Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default A Pittsburgh(sorta) carry question: carry to Ron Paul rally?

Hey PAFOA'ers!

I should know better, but for some reason, I'm not finding a good thread to glean info from concerning this.

I am going to see Ron Paul next week in Pittsburgh at the soldiers and sailors memorial hall.

I was assuming carrying there may be prohibited? I am confused about whether or not it would be legal? I was not yet carrying during the last election happenings, but do remember reading some about it.

For a start, I called the hall where the event will be, and asked if they allowed firearms on the premises. ( I figure Ron Paul has event security, and rules would be different, but It was a starting point).

This was the first time I've ever called an establishment to inquire about firearm policies, and I'm a bit weirded out afterwards. Input as to if this is "normal" would be appreciated.

I was placed on hold for several minutes, but no one was there comfortable giving an answer. Sounded like I was the first to ever ask if they "prohibited legally possessed and licences concealed firearms?".

I was asked for a name and number, and told when someone who knew was in they would return my call. I asked if there was a better time to call back and she said they were pretty busy and she didn't know. Again I declined to leave a number and name, saying calling back was no problem. She then asked me if I could at least least let know "who I was with" to give them a heads up. I fumbled at this, and just said "no one.. just a citizen"

Ended with a nice awkward pause..before a forced cheerful "thanks, good bye" on my part.

(maybe should have just asked if there were metal detectors.. concealed is concealed, right?, though I thought that was a little "suspicious".)

Thoughts?

Default Re: A Pittsburgh(sorta) carry question: carry to Ron Paul rally?

probably wanted info to trespass you :P

(Allegheny County)

The person you talked to was probably assuming you worked for either the NRA or one of the Antis and was trying to come up with a non-damning response when you shocked her with your whole private-citizen-proactively-taking-responsibilty-for-his-actions-and-calling-ahead-to-keep-from-breaking-the-law bit...

Umm... anyway. Per the S&S website there are several bits of info to consider:

1. Link to the 2010 annual report:

http://www.soldiersandsailorshall.or...ort%202010.pdf

page 5, sentence 4: "the nonprofit corporation known as Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum Trust, inc.,"

2. List of admission costs to the museum:

http://www.soldiersandsailorshall.or...ors-guide.html

--> Now check that against the list stickied to the top of the carry forum page:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

Let me preface this with IANAL, but it sure looks like private property to me: A not-for-profit corporation that charges people money to enter its establishment.

It would be odd if firearms were prohibited; it's an organization devoted to the preservation of relics documenting the oft-heroic defense of life, liberty and the American republic. (There are display cases full of civil war, WW1, and WW2 era firearms INSIDE the building for goodness sake)

Thanks fellas!

My more pressing issue is whether or not I can carry to this event? ( to see Ron Paul)

Does anyone know where I can find out from a credible source? Haven't I read somewhere here that you can't carry within a certain distance around politicians are certain events?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by geofri View Post
    Thanks fellas!

My more pressing issue is whether or not I can carry to this event? ( to see Ron Paul)

Does anyone know where I can find out from a credible source? Haven't I read somewhere here that you can't carry within a certain distance around politicians are certain events?
    There are currently two bills to that effect that are languishing in committee since Feb 2011 (HR367 & HR496). They'll probably die an ignoble death there.

IF Paul is afforded Secret Sevice protection then they can establish weapon exclusionary zones but said areas are supposed to be clearly marked.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

I would be concerned that even if you got a concrete answer from the office, there would be differences of opinion at the gate. I would only carry if it was publicised that it was ok.

What's the worst thing that could happen? I wouldn't want to be that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    There are currently two bills to that effect that are languishing in committee since Feb 2011 (HR367 & HR496). They'll probably die an ignoble death there.

IF Paul is afforded Secret Sevice protection then they can establish weapon exclusionary zones but said areas are supposed to be clearly marked.

he was given secret service protection and turned it down because he said its a type of welfare...i carried when i shook hands with Dr. Paul. I was CCing

Last edited by rmodel65; April 19th, 2012 at 12:48 PM.

(Lawrence County)

The worst that can happen is you're turned away. What you can do is just go there BEFORE he comes and take a look around, look for any signs or metal detectors there. While things may change because he is there that one day, you would know beforehand if it's a policy or not...

Or, you could shoot off an e-mail to Ron Paul and have his people ask for you... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...