Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Question

(Carbon County)

Default Question

I have 2 sons in the air force. One is in California and is returning here with his family before leaving for a 4 year stint in germany. He has several handguns and wants to give them to me since he can not take them. Is any paperwork required?

I am also moving to south Carolina so I will be taking them with me
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

Default Re: Question

Not a legal expert or lawyer.

There is a retired military FFL on here, I'm sure he'll chime in but till then...

It all comes down to if he is a resident of the Commonwealth. If he is, no issue. If he isn't then a legal transfer must take place.

Now, if he is, and he brings them to PA,and gives them to you, son to father, no issue. Also, if you have a LTCF, you could borrow them from him.

Best of luck,

CL

(Carbon County)

Yup still has pa license and cars registerd here

(Centre County)

There is no problem with him bringing them to you to store for him while he is in Germany. In fact that is the best thing he could do if he wants to see them again (don't ever trust the people that store household goods and such for military members living overseas. I know, it happened to me - not guns though, I stored all that at my folks until I returned. Since his home of record is PA and he still has his PA license and cars registered, he can give them to you with no paperwork required (son to father). If you move to SC during his time in Germany you will need to research SC law dealing with the return of them to him when he gates back to the states. It is possible that he could actually give you a limited power of attorney to care for his guns and that should work for the return of them when he gets back. He can check with the legal office on base about that.

Also, tell him to keep his PA drivers license up to date, don't let it expire, it really makes things easier when he gets back. IIRC, as long as he is active duty military, PA says that he can drive on an expired license. However, as we know, police don't know all the laws, especially police in other states. While he's on leave, have him go to the DMV and early renew if it will expire while he is gone. While he is on leave, that would be a great time for him to get his LTCF if he doesn't have it and you are located in friendly sheriff county and can get it on the spot. It doesn't do him anything while in Germany, but he'll have it when he returns, especially if he returns to your place in SC. Car registration doesn't matter, if he is taking the car, it will get registered in Germany and he'll register it again when he gats back to the states in 4 years.

Lastly, if you have never been to Germany or Europe, give him a year to get settled and to know the area and if you have the means go for a visit, do so, it will be a great experience.

Any other questions, just post them and you'll get an answers from a lot of knowledgable people that peruse this board.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post

Also, tell him to keep his PA drivers license up to date, don't let it expire, it really makes things easier when he gets back. IIRC, as long as he is active duty military, PA says that he can drive on an expired license.
    Found this from PennDot:

Driver's License Information
    Pennsylvania license holders who are active duty military

(Carbon County)

Thanks. I know his license expired but he's good to go as long as he has his military id with him and his expired license .

He is shipping his honda over to germany but driving his tahoe back here which I will probably take over his payments for that so it wont just sit for a long length of time and my car is pretty old anyways.

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by middlefinger; April 12th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.