Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense

(Northampton County)

Default Self Defense

I was curious what people's thoughts were about using full auto for self defense. I'm sure many of you would choose not to do it because you have family in the home, or perhaps you feel you would perform better using semi-auto. I'm more curious if the potential publicity or legal ramifications would make you choose something different. Are there legal ramifications?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Self Defense

Man, oh, man. The news media would have a field day with that. And you might as well just write a check to the bad guy's family for everything you own.

Having said that, if a F/A gun is all you have, by all means protect yourself.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Lycoming County)

personally i think a fully automatic gun would not be the best for personal defense, in the home or urban environment, unless your being attacked by an entire gang or something. 3 round burst would be ok in the home or urban environment. legally i do not BELIEVE you would be doing anything wrong, but it would by no means be politically correct to do so and you would be in a world of shit if you shot someone with a fully automatic gun, no matter what the situation would be.

This is my favorite F/A self defense event since it's the only time the shooter was not charged http://www.afn.org/~guns/ayoob.html

Is there anything illegal.. no, but try telling that to the DA & jury when you are sitting across from them in court.
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Allegheny County)

I have never had an instructor endorse the employment of automatic fire. It does have its uses and can be a force multiplier, but you need to be thoroughly trained in its use.

Usually automatic fire is used to break contact or initiate an ambush. It is also useful sometimes against vehicles and for suppression if the team's SAW is down.

Inside a structure it has some application from a 9mm sub gun but not a helluva lot from a 5.56mm carbine.

There is precedent however; a few years back a guy shot up a bunch of armed robbers with a machinegun. It was a good shoot - that's what it boils down to.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I was curious what people's thoughts were about using full auto for self defense.
    Against the undead scourge, it would be great. But unless zombies attack, I think it would be overkill in most situations. If you had an effective semi-auto and instead chose to use a full-auto, it could lead jurors to question what was going on in your mind.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    I have never had an instructor endorse the employment of automatic fire. It does have its uses and can be a force multiplier, but you need to be thoroughly trained in its use.
    I have, and I am.

I agree with everything said here. I would like to hear more people's thoughts on the matter as well. Isn't it bizarre that, in a moment when you know you are about to die unless you defend yourself and then still likely to die, so many people would choose to defend themselves with the "acceptable" tools at hand?

It's bizarre, but understandable. In a very twisted sort of way.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I have, and I am.

I agree with everything said here. I would like to hear more people's thoughts on the matter as well. Isn't it bizarre that, in a moment when you know you are about to die unless you defend yourself and then still likely to die, so many people would choose to defend themselves with the "acceptable" tools at hand?

It's bizarre, but understandable. In a very twisted sort of way.
    I think maybe I lost something in the translation; I'm having a hard time following your meaning.

I assume that you mean that you have been thoroughly trained in the use of automatic fire from an assault rifle, and that you yourself are an instructor and you endorse the use of automatic fire.

Is this correct?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    I think maybe I lost something in the translation; I'm having a hard time following your meaning.

I assume that you mean that you have been thoroughly trained in the use of automatic fire from an assault rifle, and that you yourself are an instructor and you endorse the use of automatic fire.

Is this correct?
    I HAVE had instructors endorse the employment of automatic fire. I AM thoroughly trained in its use.

My capitalization is for clarifying context, not for emphasis.
    Last edited by ungawa; February 15th, 2008 at 07:29 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Depending where I was located within my home, my F/A UMP .45 would be my first choice.
    No signature required.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast