Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Indoor Range ReOpening in Mt Penn

This is an official posting from the owners of Sensibly Armed.
    We are in the process of reopening the 6 lane indoor range in Mt Penn, Pa. formerly known as Stoney Creek Outfitters/Fishers Gun Gallery.

Currently it is looking like the middle of May for the range to be open. We have replaced most (99%) of the HVAC system and will also have a classroom with several NRA certified courses and personal protection training courses.

The most up to date info will be posted on our site www.sensiblyarmed.com
    and I will also post updates on the PAFOA forum.

If you have any questions or comments please send them to sensiblyarmed@gmail.com

Looking forward to seeing you at the range!
    Mike Collingwood
    Patrick Kaag
    Last edited by SensiblyArmed; April 15th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.

Default Re: Indoor Range ReOpening in Mt Penn

$15/hr plus a $25 membership fee will still keep me going down to French Creek Outfitters when I need an indoor range, sorry.

Wonder how many gun shops are going to open and close at that location before they realize why business isn't so hot?

(Berks County)

I am glad to hear this. The wife and I will be joining but probably not until the fall. Good luck. I wish you success!

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    $15/hr plus a $25 membership fee will still keep me going down to French Creek Outfitters when I need an indoor range, sorry.
    :
    As a person that tries to shoot once during the week and every weekend during the summer, I am sure I will join the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    Wonder how many gun shops are going to open and close at that location before they realize why business isn't so hot?
    Please explain ?
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    As a person that tries to shoot once during the week and every weekend during the summer, I am sure I will join the range.

Please explain ?
    French creak outfitters is cheaper.

(Schuylkill County)

This good news. I can't wait to try it out.

(Berks County)

This has been discussed..

http://forum.pafoa.org/berks-26/1699...e-opening.html

Good luck with your new business!

(Northampton County)

First congrats to the new owners ,its always great to see another firearms business open up. Secondly I think its great that some of you who are local are going to try them out. To those of you who immediately go negative on a new business step back and think a minute they have to base their prices directly on what there startup and ongoing expenses are going to be. He indicated that they are redoing the range and Hvac systems these are not cheap to do . Also liability insurance for a range operation is not cheap, then if they are opening a store there is inventory. There are a lot of costs that will directly affect a new business's prices. They can't just charge the same rates as the guy down the block who is already established and maybe has lower overhead costs. Years ago the 70's I lived in Wyomissing Hills and later in Mt Penn so I am very familiar with the area, lived right across from the small post office in Mt Penn. We have a similiar story in Easton now with Heritage Guild on south side of Easton - very nice new indoor range and well stocked firearms store some good prices some higher prices including range time $20.00 and hour but when its 20 degrees outside I think I would be inclined to pay $20.00 for an hour to be inside and warm. Also with the rising cost of fuel closer is often cheaper than traveling. Brian / EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    Please explain ?
    Bad name and image from the previous owners. The name on the door and the looks inside can change all they want, but from the outside that building still looks the way it did when the asshats were running it. Dark OD green paint and all the windows covered up does not scream "friendly neighborhood establishment".

I appreciated all the work Stony Creek put into the inside of the place, I know it was a lot of work, and a lot of money invested, and I'm sad to see they couldn't make it work. I hope the new guys can stick it out.

As far as the range prices, unless they're offering something better than FCO, they are going to have to compete with them on price. I understand upstart costs and trying to recoop some of that capital, but charging higher prices will just decrease customer volume and they'll end up making less money anyway.

Look at what FCO offers. The range is similar, but they also have a decent selection of handgun rentals, discounts like Date Night and Ladies Night, no yearly membership fee, and all for less money per hour than Sensibly Armed.

Sensibly Armed does have the classes going for it, and I will be checking those out with great earnest, don't get me wrong. But for regular old range time, they need a better price point.

What would do great is $15/hr/person flat rate for non-members. Go with the $25/yr (or a little more even) membership fee, and have that get you a discount on the range time. Maybe $10/hr, second shooter for $5/hr on the same lane. I know that would really appeal to me, as I go shooting most often with company. Also promotional days are great for moving people in. Date Night, Ladies Night, etc. Maybe pick one day per month for a Brand Night (S&W, Glock, Ruger). How about a league setup, where they pick a day/time every two weeks that league members can shoot their first hour for like $3 and do casual target competitions along with it.

Stoney Creek passed on stuff like this, here's hoping the new guys smarten up.

(Berks County)

IMO Stony Creek got the membership thing right. The few times I have shot at FCO I did not feel safe. Too many yahoos playing cowboy with rental guns and no safety training. I'll be happy to pay a few more dollars for a more controlled range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast