Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Blackhawk Sportster Hip Holster Review

One word sums it up.

JUNK!!

I thought I would pick this up to see if my 4 inch Redhawk was at all possible to be carried on my hip for extended periods for a trip I am planning in grizzly country. The only way the gun could have flopped around more was if I tied it to my hip with a rubber band.

After 5 minutes I couldn't handle it. I realize this is not the best holster out there, not hardly, but my God it was the worst.

I have considered a Simply Rugged but I must say the gun REALLY pulled my pants down just after a little bit of walking around my house let alone when I am out in the woods.

I am using my Wilderness Tactical CSM belt which I use to carry my EDC XD45 Compact.

I am now more seriously considering a shoulder holster just because of the weight and convenience of in and out of the truck. I have only found a few that fit this gun. Lou Alessi's Field Master and some others that are ridiculously expensive at $235 on up and a Falco 71/22 at $120.00.

I have considered a Blackhawk shoulder holster as well as a COWS from Sportsman Guide and an Uncle Mikes but I don't want something I will be sorry I bought just to save a few bucks. I am keeping the gun forever and will carry it often in the local woods so $100-$150 is reasonable for a $550 gun. This is the one from Sportsmans Guide but I am leery to throw the money away. Anyone ever use these? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=394658

Any thoughts on other holsters or methods of carry. I will be traveling through some national parks in VERY touristy areas as well as walking some back country. I don't know if I want a chest holster because I think it will be in the way plus super in everyone's face.

Comments are helpful before I spend the money.
    Last edited by Brudog; April 14th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.