Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default A unreliable pump shotgun?

Are all pump shotguns reliable?

I ask this because it seems like no matter what pump shotgun is being discussed, be it a Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Winchester 1300, Ithaca 37, High Standard, Charles Daly, etc. almost all of these are described as reliable. As such, it seems like there's some sort of inherent reliability to the design of pump shotguns that makes one wonder whether if when making a comparison of shotguns to even speak of its "reliability" is necessary.

Furthermore, it seems like even clones of the shotguns that I mentioned above are almost always deemed to be reliable.

As such, is there such a thing as an unreliable pump shotgun? Have you ever encountered one? If so, share your experiences.

(Berks County)

Default Re: A unreliable pump shotgun?

I've only ever owned a 870 and a Benelli Nova .... never once has either failed to cycle .... hence I would deem both to be reliable.

My buddy had a Mossberg 500 that was twitchy with ejection but I never shot it so it could have been operator error as well. ( I am sure someone always has a freind or a friend of a friend ...so that is why I keep my comments to those firearms I have first hand expierence with ).
    Last edited by Zeke2A; April 17th, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Washington County)

Century's Ultra 87 pump is a complete piece of junk.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Dauphin County)

I bought an el cheapo Maverick 88 for just over $100 new and it has never had a problem in the 8yrs I've had it, no matter what I put it through.

(Montgomery County)

The 870 Express can have jamming problems especially with cheaper shells.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo41 View Post
    I bought an el cheapo Maverick 88 for just over $100 new and it has never had a problem in the 8yrs I've had it, no matter what I put it through.
    Same here. I have a Maverick 88 that has never had a hiccup. Also have a Hawk 982 (knockoff of the Remington 870) that has similarly never had a single problem.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    The 870 Express can have jamming problems especially with cheaper shells.
    I never knew that. Can you give me an example of what you'd consider "cheaper shells?"

(Allegheny County)

I wouldn't even say just cheaper shells for the 870 express. I own (my first gun actually) a rather old 870 I use for trap shooting, works with everything I throw at it. Someone recently had a new 870 express at our club and it would jam on Remington and Winchester target loads. By jam, I mean that after shooting, the action would be extremely hard to open to eject and load another shell.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by stud40111 View Post
    I never knew that. Can you give me an example of what you'd consider "cheaper shells?"
    Stuff like the Remington white box trap/skeet stuff. Aluminum rather than real brass.

No problems with higher quality shells like Remington XX target shells.

I'm not saying every shot jams, but you may get 2or3 jams during a 25 shot trap round.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by truss64130 View Post
    I wouldn't even say just cheaper shells for the 870 express. I own (my first gun actually) a rather old 870 I use for trap shooting, works with everything I throw at it. Someone recently had a new 870 express at our club and it would jam on Remington and Winchester target loads. By jam, I mean that after shooting, the action would be extremely hard to open to eject and load another shell.

Luckily, King Shooter Supply stands behind their sales and they had their gunsmith polish the rails on the "fore end tube assembly", at no charge. After that it worked much more smoothly, but it still hates the super cheap rounds.

I suspect that the quality control on the fit and finish on the Express it lower than on the Wingmaster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast