Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Just Joined Cocalico Sportsmen's Association

I mailed in the application about two weeks ago. Their April meeting was on the 11th, and I got my card in the mail on Friday the 13th! I'm pretty excited. It'll be nice not to have to drive an hour or more to go shoot.

I'm looking forward to trying out the skeet range sometime. I've always wanted to go grouse hunting (always seem to flush a few each fall), but I never shot any type of clay targets before. I actually never even owned a shotgun until this past January.

I was torn between Cocalico and Penn Dutch. The rifle ranges seem to be better at Penn Dutch, but what really got me leaning toward Cocalico is the fact that they have a youth 22 rifle league. My son could really use some help (God knows I'm not much of a coach!). Also, I got the impression from the websites that Cocalico seems to have a more "friendly" or "relaxed" atmosphere. I suppose I could join both clubs. We'll see how it goes.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Just Joined Cocalico Sportsmen's Association

I recently joined Penn Dutch. I don't know if it is a league or not but Penn Dutch has Youth 22 days all of the time. I have never been to Cocalico but so far, Penn Dutch seems pretty good.

My only complaint: I have cleaned up far more shells then I have shot. I don't know why it is so hard for some people to clean up after themselves!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Loudy View Post

My only complaint: I have cleaned up far more shells then I have shot. I don't know why it is so hard for some people to clean up after themselves!
    I agree with you about that up there. I clean up far more than I shoot too. But when I take my kids up there, they have a good time collecting brass to recycle.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Have been going to Cocalico since I was a wee little lad. Two main things bug me. The people who feel they need to play cop and ask to see your member card and the fact that guys pick up their brass.(I want the brass for my own reloading dammit)

(Lancaster County)

I have been a member of Cocalico on & off for ten years. Mostly on. Not really any negatives. I did get policed and imediatly turned in by someone, because I forgot my card. He said to me you know if you don't have your card, you aren't allowed toshoot. Isaid, yah. He saiid you know the president is right there cutting the grass. I said nope. Well he bee lined right to him to tell on me. I told my friend i was going to leave so not to make trouble. The president never came up to me. I know he knew i was a valid member because i have had contact with him about issues because i use a powerchair. Buti was in the wrong. But in ten years, that was the first time. I don't mind people asking about cards. I don't want someone shooting that did not pay for that right.

I love shooting clays, and miss it very much. Welcome to Cocalico. Most of the people i have met are very friendly. If you ever see a fat man in a red powerchair, be sure to say hi.

Bill