Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Tuscarora Township

I'm buying a house in Tuscarora Township, Newport (out past Wila) and I was wondering what types of laws/ordinances/whatever they might have regarding shooting on your property?

I'd like to shoot on the property if I can. If I can, it looks like I may only have 1 direction to shoot in, but I'll have to check it out more once I own the property.

I did some searching online but didn't find much. All I found was a zoning document said that shooting on your property occasionally is not considered a noise nuisance or something like.

I've heard from other people that some townships require that you be a certain distance from other houses or you have to own a certain amount of land.

Also, are there any ranges out that way? I'm not aware of any. Currently using the New Bloomfield Sportsman's Association range. Most of the time I go there, there isn't anyone else (during the week) but I would love to shoot somewhere without having to wait on other people.

Default Re: Tuscarora Township

I'm about 7 miles from Wila, near Ickesburg. I belong to the Ickesburg Sportsmans Assn. & it's normally not crowded during the week. They're pretty big on Cowboy Action shooting there & you'll see a lot of activity the week preceeding their shoots. Otherwise I'm usually alone, or there may be another shooter or two.

I can't help you with the zoning ordinances.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I'm about 7 miles from Wila, near Ickesburg. I belong to the Ickesburg Sportsmans Assn. & it's normally not crowded during the week. They're pretty big on Cowboy Action shooting there & you'll see a lot of activity the week preceeding their shoots. Otherwise I'm usually alone, or there may be another shooter or two.

I can't help you with the zoning ordinances.
    I was there once to watch a Cowboy shooting event. Is that separate from the rest of the range? I don't recall seeing anything else there as far as tables and stuff, but that was several years ago and I wasn't looking at the other range stuff.

How many tables/lanes and and at what ranges do they have?

The New Bloomfield one only has 2 100 yd range tables and 1 50 yd table and if someone is using the 50 yd table, you can't use the 100 yd tables because it's all 1 "lane".

(Perry County)

If anyone has any private land close by to use and would be willing to let me use it, that would be great too.

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I was there once to watch a Cowboy shooting event. Is that separate from the rest of the range? I don't recall seeing anything else there as far as tables and stuff, but that was several years ago and I wasn't looking at the other range stuff.

How many tables/lanes and and at what ranges do they have?

The New Bloomfield one only has 2 100 yd range tables and 1 50 yd table and if someone is using the 50 yd table, you can't use the 100 yd tables because it's all 1 "lane".
    If someone is using the Cowboy range, you can't shoot the rifle/pistol target range & vice versa. There are 4 benches under roof & targets are set up at 25, 50, 100, & 150yds. If you shoot lead bullets from your handgun, you can shoot on the Cowboy range. I load lead for practice in my 1911 & G21 & it's positively a blast shooting the steel from the Cowboy stations. You can burn up 200 rounds before you know it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Perry County)

My property is in both Juniata and Tuscarora Twp., split about 2/3-1/3 with my house in Juniata. I shoot all of the time as do most of my neighbors. I'm not aware of any ordinance and certainly no enforcement of same.

I was stationed in Newport for over eight years. Most complaints of shooting were handled with "And" which was usually followed by "I just moved here from _____, this can't be legal!"

Unless your bullets are going toward the neighbor's house, you should be fine. Even safety zones don't apply since you aren't hunting. The only thing I would limit, as with any other excessive noise, is very late or very early hours.

I am going to set up some type of 3 gun course on my property over the next couple of months; combine fitness with shooting.

I'm between Hominy Ridge and Buckwheat Valley.
    Last edited by unclejumbo; May 5th, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Perry County)

I'll be on Pine Needle Drive.

would not be early or late.

Earliest would be 10:00 AM, but most likely not until after noon and and I'd be done well before it got dark, probably no later than 6 or 7 PM during the summer. it wouldn't be during that entire time either, maybe an hour or 2 on the days I am off work.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; May 5th, 2012 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    My property is in both Juniata and Tuscarora Twp., split about 2/3-1/3 with my house in Juniata. I shoot all of the time as do most of my neighbors. I'm not aware of any ordinance and certainly no enforcement of same.

I was stationed in Newport for over eight years. Most complaints of shooting were handled with "And" which was usually followed by "I just moved here from _____, this can't be legal!"

Unless your bullets are going toward the neighbor's house, you should be fine. Even safety zones don't apply since you aren't hunting. The only thing I would limit, as with any other excessive noise, is very late or very early hours.

I am going to set up some type of 3 gun course on my property over the next couple of months; combine fitness with shooting.

I'm between Hominy Ridge and Buckwheat Valley.
    I'm just down the road in center city Eshcol.
    Thomas Sowell

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I'm just down the road in center city Eshcol.
    I was driving by your house everyday on my way to Chambersburg before I retired.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato