Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New to the area, looking to go shooting...

Hey guys, first off let me start by introducing myself as I am new to the board. My name is Aaron, I'm 28, and separated from the Air Force in March of 2011. I moved to SW Philly and am currently enrolled at the Art Institute. I've kinda been lurking here for awhile doing a lot of research, and I figured now would be a good time to post.

OK, so I have lived in SW Philly for about a year now, and recently bought a Glock 23. I've had it for about 3 weeks, and picked up my LTCF about a week ago. Basically, I'm ready to go shooting now, but I'm kinda new at that too.

It looks like the closest range to me is Double Action in Yeadon, anybody have any experience with them? Also, while I've shot guns before, and got the standard M-16 training while I was in the Air Force, I've never fired a pistol before.

I was hoping if anybody in the area was planning a trip to Double Action, or perhaps even one of the ranges in South Philly, maybe we could meet up and I could learn some good tips and techniques to gain some proficiency? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I noticed that Double Action is offering a beginner's safety course at the end of the month for $85. Should I sign up for this? I'm not sure if it's gonna cover any shooting, or if it's just going to be safety. I'm not looking to part with $85 if it's only going to cover the basics that I've already learned in my military training.

Anyway, I've found a lot of answers to a lot of questions just by searching the boards here, and I've still got a few left. Perhaps I will be posting some other threads here soon, but for now I'm going to continue lurking and researching. At any rate, I'd like to say thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

-Aaron

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to the area, looking to go shooting...

Congratz on the new purchase and welcome to the forums.

Double Action is pretty nice. I've shot there a few times for their IDPA matches. With that said. I prob couldn't afford to shoot there just for the range.

If their website is current. They require you to purchase their ammo to be used on their range. Their ammo is a little pricey, especially since I reload my own.

I'd give them a call and find out what the course description is. It isn't listed as an NRA course, so it could just be all classroom instruction and no range time.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Philadelphia County)

Hey thanks, good idea. I just got off the phone, they said its 5 hours of instruction. After the classroom portion they go to the range and do some shooting. You can bring your own gun or use theirs (rental is included in the price of the course). They have everyone shoot half a box of 9mm and half a box of .38 to get a feel for a semi-auto and a revolver so they can make an informed decision on which type of pistol they might like.

And yes, as the website said, you do have to purchase ammo at the range in order to shoot, so I guess that would be expensive. How many rounds do you usually put down range when you go?

(Montgomery County)

Haha.. I just loaded up 500 rounds of 40sw and 300 rounds of 45acp. I have 50 rounds of Test ammo with different powders and a new bullet profile that needs to be shot through a chrono. I have another 200 factory rounds.

200 of those rounds are for a class I have on Sunday.. another 200 is for the falling steel match on Saturday.. The rest is to play/practice with.

This morning I woke up feeling I didn't have enough for the weekend and I'm tempted to load up the new bullets without testing for function first. LoL

I have burnt through about 5000 rounds in the past month and a half. I didn't renew my membership with the local indoor range.. So I am mainly only shooting on the weekends when I can get to the Club. If I rejoin the local indoor range, I'd be shooting more. :lol:

I think the average trip for a lot of people is around 150 rounds and about 1 hour range time. Depends on the gun and how bad it beats you up and what you are practicing.

That class sounds pretty good. It should at least teach you the safety things you need to know. Most you prob picked up from reading online. Doesn't sound like they will get too much into shooting and accuracy though. Seem like a course for people who don't own a gun yet.

Don't be afraid to come out to any Matches. Even to watch, although if you watch, you'll prob kick yourself for not shooting it. IDPA is great for people new to competition. Get comfortable with your gun and the function of it though before hand. Although I've seen fairly new shooters at matches already. Just be safe and the RO/SO will help you with the rest.

The other benefit is just about everyone at matches are willing to help others. So you will learn a lot. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Philadelphia County)

Wow, sounds like a good time. I'd like to get a membership, from what I see it looks like the prices are better at Philadelphia Gun and Archery ($150 for the standard membership vs. $225 at Double Action). I'll shoot the club's ammunition if that's what it comes down to. I have neither the time nor the resources to load my own, and I really only plan on shooting about once a month given my current schedule/budget constraints (the only downfall of going back to school).

At any rate, I think I'm just going to stop by the range for an hour before work this afternoon. I'll try to put about 100 rounds through, and maybe just ask the RO/SO for any advice. I just hate to come off as a newb, you know? I've been reading up online every night for about two weeks now to better educate myself, to the point that my girlfriend believes I'm obsessed, but sometimes you just gotta go and get your hands dirty. Anyway, I know that owning and carrying a gun brings a great deal of responsibility with it, so I'm just trying to make sure I'm ready for it. Only once I feel comfortable with shooting do I plan on carrying.
    2A351

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Your approach to firearms education/research is commendable. Rep inbound, and welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioGuy View Post
    Wow, sounds like a good time. I'd like to get a membership, from what I see it looks like the prices are better at Philadelphia Gun and Archery ($150 for the standard membership vs. $225 at Double Action). I'll shoot the club's ammunition if that's what it comes down to. I have neither the time nor the resources to load my own, and I really only plan on shooting about once a month given my current schedule/budget constraints (the only downfall of going back to school).

At any rate, I think I'm just going to stop by the range for an hour before work this afternoon. I'll try to put about 100 rounds through, and maybe just ask the RO/SO for any advice. I just hate to come off as a newb, you know? I've been reading up online every night for about two weeks now to better educate myself, to the point that my girlfriend believes I'm obsessed, but sometimes you just gotta go and get your hands dirty. Anyway, I know that owning and carrying a gun brings a great deal of responsibility with it, so I'm just trying to make sure I'm ready for it. Only once I feel comfortable with shooting do I plan on carrying.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Philadelphia County)

I shoot at Firing Line in South Philly. Their membership is only $100 for the year. It is an old school kind of firing range and it doesn't have all the fancy electronic target systems like SPAG, but it gets the job done. You have to buy range ammo and can not bring your own. There is almost always a lane open whenever I go and it isn't crowded except for weekends, especially at night.

You should try shooting at a couple places to see which one you like best and what will fit your budget. I didn't like SPAG too much because of their prices and there is no parking near the place. I had to trek my range bag a couple of blocks after I finally found a parking spot.

(Montgomery County)

Other's can recommend ranges close to you better than I can. Try and shoot at least once or twice at the range, during the times you think you will normally be using the range.

I've heard about some ranges I use being mad houses and unsafe and full of gang bangers, etc.. Yet because I would only use the indoor ranges during the week after work, I never saw any of that..

I would hold off on the range visit tonight, or let the RO know you are new and you are signed up or going to take their class.. And just ask for some tips. Better to start practicing the correct way, than to start reenforcing bad habits.

Finger off the trigger

I feel sorry for you choosing a 40 caliber.. I absolutely hated mine with factory ammo, and that was out of a full size, not a compact.. LoL

Don't be embarrassed to ask any questions at the range. If they don't want to answer, or help you.. Find a new range.

Trust me, you'll feel a whole lot more embarrassed (if lucky) if you shot yourself vs not asking a question.

(Philadelphia County)

Ok, so I went to Double Action today. I walked up to the register and the guy starts to ring me up. I mention that I've never shot a handgun before and if there were any tips or technique I should know. He stops, looks up from the register and says "you've never shot before?" so I said, "not a handgun, no. I've shot rifles and shotguns, I've gotten M-16 training when I was in the military, but to be honest I've never fired a handgun, so I just want to get familiar with it." To which he replies "I don't usually let people shoot if they've never done it before." So at this point we're just kind of looking at each other. Fortunately for me, there was no one else at the range at this point. He looks at the range, back at me and says "I'll tell you what, I'll let you go today and we'll see how you do." So at this point I'm like "thank you very much sir." Pay for the lane, ammo, target, and I'm on my way.

I shot 50 rounds and brought the target back to the counter. He said I did fine, my grouping was pretty good, accuracy was pretty good, and I just needed to practice more with the sight. He let me buy another 50 rounds and another target and go back in again. All in all, pretty good day at the range, and lucky to have the place to myself. The Lawman (I think?) target ammo I had to buy from them was 21.95 for a box of 50, so I don't know if that's any good. But, on my way out I asked if they had any Federal Hydra-Shok JHP in .40 (a friend highly recommends this specific kind), which they did, and a box of 50 in 155gr was only 39.95, which I thought was pretty good since everywhere I looked on line listed it at 21.95 for 20, so I bought a box.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with you guys and say thanks for all the advice. I think after my next paycheck I will try to check out SPAG and/or Firing Line as suggested.

Oh yeah,

Quote Originally Posted by RHGregory3 View Post
    Your approach to firearms education/research is commendable. Rep inbound, and welcome to the forums.
    Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    [...]
    I feel sorry for you choosing a 40 caliber.. I absolutely hated mine with factory ammo, and that was out of a full size, not a compact.. LoL
    [...]
    Why did you not like your .40? Granted I've never shot any other handgun before, and I will say it seemed to have some kick to it, but over all I really enjoyed my experience and am looking forward to more range time.

Again, thanks to everyone for the advice!
    2A351

(Philadelphia County)

I would recommend Firing Line over Philly Gun and Archery. If you have a car Classic Pistol in South Hampton is a nice place. It's about a 30 min drive depending on traffic. If you want someone to go shooting with let me know, always happy to throw a few down range.

James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast