Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Herter's .223 OK?

Any issue running 100 or so rounds of steel-cased Herter's .223 through my AR? I've seen reviews ranging from "it's awesome" to "it will ruin your gun".

Since I really doubt 100 rounds of anything would hurt, what are the general feelings about steel cased ammo in general and particularly Herter's if I were to stock up on a large quantity?

Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Herter's .223 OK?

Providing for information only. So don't blame me if you blow up your AR after reading this.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

(Washington County)

That was a good read, thanks.

(Washington County)

Its just re-branded Tula Ammo.

Its generally accepted as the worst quality Russian ammo.
    But that doesnt mean its bad.

Some rifles dont like it, and can jam, other have no problems.

Good idea to try a small amount first.

I shoot the Brown Bear or WPA Ammo, which is made at the Barnaul plant in Russia, and generally considered a little better quality than Tula.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    what are the general feelings about steel cased ammo in general and particularly Herter's if I were to stock up on a large quantity?

Thanks.
    Underlined portion. Try 100 rounds first. If your gun has no issues with it. Buy a pile, and save a ton of money at the range.

I have about 7k+ rounds of steel case through one of my AR's. Add that up against brass and... I've saved probably $1000 already. Or enough to go buy another rifle.

I have not had a failure to date with that gun firing any .223 / 5.56 ammo. AND I mix them frequently. That gun is near 10k rounds without a failure actually.

Your mileage may vary.

I have no experience however, with Herter's. All of mine was Wolf, Barnual, etc.

While I'm an avoid supporter of steel case in a lot of my rifles. I don't do it in pistols. I have had a fair share of malfunctions when using it in my pistols and at this point - I just won't do it.

What gun is this stuff getting fired through? Barrel chromed? Twist? Manufacturer of gun / parts? What buffer? Spring? Anything else magical going on in there that might be relevant?

(Washington County)

Bone stock s&w m&p 15 sport.

I'm getting 100 or so in a trade.

(Pike County)

Herter's is on the more expensive side why not try Tula, Wolf and the Bear branded ammunition's? They're the cheapest ammo you can buy and most people who use it don't have issues with it.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lancaster County)

You can get a pretty good deal on Herter's at Cabela's from time to time. That's how I have a bunch in the closet.
    Johnnie F.

(Washington County)

I do have some brown bear and like that best of all the steel cased ammo, but when I figure I can get $50-$60/k for the once fired brass, the price difference isnt much.

Steel cased has to be $70 or more per k, less than brass for it to be worth it for me.

(Chester County)

Default Herters Ouality Control-Not very good?

From link below > Herters Ammunition & Catastrophic Failure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/26/12-

A friend and I were shooting plates at our local club one afternoon. He was shooting his G22, and I my G17. He was shooting Wolf ammunition and had no issues. I, on the other hand, was shooting Herter's International Select Grade Ammuntion. After about 250 rounds, I opened a fresh box of Herters, about 3 rounds into the magazine, KaBoom!, My G17 recoiled worse than my G20, and left an awful stinging in my paws. After assessing the situation, I came to the conclusion that the pistol had suffered a catastrophic failure. Up to this point, there was no indication that there was a problem, no squibs, no problems, no anything. The chamber of the G17 ruptured, completely jamming the gun in the almost full battery position. Thankfully, there were no physical injuries.

Both the retailer/manufacturer of the ammunition and Glock have been nothing but helpful to resolve the issue and have the pistol repaired.

From what I understand, there has since been a recall issued on the ammunition that I was using, due to very overpressure rounds, and I wasn't the only person to have a problem with this particular lot.

Details -
    Brand- Herter's International Select Grade
    Cal.- 9mm Luger 115gr. FMJ.
    Lot # - Z411-11

Hopefully, no one else has any ammunition from this lot number in their cache, but if you do, I would recommend contacting the retailer it was purchased at for further instructions on how to obtain a replacement.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...c-failure.html
    [IMG][/IMG]