Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Did PA ever have a CCW Permit?

I got my first one over 30 years ago (damn, that makes me feel old) and it said "License to Carry Firearms."

(Bucks County)

Any person can carry a pistol or a revolver in their car or on their person, provided they have a license to do so.
    Interesting....so when/why was the word "concealed" inserted later on? Or was it there then too, but the media worded it this way?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    I got my first one over 30 years ago (damn, that makes me feel old) and it said "License to Carry Firearms."
    You have a better memory than I do. I received my first one in the spring of 1973 and I cannot even remember what it looked like let along what it said. I know it was just a white piece of paper and I needed local police chief sign off on application. The chief would have a sign off night once a month and he would meet residents between 6:30 pm and 8:00 pm to sign off on the applications.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdjs View Post
    You have a better memory than I do.
    Some things stick in my memory and others, like the order that electron orbits fill, don't.

(Philadelphia County)

My buddy says that his "permit" was issued from Delaware County Sheriff approximately 15-18 years ago. He swears up and down that it read Concealed Carry Weapons Permit. Now, he is the kind of guy that never likes to be wrong and will stick to his thinking until proven wrong. This is a friendly discussion between him and I and there isn't any kind of arguing. We are good friends and it is more of a conversation just to see who is right like some of the other debates we have for fun. He says that if he still had it, he would show it to me, but I think his memory is shot and he might be remembering something else...LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by .45Kimber1911 View Post
    My buddy says that his "permit" was issued from Delaware County Sheriff approximately 15-18 years ago. He swears up and down that it read Concealed Carry Weapons Permit. Now, he is the kind of guy that never likes to be wrong and will stick to his thinking until proven wrong. This is a friendly discussion between him and I and there isn't any kind of arguing. We are good friends and it is more of a conversation just to see who is right like some of the other debates we have for fun. He says that if he still had it, he would show it to me, but I think his memory is shot and he might be remembering something else...LOL.
    Maybe he's thinking of the PA Sportsman's Firearm Permit? It is not issued by the sheriff though.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Interesting....so when/why was the word "concealed" inserted later on? Or was it there then too, but the media worded it this way?
    I think the media just worded it that way. I'm pretty sure the law said "concealed" in it. The media and lots of people cannot distinguish between OC and CC.

There is always the argument that "CCW" or any variation of that will mean that a person must conceal. ...which legally has never been a requirement in ANY state. But PA's "LTCF" name does in fact cause people to believe that a person must have a license to merely carry a handgun - which one does not. One only needs a LTCF to conceal it or carry in a vehicle(plus the Philly and emergency things).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is always the argument that "CCW" or any variation of that will mean that a person must conceal. ...which legally has never been a requirement in ANY state.
    I don't think that's true.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    I don't think that's true.
    Point out a state where open carry is legal, whether licensed or unlicensed, that a licensee must conceal their gun.

There are none.

In the seven states that open carry is completely illegal, their respective laws requires that the licensee keep it concealed. However, in no state that still allows open carry does the licensee have to conceal the gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by .45Kimber1911 View Post
    Got a friend of mine that swears up and down that he used to have a CCW Permit in Delaware County years ago. He keeps trying to lecture me on if you have a permit, you have to conceal or otherwise it's brandishing. I have searched and can't find anything on the internet that dates back far enough to give me an answer if PA ever had a CCW Permit and what the requirements were if there ever was one.

Anyone know when PA specifically stated issuing LTCF and not a CCW?
    The word concealed does not appear on a PA. LTCF.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast