Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default 21 years and 14 days?

Own a gun store in Tioga county. My son just turned 21 and is headed to the Colorado school of Gunsmithing. I thought he had just enough time to apply for his CCW. I took him today and was told that the law said 21 years and 14 days. He will be gone for 14 months once he leaves. I looked at the law and it seems to say 21 years. Can anyone fill me in on this 14 days thing? I thought they would at least take the application and process it after the date they wanted, they would not do that. Shotgunner

Default Re: 21 years and 14 days?

Nope. 21 is the age... no 14 day thing.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

(b) Place of application.--An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. If the applicant is a resident of this Commonwealth, he shall make application with the sheriff of the county in which he resides or, if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.

(Dauphin County)

Here's the statute, (truncated):
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
    (a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.
    (b) Place of application.--An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. If the applicant is a resident of this Commonwealth, he shall make application with the sheriff of the county in which he resides or, if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.
    (c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. One of the following reasons for obtaining a firearm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fishing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason. The application form shall be dated and signed by the applicant and shall contain the following statement:
    I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have never been committed to a mental institution. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that, if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms, I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city.
    21 years and 14 days??? Unless someone else knows something about this that I don't, I'd be back there tomorrow AM.

(by the way, the whole statute, and many others relevant to firearms laws in PA, are available by clicking the "Reference Library" link at the top of the page, towards the right.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Chester County)

The law is quite clear that the age requirement is met on one's 21st birthday:

18 Pa CS 6109(B) An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth.
    Suggest your son go back tomorrow with the application and a copy of s. 6109 in hand - if they repeat their erroneous advice ask for a citation or a supervisor.

Link to s. 6109
    IANAL

So far I have taken two of my daughters to the Bucks County Sheriff's Office on their 21st birthdays and obtained their LTCF without a problem.

OP, you may have to challenge the facility that gave you false information to reach your goal with your son. As others have already cited, they aren't following the law as written and you have that law on your side. BTW, the best of luck (and studying skills) to your son.
    Last edited by ErSwnn; April 28th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    The law is quite clear that the age requirement is met on one's 21st birthday:

Suggest your son go back tomorrow with the application and a copy of s. 6109 in hand - if they repeat their erroneous advice ask for a citation or a supervisor.

Link to s. 6109
    This is exactly what I would do.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Tioga County)

This situation is resolved. All we did was call, during the middle of the day, and explain our position. The sheriff was happy to help us out. The 14 days is a local rule and not the law. I think that I had a problem the first time because I showed up moments before closing time. He was issued his permit and is ready for his trip. I think it is best to be polite and ask for help, before making demands.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunner View Post
    The 14 days is a local rule and not the law . . . I think it is best to be polite and ask for help, before making demands.
    Only when they are following the rules and you want some special consideration. When they are making up the rules as they go, all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunner View Post
    This situation is resolved. All we did was call, during the middle of the day, and explain our position. The sheriff was happy to help us out. The 14 days is a local rule and not the law. I think that I had a problem the first time because I showed up moments before closing time. He was issued his permit and is ready for his trip. I think it is best to be polite and ask for help, before making demands.
    It's a shame that, once again, we see that some PA sheriffs (and Philly police chief) make up their own special "local rules" concerning the PA LTCF application process. What part of "uniform process" don't they understand?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    It's a shame that, once again, we see that some PA sheriffs (and Philly police chief) make up their own special "local rules" concerning the PA LTCF application process. What part of "uniform process" don't they understand?
    I agree but if people let them do it they will continue to do it.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast