Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk hunting

Default Elk hunting update: 2014 Draw

Well, the good news. My wife and I were both drawn for cow elk in Arizona, Zone 1 ES. It's on the AZ/NM border, a 6000 acre special hunt zone within unit 1 that includes an 11,000 foot mountain. We were drawn for the last hunt of the season, December 7th-13.

I think it will be real interesting. Being that it's a wilderness area within a National Forest, Apache, there is no motorized traffic allowed. Foot or horse/mule only. Good thing I have four horses...LOL

To say I am excited is an understatement. Just sharing the good news.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; March 22nd, 2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: new info

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Elk hunting

Hey congrats! That's so great! Elk meat all around when you get back, right? hahaha j/k...that's some good stuff!

My dad lives in Utah and he goes Elk hunting every year! He went on a buffalo hunt too a few years ago, and always goes deer hunting as well. He has been putting his name into the Moose lottery for years, though, now, and still hasn't won a tag....

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes! Oh and my dad has elk jerky made every year too....and evidently its REALLY good, cuz he won't send me any! I guess he keeps it all for himself! :-)
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Lehigh County)

Good luck we need pictures when you return. Rifle or archery?
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Clinton County)

What kind of horses do you have?
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    Good luck we need pictures when you return. Rifle or archery?
    Rifle. I've never had an interest in Archery. However, seeing that I'm going to retire from the Army to Arizona, seems the only way to get some serious bull tags is archery. Guess I have new skills to learn...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    What kind of horses do you have?
    Quarter----there are other breeds?

CL

Heck yeah, I'm glad that you're getting to go elk hunting, congrats. I'm going to go elk hunting in Colorado this year. What rifle are you going to use? Do you already have what you want, or is it just another excuse to buy another rifle? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Heck yeah, I'm glad that you're getting to go elk hunting, congrats. I'm going to go elk hunting in Colorado this year. What rifle are you going to use? Do you already have what you want, or is it just another excuse to buy another rifle? lol
    My father in law has bagged several elk, same as my mother in law but he has never bagged a bull. I told him we should go to Colorado and buy an over the counter state wide bull tag. He's 63 and toward the end of his hiking all over gods green earth hunting life, especially up 10K plus mountains. Just might end up in Colorado this fall too, which would be fine with me.
    Retiring from Army, I'll go in debt up to my ass to hunt and try to make up for all the years I missed running around the world Playing international security guard. LOL

Interesting you ask if I have what I need. Yes, I do have what I need. I have several rifles that will fulfill the job of meat in the freezer( 30-06, 45-70, 44 mag lever run). However, I'm also buying a couple new rifles, both Remington 700's in 300 Win Mag.
    Other than that, I'm pretty well set...LOL

CL

(Blair County)

I have oversize stirrups, panniers, scabbards and saddle covers if you need them. If your horses have not been exposed to blood and large dead mammals you may be in for an eye opening experience. Picture broken girth staps rifles trashed and what started out as a straight bit ending up like a broken bit.

I have been there and done that "witnessed" . Make sure your horses are up to it. Certified hay will need supplemented with sweet feed for the energy at that elevation.
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

Congrats and enjoy your trip!

Remember pics or it didn't happen.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOVEL View Post
    I have oversize stirrups, panniers, scabbards and saddle covers if you need them. If your horses have not been exposed to blood and large dead mammals you may be in for an eye opening experience. Picture broken girth staps rifles trashed and what started out as a straight bit ending up like a broken bit.

I have been there and done that "witnessed" . Make sure your horses are up to it. Certified hay will need supplemented with sweet feed for the energy at that elevation.
    Hey, your not the guy from PA I meet in Colorado Elk hunting in 2009 who I helped bag a nice muley buck up near Craig are ya?
    Thanks for offering to let me borrow gear. Being new to Arizona, we are planning to go to the hunt area several times this summer on weekend trips to get a good feel for the place. My horse has been around a number of dead, fresh killed, critters. My wife's new horse, well, we got some training to do yet. LOL Scabbbars we have, panniers we don't have but have decided to go with a sawbuck over a decker.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; April 19th, 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast