Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Place to shoot-Butler County

I've shot a the Wexford SGL a few times and after the last time I was there, I decided not to go back. The only time I've had a good experience was when I went out shooting after a 10"-12" snowfall in the mid-morning. Me and the guys I was with were the only ones there. Otherwise, every time I've been there (which has been admittedly few times and not in over a year now) it's like a warzone. The last time I was there it was so crowded that people were shooting from wherever they could get elbow room. One guy with an SKS was probably a good four feet behind the firing line blasting away. A friend of mine also got a completely bogus fine for "violating" the six shot rule last year (he didn't). I belong to Millvale Sportmen's which is on the other side of the Wexford SGL and you can hear the torrent of gunfire all the time so it hasn't slowed down at all.

I would advise joining one of the local clubs and enjoy your peace and personal safety. All the ones I know of were mentioned already in this thread so I can't add on to that.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Butler County)

After attending a pistol safety course at Summit Sportsman Club, I decided to join the club since I needed a place to shoot. I went to the club meeting and joined and then took a walk back to the ranges. Very nice ranges and a trap shooting area also. This past Tuesday I had to go to Butler to pick something up and decided to put all my guns in the car and stop at the range and shoot a while. When I got there I saw the gate was locked so I knew I'd have the place to myself, which I did. I shot the pistols I had recently purchased and took along a tactical shotgun I had bought, but never shot. The Mossberg worked, even if it did beat up my shoulder and the pistols all worked. I cleaned up all my empties and left after maybe 1 hour and a half. I locked the gate when I left and said to myself that was a good time.

(Mercer County)

Recently moving to Cranberry from up north, I looked for a place to shoot. I read some very bad comments about the WSGL and was very hesitant to even give it a try. I was very glad that I did... The range was nice and the people were friendly. Yes, there were about 12-15 shooters, but what do you expect for a free range?

The line cleared every time someone called for it and not one person got snippy when it was called for.

I had a rather enjoyable time. I, like some of you had stated, would have liked to at least see the pistol range divided from the rifle range, but it just wasn't a problem.

I'll be heading back very soon!

(Allegheny County)

After the permit requirement it seems to be a better. Not good but better. The new pistol range that is separate from the rifle range should be opening soon. In another thread someone said Aug 7 but did not have a reference.

I still do most of my shooting at PMSC. But the SGL is so close it's worth it sometimes when I just want to shoot a little and don't have allot of time.

(Mercer County)

Oh, is that what's going in a just down the road? Nice!

(Butler County)

There is also Mars rod and Gun club.

http://www.marsrodandgunclub.org/

I just checked their membership area. Membership is closed , check back in December.

Might be good to keep in mind for the future. It's not far from Cranberry. Maybe 5 miles.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPACC View Post
    I read some very bad comments about the WSGL and was very hesitant to even give it a try. I was very glad that I did... The range was nice and the people were friendly. Yes, there were about 12-15 shooters, but what do you expect for a free range?
    Don't they have some bizarro_nazi limits on number of rounds? Like 6 per pistol mag and 2 per rifle? Downloading magazines makes me mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimba View Post
    There is also Mars rod and Gun club.

http://www.marsrodandgunclub.org/

Might be good to keep in mind for the future. It's not far from Cranberry. Maybe 5 miles.
    Those 5 miles will cost you 30 minutes on a good day, unless you happen to be on the North side of Cranberry and can avoid rt228. Still some nice country back there though. I don't know anyone who is a member there despite having lived in Mars and then Cranberry for many years.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Don't they have some bizarro_nazi limits on number of rounds? Like 6 per pistol mag and 2 per rifle? Downloading magazines makes me mental.
    Yes, 6 for pistol and 3 for rifle. I went out today with the Rem1911 I bought yesterday and had a rather good time. Talked to some real nice people and made Swiss cheese out of a target.

I took my 5yo daughter out for her first time shooting the 22 and when I realized I forgot my binoculars the guy next to us offered up his.

I think the needing to have a permit or hunting licens has deterred some of the riffraff from coming out.

(McKean County)

I have been to the state game lands range off Mingo road in Wexford several times. For a free range I think its good - convenient enough that I will keep going back until I can find a privte club or better range to go to.
    The bad experiences mentioned here I have not enountered.

Prof

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by professor9 View Post
    I have been to the state game lands range off Mingo road in Wexford several times. For a free range I think its good - convenient enough that I will keep going back until I can find a privte club or better range to go to.
    The bad experiences mentioned here I have not enountered.

Prof
    It's technically not a free range... In order to shoot their legally, you have to either have a hunting license, fur taking license, or purchase a one year range license for $30. As far as the range goes, the new pistol range is pretty nice. I just can't stand how busy it is all of the time. Its not exactly a good place to go if you want to frequently put fresh targets up to keep track of where your shot placement is.

Once December rolls around I'll more than likely be joining the Mars Rod and Gun Club. Really close for me, and seems to be reasonable with it's rules from what I can tell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12