Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Is it worth reloading 9mm yet?

Another aspect is casting your own bullet. I cast my own and by using the linked calculator my cost per round is $0.042, cost per 50 is $2.11 and cost per 1000 is $42.25. As you can see the cost of casting equipment is quickly recovered from you savings. I scrounge my lead so it is free most of the time if not its $1 per pound there 7000 grains in a pound. My cast bullets are 125 grain so for a buck i get 56 bullets or so. My brass is all range pick up so there is no cost for brass. The only thing I pay for is powder and primers usually.

Andy
    Last edited by bigthicketthunter; January 18th, 2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Andrew Jackson USN (1992-2010)

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

These guys /\ /\ have it . Scrounge for your lead and cast your own bullets.

Range-brass is (or can be) free.

That leaves only priimers and powder. The last show I was at, the lady back in the corner had CCI primers at $26.50/k. And Wolf supposedly is half of that. I haven't found them anywhere, yet.

I also bought a close-out of 700-X, 4 lbs for $42.00 from another vendor, which makes 9mm pretty inexpensive, using only 4.1 grains per round.

But shooting lead bullets can be quite inexpensive, even if you do not cast. I recently found a source alphabravobullets.com that sells cast bullets at remarkably good prices. (Disclaimer; I have no interst commercial or otherwise, in this entity) Cast 225 grain RN 45ACP bullets for $40.00/500, as well as 158gr Keith-type 357 SWC for $28.50/500, pthers priced accordingly.
    Plus, he is local (Hanover, PA) and sells at the shows, as well as other local shops handling his products at retail.

I have added this source to the sticky of component sources

So, yes, it is worth it to reload 9mm, and has been for a long time. But a lot of the economy is in how you go about it.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

FMJ 9mm are 9.99 - 11.99 around here I reload fmj 50@box at around 3.80@ box. And factory jhp is $19 - $24 @ 25. Using the Rainer jhp its still about $3.80 per box of 50 making a substancel saving.

I can't wait to test this lot of jhp 9mm reloads in ballistic gel.
    Last edited by Neko456; January 19th, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Is it worth reloading 9mm yet?

Yes, every time a Shooter decides to trash his good once fired Brass Boxer, I am more than willing to clean it up for him. Like Pennies or should I say Dollars from Heaven.

Once I stop by the Auto Repair Shop for some Lead on the way Home I give the Brass a quick cleaning and Safety Check they get boxed for a quite, stuck in thr House Day, for some Reloading Fun[.

Eddie O

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    In the past, many said that reloading 9mm wasn't worth it because it wasn't cost effective. For the cost of materials, time, and trouble, it was cheaper to just buy rather than reload.

Now that ammo prices are on the rise, I was wondering if all you reloaders out there have reconsidered reloading 9mm. Is it worth it yet?

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    FMJ 9mm are 9.99 - 11.99 around here I reload fmj 50@box at around 3.80@ box. And factory jhp is $19 - $24 @ 25. Using the Rainer jhp its still about $3.80 per box of 50 making a substancel saving.

I can't wait to test this lot of jhp 9mm reloads in ballistic gel.
    Like to see the results too. I recall reading of a fella who was mighty peeved that his particular batch/velocity, did not expand at all as I recall; basically acted as an FMJ. Look forward to seeing what you discover.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I also bought a close-out of 700-X, 4 lbs for $42.00 from another vendor, which makes 9mm pretty inexpensive, using only 4.1 grains per round. Flash
    My favorit powder for reloading. Generally, I use 3.9 gr of 700x behind a 124 lead.

(Montgomery County)

I did a workup using nothing but links from this post and to reload 9mm for me came in at about 5.10 a box of 50 for 115 grain FMJ with 4.5 grains of powder. the local wally worlds sell federal 115 grain FMJ for 10.50 a box of 50.

reloading give me 100 rounds for the same price as wally world.. which means to me i can shoot twice as much and not feel bad. well if i felt bad about it in the first place.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567