Shmoe drug out of his house, shot his dog, took his guns, etc.
    Google the name "Randy Weaver" or "Ruby Ridge" if you REALLY want to know just how far .gov will push an issue. "Adding charges, shooting dogs, taking guns?......... Try shooting dogs, wives who are actively breast-feeding an infant, shooting children in the back........ yeah, .gov is NOT someone you want snooping around.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Google the name "Randy Weaver" or "Ruby Ridge" if you REALLY want to know just how far .gov will push an issue. "Adding charges, shooting dogs, taking guns?......... Try shooting dogs, wives who are actively breast-feeding an infant, shooting children in the back........ yeah, .gov is NOT someone you want snooping around.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

Holy shit guys, this isn't that hard of a question.

Down to nuts and bolts, what I'm asking is this...

What is the investigation/prosecution rate and or process of borderline infractions of victimless firearm laws like this. IE: Just say, I JB welded my dowel pin in my extended flash hider of my gun. And my neighbor saw me through my window doing this and he calls the local PD. Would they have a likelihood of caring about this? Would they investigate? Would they tell the caller to get a life and quit being a tattle tale shit? Would they come out and kick my door in and shoot my dog? would they pass it up the chain of command to the ATF so they could come shoot my dog? Who would be shooting my dogs? Do I need to get kevlar for my dogs?

OK, that last sentence was a joke, but hopefully you get the idea. I don't see whats so hard about this. It really got me thinking, because us law abiding gun owners really get technical on being compliant with our gun laws simply because we like to be legal. But I cant help but wonder do they even prosecute for shit like this? For instance, we always tell customers to consult their attorney for confirmation, but the way we understand it, your not allowed to brew more than 100 gallons of brew per adult, up to 200 in your residents for personal use.....but we're law abiding citizens. I've never heard of someone being busted for brewing more than that. Hell...some people are even dumb enough to admit they distil moonshine and actually come in looking for materials to do so. I'm like...uhh...yeah we dont carry that stuff and I'd suggest you keep your mouth shut about your deviance of federal law. And they say oh no its legal because its for personal use. I'm like....I don't think so, Tim.

And also, that randy weaver thing was just ridiculous. Thats not even related here and is not what I'm talking about. ANd as for my other hypothetical like the 20 year old serviceman enjoying a beer, thats for descriptive purposes only. I'm not expecting someone to answer that.
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; April 24th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
    [account deactivated]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast