Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default "I'm surprised no one has given you...

...shit about carrying that in here."

Went up the mountain today above St Clair to shoot my dads 22 rifle and in doing so expended the remaining stock of 22 LR we had. So I decided to stop by Walmart to get that, among other things.

Stood at the counter for 5 minutes with no one in site and meandered off to collect everything else I needed. Came back and still no one, so I stood there yet again. After a minute a gentleman came over and the following conversation ensued:

Guy- I am surprised no one here has given you shit about carrying that [Glock 33 in Serpa lvl2] in here.

Me- Nah, [in my experience] people around here are fairly reasonable about open carrying.

Guy- Yeah but some people are just... weird about things.

The conversation went on with him saying you technically need a LTCF to OC, which I attempted to rebute immediately before getting the classic response of "thats why it's called a carry liscense-- you need to carry [ in any manner]."

I of course explained what it actually is ( concealed, vehicle, and city of first class) and suggested he visit this site and browse the forums.

The conversation went on and various things were discussed as we waited 30-45 minutes to get help.

Default Re: "I'm surprised no one has given you...

Quote Originally Posted by mzagoo View Post

Went up the mountain today above St Clair to shoot my dads 22 rifle and in doing so expended the remaining stock of 22 LR we had. So I decided to stop by Walmart to get that, among other things.

Stood at the counter for 5 minutes with no one in site and meandered off to collect everything else I needed. Came back and still no one, so I stood there yet again. After a minute a gentleman came over and the following conversation ensued:

Guy- I am surprised no one here has given you shit about carrying that [Glock 33 in Serpa lvl2] in here.

Me- Nah, [in my experience] people around here are fairly reasonable about open carrying.

The conversation went on with him saying you technically need a LTCF to OC, which I attempted to rebute immediately before getting the classic response of "thats why it's called a carry liscense-- you need to carry [ in any manner]."

I of course explained what it actually is ( concealed, vehicle, and city of first class) and suggested he visit this site and browse the forums.

The conversation went on and various things were discussed as we waited 30-45 minutes to get help.
    why would you wait 30-45 min for service ? you should went to find someone or you should have left and went to the lgs

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    why would you wait 30-45 min for service ? you should went to find someone or you should have left and went to the lgs
    Someone did and it was what seemed like 30-45 minutes.

(York County)

Hopefully, your attempt to help educate him saved someone future grief, and he'll not only check this site out but share it with family and friends. Remember, the more you know ---------------------*

(Luzerne County)

What I like to do at Wally World while waiting is pick up the phone that is usually there at the sporting goods counter and just start pushing buttons until I get a voice on the other end. Usually it is pretty easy to get help from there.

(Beaver County)

Seems like your guy who was surprised that nobody was giving you shit was actually the guy giving you shit. He just did it in a more polite/less scared manner than you were used to. End of the day he still made it his business to tell you what you can and can't do with a gun when he doesn't know the law any better than those "other people."

As for Walmart service, my last attempt to buy ammo from them resulted in a 10 minute wait while my wife or I tried to find someone, then I just walked behind the counter and got what I needed. When I got to the check out (self check) the register red flagged the ammo. A very annoying lady came over, swiped her card and asked me what I was using the ammo in. I said "a gun." She said "what kind of gun?" I said "the none of your fucking business kind. And as I'm obviously not under 21 years old, why don't you just pick either of those (pistol/rifle) and go about your business?" Then she tried to give me some shit about being rung up in sporting goods, which allowed me to cut a promo on her about not having anyone actually working in their bullshit store.

FUCK I hate Walmart.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Seems like your guy who was surprised that nobody was giving you shit was actually the guy giving you shit. He just did it in a more polite/less scared manner than you were used to. End of the day he still made it his business to tell you what you can and can't do with a gun when he doesn't know the law any better than those "other people."

As for Walmart service, my last attempt to buy ammo from them resulted in a 10 minute wait while my wife or I tried to find someone, then I just walked behind the counter and got what I needed. When I got to the check out (self check) the register red flagged the ammo. A very annoying lady came over, swiped her card and asked me what I was using the ammo in. I said "a gun." She said "what kind of gun?" I said "the none of your fucking business kind. And as I'm obviously not under 21 years old, why don't you just pick either of those (pistol/rifle) and go about your business?" Then she tried to give me some shit about being rung up in sporting goods, which allowed me to cut a promo on her about not having anyone actually working in their bullshit store.

FUCK I hate Walmart.
    I would say, based on the context of the entire coversation, he was not just giving me shit. It seemed like more of a convesation starter.

He was cloudy on Pa firearms laws. He HAD his LTCF previously, but let it expire.

I am not shy about telling someone to buzz off-- nothing about this made me feel the need. Maybe after OC for a while that will change.

(Beaver County)

I would say, based on the context of the entire coversation, he was not just giving me shit. It seemed like more of a convesation starter.
    Fair enough. I'm probably older and more bitter than you. And like people less. Heh.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Good for you to take the time and explain in a positive way what a ltcf is and the actual law.

I have been in a few Walmart's plenty of times where there is no one in the sporting good section and no one around. I learned a while ago the easiest way to get someone back there is to call the main store # (look it up on my smartphone) and tell them I need someone in Sporting Goods. Someone is always back within a minute or two.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Good for you to take the time and explain in a positive way what a ltcf is and the actual law.

I have been in a few Walmart's plenty of times where there is no one in the sporting good section and no one around. I learned a while ago the easiest way to get someone back there is to call the main store # (look it up on my smartphone) and tell them I need someone in Sporting Goods. Someone is always back within a minute or two.
    Good idea!

I really didn't think of how long I was waiting, I was engrossed in conversation about firearms and the carrying of such-- which is a topic I happen to enjoy talking about, especially with a neutral-to-pro person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast