Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default best spot for the bedroom gun?

I was just reading the other thread about the 'kill whitey' attempted home invasion, and it reminded me of one of my concerns.

I keep a couple handguns in a small digital drawer safe in the bedroom, but they're in the dresser on the wife's side of the bed. I'd rather have them on my side, but it's just a night stand and don't feel comfortable with the safe being within reach of the little ones.

I prefer to sleep on the side of the bed nearest the door, for the same reason's I keep the firearms in the bedroom so I seem to have gotten myself into a catch 22.

I have to have a safe, for me it's not an option. the six year old is pretty good, she's received the lectures, seen my deer rifle, and at least been told about the destructive power of a firearm, but I still wouldn't trust her with one. the 3 year old is almost guaranteed to do whatever I tell her not to, so there is no way in hell i'm not going to absolutely, unequivocally ensure she gets nowhere near the safe, let alone the guns.

so, closer to the door, or closer to the firearms? I'd rather have both, so what to do? I thought about getting a wall safe for the closet, but I'm not so sure I like the idea of battling clothes in the dark while someone is bashing my front door in. It seems like that could be worse access than just rolling/hopping over my wife(I'm sure she'd be real happy to hear me say that) to the other side of the bed.

If you have kids, what do you do to ensure your access to firearms while not endangering your children?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: best spot for the bedroom gun?

Seeing as how you cannot have it sitting on the nightstand -
    If you have the cash, Bio-Metric safe on your side of the bed. Either under it or on the stand. No codes no keys. Hand goes onto the imprint and it opens up. ill post a link in a minute.
    Last edited by SteveinNEPA; April 7th, 2012 at 12:13 AM.

(Monroe County)

(Carbon County)

just sleep on the other side of the bed. whats the difference what side your on?

(Berks County)

Should be where you can reach it in a hurry, without fumbling or fussing. Biometric seems good if you have children.

I don't have kids, so anywhere works for me. My favorite place to keep a weapon in the bedroom is...uh, wait. I'm not telling you!

There is a cool device for your long guns: http://www.the-backup.com/.

(BTW - tell HER to move to the other side!)
    USAF 77-79, SAC, DMAFB, 390 MIMS, Titan II Crew Chief

(Monroe County)

I second the biometric quick acces safe. If your not comfortable with something running on electric or are afraid it won't recognize your fingerprint when needed most they have others that work on a code.

Me and my wife have a handgun (or two) on each side of the bed and a shotgun in the closet. The shotgun is easily locked in a quick access long -gun "safe" and the handguns in quick access "safes" on the nightstand.

The handguns are the easiest to access and allow immediatte armed response to a threat while the shotgun is more for my wife to get as she calls the cops and I take up position on the stairs. Of course this plan changes as the situation dictates and as many possibilities we could think of have been worked out.

Also as pointed out in the thread that raised your question there are other things to home defense than just a gun. Make your house as uninviting to an intruder as possible, hard to enter as possible, as noisy as possible when entered, a plan of action for all family members and some training on how to put it all together.

Edit: Sorry if this came of as preachy,,, I hate that and is not my intention.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; April 7th, 2012 at 09:51 AM.

(Bucks County)

As a side idea, be sure you have a rule saying your kids aren't allowed in your bedroom without permission. Kids should know that mom/dad's room is THEIR room, not free access for kids. I grew up knowing I was NEVER to just walk into my parents' bedroom and start snooping, and so far my kids are the same. They take something there if I ask them but I better never find them in there without permission.

I realize that's not a foolproof method of keeping them away from guns, and I do realize still the need for having the guns away from the kids...however its going to lessen the risk tremendously if the kids know they just can't go sorting through mom and dad's stuff.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Allegheny County)

I just came across this, screw this to the bed frame?
    http://www.gunmartblog.com/2012/02/g...peedvault.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Luzerne County)

I elected to go with the keypad GunVault due to the high rate of failures reported with the biometric sensors. Unfortunately the keypad isn't perfect either. I've noticed the button presses fail to register if you are too quick or don't press hard enough, two things I am most likely to do if I am in a hurry, hell two things I do just about every time I try to open it.

I have battled this issue since my oldest was born 3.5 years ago and have yet to come up with any reasonable solution that fully satisfies. When there are kids in the house, no matter the age, I am a firm believer that all firearms should be either locked up, or carried on your person 100% of the time, no exceptions. Unfortunately, my most ideal location is in a holster wedged or fastened/secured between the mattress and the headboard easily accessible from either side of the bed even while injured or pinned down. Big ol catch 22 there. The GunVault (or other similar products) really are the only middle ground. They are nowhere close to ideal, but what else is there? I don't care how much my 3 year old or even a 16 year old can repeat the words don't touch, tell Mom or Dad, I don't trust those fingers near any unsecured firearm.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    As a side idea, be sure you have a rule saying your kids aren't allowed in your bedroom without permission. Kids should know that mom/dad's room is THEIR room, not free access for kids. I grew up knowing I was NEVER to just walk into my parents' bedroom and start snooping, and so far my kids are the same. They take something there if I ask them but I better never find them in there without permission.

I realize that's not a foolproof method of keeping them away from guns, and I do realize still the need for having the guns away from the kids...however its going to lessen the risk tremendously if the kids know they just can't go sorting through mom and dad's stuff.

When I was a kid my parents had more or less the same rules.It worked for a while,but curiosity eventually overcame the fear of my dad and his belt.He had a Colt .38 revolver in his drawers that I loved to look at and handle.I was taught safe gun handling practices from the time that I could walk and talk.So the only way to keep them out of the little ones hands is the safe IMO.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast