Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Who Would Have Expected This?

From no less than the LA Times, here's a great article that highlights one of our shooting sports in a very positive way.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,5222348.story

Hometown U.S.A.: Orefield, Pa.

A gathering of guns and gab
    At a dusty shooting range an hour north of Philadelphia, vintage firearm enthusiasts get together to shoot pistols, play cowboy, and enjoy the company of people who understand.

By Andrew McGill, Morning Call

April 14, 2012, 5:16 p.m.
    Barley Pop Bill showed no mercy. Those outlaws were fixing to steal his beer, and he went vigilante, blasting away with his double-barreled shotgun.

Not satisfied, he drew his twin Ruger Old Army revolvers and riddled the outlaws with lead. As the smoke cleared, he smiled.

Weren't nobody in Orefield, Pa., who'd be taking that brew bucket.

Most friends call him Dale Green. Most people also pass their weekends in more sedate pursuits. But Green was spending his Sunday here at Guthsville Rod & Gun Club in eastern Pennsylvania, dressed from head to toe as a gunslinger of the Old West, sharing pistol smoke with 50 others doing exactly the same thing.

There was enough leather, cowboy boots and six-shooters to fill out a posse. A daughter outshot her father. A rapid-fire barrage of shotgun blasts sent targets — like those of Green's "outlaws" — spinning. And everywhere was that romanticized air of bawdiness, the best of what we imagine about the Old West.

"It's more a social club that shoots than a shooting club that socializes," said Green, who's been pulling on his cowboy hat for 10 years.

They're members of the Single Action Shooting Society, an international organization that hosts competitions in the style of the Old West. Every second Sunday, a crowd meets in Orefield to show their skills in shooting time trials.

With more than 90,000 members worldwide, the society abides by persnickety rules: No weapons designed after 1900, though replicas are OK. Bring pistols, a rifle and a shotgun to the shooting stand. And no sneakers, no T-shirts. You have to look the part.

That means anything from a pair of jeans and a cowboy hat to a full Lone Ranger get-up, complete with chaps and a poncho. As the society's website says, it's "as close as you can get to the Old West short of a time machine."

Each firing station comes with a story. At the first one Green tried, he did some gender bending to play the part of two sisters protecting their beer cask from roving outlaws. Like other shooters, he stood behind the cutout of a cowgirl and fired off at a trio of tins — the outlaws.

Each competitor had a cowboy name — Dancin' Angel, Mustang Megs, the Change brothers. Many skew to silly: There's a "Nota John," whose real name is, unsurprisingly, John. Some have heard rumors of a "Wyatt Hurts" out there somewhere in the desert.

"I've been shooting with some of these guys for eight years, and I still I don't know their names," one cowboy said.

The Change brothers, Loose and No — actually Bob and Tom Ricca — gave Green a run for his money. They've both been shooting at these competitions for nearly a decade, going to as many as 45 a year.

On an Easter meeting, Bob Ricca didn't miss a single target at the bunny station, where the targets were shaped like rabbits. He fired off rounds with a plush rabbit stuffed in his shirt, then, laughing uproariously, he led the crew to the next station, his leather boots with their embroidered "LC" thudding in the dust.

Historical accuracy is everything. While many of the weapons are new, they're carefully designed to emulate the 19th century originals. It makes for some interesting juxtapositions: "Mustang Megs" had horse images laser-etched into the grip of her vintage shotgun.

Green shoots with black powder, unusual in a competition that usually sees smokeless bullets. His rifle makes a big bang and fills the field with smoke, just like its ancestors in the Civil War.

"If you had to go to a gunfight in the Old West, wouldn't you want the biggest bullet around?" he said.

It's that kind of shop talk that brings these masqueraders to this dusty shooting range an hour north of Philadelphia. Most agree that they come more for the company than for the competition. The ribbing and ribaldry are more than enough, Green said.

"It's just fun. You can come out and pretend to be a cowboy," he said. "That's all it is."
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

Default Re: Who Would Have Expected This?

Damn, sounds like fun. I want that single action revolver I've been eying even more now.

I was somewhat surprised that the LA Times did such a nice article about guns, but then I thought, haven't they always tried to compare us to cowboys and saying that we are stuck in the wild west? I don't know, its late and I'm probably reading too much into it.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Erie County)

I figured there might have been more interest in this, guess I was wrong.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

(Allegheny County)

When they run an article that is similar such as a 3 gun match that uses guns like AR's, Glocks, 1911's Benelli's etc then I'd be impressed more. Not knocking cowboy shooting as it looks fun but those are the last guns on the anti's list.

(Erie County)

I wonder what would become of inviting a news reporter (print or TV) to a 3-gun match, and asking them to report on it? Who knows, it could end up being a very positive experience.

(Bucks County)

The reporter is from The Morning Call in Allentown Pa. I guess they are owned by or have connections with The LA Times. I was at the shoot and saw the reporter, but did not know what they were working on.

It is good to see some good press being reported on a shooting sport, instead of all of the negative press out there on guns.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiski Cowboy View Post
    I wonder what would become of inviting a news reporter (print or TV) to a 3-gun match, and asking them to report on it? Who knows, it could end up being a very positive experience.
    It should be as all shooting sports basicly share the same thing with the exception of guns used. I just can't see the LA times having a positive portrayal of semi-auto's.

(Erie County)

My thoughts on the matter, a shooting sport is just that, a shooting sport. It does not matter what types of firearms we are using to shoot the sport, we are still engaged in a competition, we are still shooting for score, and like it or not we are still being timed while doing so. If we portray our chosen sport in a good light, perhaps then others will begin to see how much fun it is to compete in a shooting sport.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiski Cowboy View Post
    My thoughts on the matter, a shooting sport is just that, a shooting sport. It does not matter what types of firearms we are using to shoot the sport, we are still engaged in a competition, we are still shooting for score, and like it or not we are still being timed while doing so. If we portray our chosen sport in a good light, perhaps then others will begin to see how much fun it is to compete in a shooting sport.
    I agree 100%.