Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Base Board Electric Heat

Does anyone on here have base board electric heat? I am looking into buying a house that has this for the only type of heat and I am told its super expensive and not even looking at houses with this form of heat. The house is 1,216 square feet. Anyone have any insight into this?

Default Re: Base Board Electric Heat

My last house had baseboard electric, and yes it's expensive. I only bought it because I planned on using a pellet stove. It was a little smaller 1,100sq. It does have its advantages that they’re cheap to maintain and replace, and you don't need to worry about oil fill ups. It's a decent option for a weekend place. When I still lived in the Pocono's oil was cheap, but now oil and natural gas is way up so the cost difference may not be as large.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lehigh County)

It's more expensive to run, but on a smaller home, if it's well insulated, you will be fine. The cost to replace the electric heat with oil or gas versus the cost savings in heating bills is probably not worth it.

Dave,
    retired builder/contractor

P.S. since you are in N'pton Cnty, check PPL website for estimated numbers
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Venango County)

this type of heat can be expensive, but...if you have an all electric house, you can get some kind of breaks in the price as well.....Not really sure how that works, but I do know it can be done

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    this type of heat can be expensive, but...if you have an all electric house, you can get some kind of breaks in the price as well.....Not really sure how that works, but I do know it can be done
    Good point about the all electric home. PPL does an energy audit for cheap or free, based on your income. There are insulation/energy upgrades available too.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Erie County)

I heat 3800 sqft with electric BB. I was getting ready to switch to GAS in 2002 when the cost of GAS started shooting up. Electric is not that expensive anymore (relatively speaking) . 1300 sqft is not bad. If it is a tight house, it won't be that out of line.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tourrider View Post
    I heat 3800 sqft with electric BB. I was getting ready to switch to GAS in 2002 when the cost of GAS started shooting up. Electric is not that expensive anymore (relatively speaking) . 1300 sqft is not bad. If it is a tight house, it won't be that out of line.
    Tourrider, would you be able to post, or pm me with what your monthly electric bill is during the winter? It would be helpful to see. Thanks.

(Luzerne County)

I am an HVAC contractor and own and operate my own company for 20 years and DO NOT let anyone tell you electric is not that bad cost wise. If gas was to double right now gas would still be cheaper. I do have the gas (natural) vs. electric analysis I did at the beginning of the heating season using defined outputs so that the btu/h were equal and I can email them to you if you would drop me a PM. You would indeed have a payback by converting to NG if it is available to you.

Keep in mind that within 2 years expect an increase to exceed 30% in electric as the electric company keeps getting closer to total deregulation. My analysis does not take this increase into account so there is even more reason to change.
    Another option is a heatpump if you can not get NG and prior to this year I would have never recommended a Heat Pump but as of this year with the new inverter technology to allow variable speed compressors there is a significant energy savings along with much less need to run backup resistive heat.

I actually installed such a heatpump for my brother who was using oil he is thrilled with his heating bills this winter and he also now has central A/C.

Oh, also I do not service your county so I am not soliciting any business, I am simply advising with accurate information so that you may make a wise and informed decision.
    Last edited by CCinPA; February 16th, 2008 at 06:34 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by pullpin View Post
    Tourrider, would you be able to post, or pm me with what your monthly electric bill is during the winter? It would be helpful to see. Thanks.
    My average for last 12 months is 385 /month

that's heat for 3850 sqft
    hot water
    hot tub runs 24/7/365
    pool pump april to oct

And a wife and 6 girls that cannot seem to tun off lights, and shut a door behind them. two older daughters think they need a shower twice a day.

So I am ok with that number

(Venango County)

lights turn off??? what a concept!

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast