Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default P32 Holster and Ammo choices

So I happened across a Kel-tec P32 that fell into my possession this weekend.

I not a huge fan, as the thing wrecks my hand when I shoot. The trigger guard bites my trigger finger when the gun recoils. Also, the recoil is tougher to control than my Hi-Point C9, what with the thing being nearly weightless in comparison. Also, DAO triggers are not my thing.

But, the size of the gun is a huge bonus. The level of concealment possible here is so much better with this. I never really 'got' the pocket gun idea until I stuck the P32 in my pocket and it disappeared.

So, what SD ammo should I buy? The net wisdom of the day tells me I should run FMJ through it to ensure better penetration. Thoughts? Links?

Also, what deep conceal holster should I look at? I was looking for something I could IWB or pocket carry as needed by wardrobe or circumstance. Something to protect the trigger guard so I can safely carry +1 even with the lack of safety and ~5 lb pull. Also, this keeps pocket dust out of the barrel/ action, to some degree. I hear tell that Uncles Mike's makes a decent pocket size holster, and I am leaning in that direction because of the price.

I am sure this topic has been discussed, but the forum doesn't like P32 as a search term and Kel-tec is too broad, as is pocket carry.

Thanks, all.
    ~ All Knowledge Is Worth Having ~

(Pike County)

Default Re: P32 Holster and Ammo choices

For a pocket holster for my p3at I use a Desantis Nemisis, about $20 and works great, stays in the pocket and holds up well.
    I don't have any .32acp's, so I can not speak as to ammo.

(Lawrence County)

Thanks for the info. It looks like if I was going pocket carry only, that's my best bet. I'm hoping there exists a holster just like that, but with an S-hook for IWB carry, too.

(Allegheny County)

I'll second the Nemesis.
    The Nemesis pocket holsters have special design to them that helps keep the pistol vertical in your pocket. The outside of these holsters are made of a tacky material that sticks to your pocket to help keep the holster in your pocket when you're drawing the pistol. I have no recommendation for a IWB holster, I don't carry my P32 in that fashion.

As for carry ammo, you're right. Stick with a good quality FMJ for penetration.
    Not to mention the P32's are known to rim-lock with the shorter HP rounds.
    Toujours prêt

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    For a pocket holster for my p3at I use a Desantis Nemisis, about $20 and works great, stays in the pocket and holds up well.
    This. My nemisis holds my P32 in place a bit better than the rather cheezy Uncle Mikes #2 pocket holster that I used prior.

I run Fiocchi FMJ in it. I have yet to (wet phone book test) find a JHP .32 round that will expand at all out of the P32 with anything approaching decent penetration. On the interwebs, there are people who run the Cor-Bon Powr'ball in their P32--I remain skeptical.

The other really fine reason to run FMJ thru the P-32 is that unless yours is a later model that has had a few magazine modifications (notably the infamous "flyerwire"), it will most likely rimlock on JHP ammo.

The upshot is that I only carry the P32 as a BUG, or in a situation where I cannot conceal something larger (think a tux at a wedding, where I know the jacket will come off at some point).

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    This. My nemisis holds my P32 in place a bit better than the rather cheezy Uncle Mikes #2 pocket holster that I used prior.

I run Fiocchi FMJ in it. I have yet to (wet phone book test) find a JHP .32 round that will expand at all out of the P32 with anything approaching decent penetration. On the interwebs, there are people who run the Cor-Bon Powr'ball in their P32--I remain skeptical.

The other really fine reason to run FMJ thru the P-32 is that unless yours is a later model that has had a few magazine modifications (notably the infamous "flyerwire"), it will most likely rimlock on JHP ammo.

The upshot is that I only carry the P32 as a BUG, or in a situation where I cannot conceal something larger (think a tux at a wedding, where I know the jacket will come off at some point).
    Right, I'm thinking the same situations, but not all dress pants have what I would consider to be secure pockets. With an IWB clip, I was thinking, I could go over the top of the pants in tux situations. A little creative tucking and my cell phone case completes the deep cover. It's an option, and not one that I think I would require, but if I can find a decent holster, why not?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by the1jeffy View Post
    Right, I'm thinking the same situations, but not all dress pants have what I would consider to be secure pockets. With an IWB clip, I was thinking, I could go over the top of the pants in tux situations. A little creative tucking and my cell phone case completes the deep cover. It's an option, and not one that I think I would require, but if I can find a decent holster, why not?
    I know what you mean about dress pant pockets. Try the nemisis. It's stuck in every pocket I've tried it in.

(Lawrence County)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

Ordered. Will review in a week or so.

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: P32 Holster and Ammo choices

Quote Originally Posted by the1jeffy View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

Ordered. Will review in a week or so.
    Interested to hear that. I've used a bunch of Nemesis holsters with a few different guns. They are great, not too much, not too little.

I have a P32, have had it for quite a while. If you don't want to mess with magazine modifications I recommend you carry hardball. If you like to tinker Buffalo Bore makes a hard cast .32 +p that is rather nasty. ( http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=132) BUT it does have a shorter OAL like a hollow point would, making it susceptible to rim lock. If you want you could carry one if those in the chamber and round nose fmj in the mag, or you could make yourself a flyer wire.

FWIW I love my little P32. I've put a ton of rounds through it, and it never complains. Plus it weighs less than a loaded 1911 magazine. Now that's a pocket gun.

A little white or orange paint (or nail polish) on the front sight helps. So does learning to stoke the trigger in one fluid, decisive pull. Sure you can stage it, but if you need to use it will you?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Interested to hear that. I've used a bunch of Nemesis holsters with a few different guns. They are great, not too much, not too little.

I have a P32, have had it for quite a while. If you don't want to mess with magazine modifications I recommend you carry hardball. If you like to tinker Buffalo Bore makes a hard cast .32 +p that is rather nasty. ( http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=132) BUT it does have a shorter OAL like a hollow point would, making it susceptible to rim lock. If you want you could carry one if those in the chamber and round nose fmj in the mag, or you could make yourself a flyer wire.

FWIW I love my little P32. I've put a ton of rounds through it, and it never complains. Plus it weighs less than a loaded 1911 magazine. Now that's a pocket gun.

A little white or orange paint (or nail polish) on the front sight helps. So does learning to stoke the trigger in one fluid, decisive pull. Sure you can stage it, but if you need to use it will you?
    I'll just stick with the 73 grain Fiocchi that my Uncle had with it. I thought it was just plinking ammo, but it was a lot hotter than I expected.

I'll try your advice on the trigger. However, it was more that the recoil took the muzzle up high enough for the trigger guard to bite my index finger. I'll try a tighter grip with my middle and ring fingers, but I am skeptical.

I do know that despite that tiny annoyance, it packs a bite for it's size and level of concealment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast