Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Question Going to Florida - carry at theme parks advice

Here's the situation:

GF and I are going to Orlando next month. We're planning on going to SeaWorld and Universal Studios, along with a waterpark (Aquatica). We are flying out of Newark (ugh), so I will not be flying with my firearm, I was going to send a FedEx package to my hotel ahead of time.

Bigger question is carrying in the theme parks there. I searched and didn't find any info on metal detectors or pat-downs, which sounds good. But how does one carry in a waterpark? It doesn't seem worth it to carry it in only to put it in the locker while we're there. Or should I just leave it in the hotel room for that day? (they do have a safe in the room)

Also, should I be concerned about going on rides while carrying? I was thinking of getting a crossbreed supertuck, or should I be looking at a different holster? My shirt would have to be tucked in while going on rides, for obvious reasons.

Opinions? Or should I just leave it in the hotel during the day and carry it on me at nights? This will be my first time taking my firearm with me out of state.

Oh, and yes, I have my LTCF

Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: Going to Florida - carry at theme parks advice

I am a frequent tourist to Orlando. I always drive so transporting the firearm is never a problem. I don't really know if you can FedEx a handgun to a hotel - can anyone offer knowledgeable feedback on that issue? You can always check your firearm in your luggage if you are legal in PA and in FLA. Check with the airline for specifics.

As for the theme parks I have always left the pistol in the room safe. Theme parks do searches of bags, purses, etc - I don't know if they have metal detectors like Great Adventure (in NJ) does but I can't believe they are firearms friendly. You get ejected from a park that is a boatload of money gone.

Unlike other areas of Orlando I feel really save at the theme parks. And no matter how I dress or what the weather is, the jackets always come off and if you are into water rides the clothes always get somewhat wet. Try to see if you don't print after running through the lawn sprinkler a dozen times.

All in all, carry in Orlando but leave it in the safe for the theme parks.

(Northampton County)

If you can arrange to take a flight from Wilkes Barre or Allentown to Newark then to Orlando you could pack the firearm in checked luggage as long as you do not take possession of the checked luggage in Newark. If you have not booked a flight yet, there are direct, reasonably priced flights from ABE to Orlando direct. ABE does have great long term parking.
    I have used Fedex and UPS to ship a firearm. I personally would not ship to a hotel. Many opportunities for the package to be lost. It must go overnight ( $50) and be identified. The Fedex box may have an Ordanance tag!

Buy a TSA approved lockable small pistol case. Use the security cable to somehow secure it to the Checked luggage bag. Declare it at check-in.
    Firearm preferably dis-assembled and a small amount of self defense ammo in original box locked in with firearm.

Your LTCF is valid in Florida. Be very careful if the flight is diverted to a state that does not recognize your permit. If that happens, do not take possession of the luggage. Numerous reports of arrests after that has happened.

Theme parks are beginning to be concerned about weapons. Disney and others may be scanning. Even if they are not, the threat inside is much less than outside.

I, personally would use the TSA approved lockable personal safe and store the firearm in the trunk of the vehicle when parked before entering a park.

Have a safe trip.
    Last edited by John-Pa; April 10th, 2012 at 02:51 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by John-Pa View Post
    Buy a TSA approved lockable small pistol case. Use the security cable to somehow secure it to the Checked luggage bag. Declare it at check-in.
    Firearm preferably dis-assembled and a small amount of self defense ammo in original box locked in with firearm.

Your LTCF is valid in Florida. Be very careful if the flight is diverted to a state that does not recognize your permit. If that happens, do not take possession of the luggage. Numerous reports of arrests after that has happened.

Theme parks are beginning to be concerned about weapons. Disney and others may be scanning. Even if they are not, the threat inside is much less than outside.

I, personally would use the TSA approved lockable personal safe and store the firearm in the trunk of the vehicle when parked before entering a park.

Have a safe trip.
    OP is flying out of Newark NJ. I have no idea whether or not FOPA is applicable, I can say that I would not personally chance it in NJ even if it was. Furthermore, self defense ammo/cop killers/heat seeking bullets would be a big no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig12of45 View Post
    Here's the situation:

GF and I are going to Orlando next month. We're planning on going to SeaWorld and Universal Studios, along with a waterpark (Aquatica). We are flying out of Newark (ugh), so I will not be flying with my firearm, I was going to send a FedEx package to my hotel ahead of time.

Bigger question is carrying in the theme parks there. I searched and didn't find any info on metal detectors or pat-downs, which sounds good. But how does one carry in a waterpark? It doesn't seem worth it to carry it in only to put it in the locker while we're there. Or should I just leave it in the hotel room for that day? (they do have a safe in the room)

Also, should I be concerned about going on rides while carrying? I was thinking of getting a crossbreed supertuck, or should I be looking at a different holster? My shirt would have to be tucked in while going on rides, for obvious reasons.

Opinions? Or should I just leave it in the hotel during the day and carry it on me at nights? This will be my first time taking my firearm with me out of state.

Oh, and yes, I have my LTCF

Thanks
    If you are planning to get wet I wouldn't carry it into the water park. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a firearm in those lockers.

Not sure I would go on any rides that go upside down while carrying. Odds are you will be just fine but I'm not sure I would want to chance having my firearm go flying off a roller coaster.

I hate to say it but in either case I would elect to lock things up in the car.
    Last edited by csmith; April 10th, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

(Northampton County)

CS posted before I re-read your post and edited (changed)my comments above to reflect the NJ nightmare (hollow Points etc)

(Luzerne County)

Correct, we are flying out of Newark (flight is already booked) so I'm not going to take it with me to the airport.

John, I did some reseach and I don't think I can ship it to myself via Fedex or UPS without being a FFL....have you done it recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig12of45 View Post
    We are flying out of Newark (ugh), so I will not be flying with my firearm, I was going to send a FedEx package to my hotel ahead of time.
    Not if they know what's in it, unless you or the hotel is an FFL.
    A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guid...xpress-ground/
    UPS has the same policy as of mid-2011. Shipping a handgun to yourself is legal, but I'm unaware of any carrier that will do it.
    Last edited by donm; April 10th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Ive carried in Seaworld and Disney recently...bag searches but no wanding etc.

But note Florida has an armed trespass law...if youre discovered leave immediately DO NOT debate....it is a felony to stick around armed go as quickly as possible

(Northampton County)

Ludwig----It was a few years ago. Reading the Fedex Policy above it seems it is the carriers policy and violating it would not be a violation of Fed or State laws.

I guess the more I think about this, I would leave the firearm home.

Or if the ticket was bought with flying out of NJ, and If I really wanted a SD weapon with me I would find a Orlando FFL that would agree to accept a Fedex shipment and hold and resend the firearm back to me but what a hassle and expense. A heck of a way to "enjoy" a vacation.

(Montgomery County)

This might be a situation where you pick up a can of pepper spray and leave the gun at home? It can handle being wet and offers some protection.

Disclaimer- I don't know FL's laws concerning pepper spray.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast