Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Is it worth reloading 9mm yet?

In the past, many said that reloading 9mm wasn't worth it because it wasn't cost effective. For the cost of materials, time, and trouble, it was cheaper to just buy rather than reload.

Now that ammo prices are on the rise, I was wondering if all you reloaders out there have reconsidered reloading 9mm. Is it worth it yet?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Is it worth reloading 9mm yet?

I reload 9mm at a cost of $3.17 per box of 115gr FMJ, $2.85 for 124gr LRN. Now that is without the cost of equipment and casings.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    I reload 9mm at a cost of $3.17 per box of 115gr FMJ, $2.85 for 124gr LRN. Now that is without the cost of equipment and casings.
    I assume a box = 50 rds, correct?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    I assume a box = 50 rds, correct?
    Yes that is 50rd cost.

(Philadelphia County)

Well, you gotta figure out whether its worth your time to even reload this caliber at all.

If I can save $20 an hour on ammunition by reloading, or I could do contract work for that hour at $75, then it is not worth for me to reload. Since I'd be losing $50 in the process.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Well, you gotta figure out whether its worth your time to even reload this caliber at all.

If I can save $20 an hour on ammunition by reloading, or I could do contract work for that hour at $75, then it is not worth for me to reload. Since I'd be losing $50 in the process.
    If you're doing computer work, I hope you double check your numbers better than that. 75 - 20 = 55......

On the other hand, if the choice is to work or do something shooting related I will always go for the latter.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Cumberland County)

Part of the reason I load is because I enjoy doing it so I don't think of the time I may be "wasting" loading. To me it is almost as much fun as going out and shooting, but I can see your point about the time if you don't enjoy the process of loading your own ammunition.

I personally don't and won't load for 9mm. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my 9mm pistols...they are fun to shoot...but it's not like I'd miss them if I sold them.

The 9mm casing is rather small and is a PITA to load...I know some will say it's not a big deal, but for me...I don't need to load for 9mm, so I won't.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    If you're doing computer work, I hope you double check your numbers better than that. 75 - 20 = 55......
    I hummm..... mmmmm...... I was taking into account Uncle Sam's Share.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    Part of the reason I load is because I enjoy doing it so I don't think of the time I may be "wasting" loading. To me it is almost as much fun as going out and shooting, but I can see your point about the time if you don't enjoy the process of loading your own ammunition.
    I usually devote more time to my posts, and make sure I read twice before I submit. I posted while at work, so it had to be a quickie. I realize now that my post might have been considered denigrating in some aspect, so I didnt mean to do that. Eventaully I think I'd like to start reloading, right now I dont have the time nor the space, and reloading seems to be a time expensive hobby, and I already have plenty of that.

So to more properly address the main point of the thread, until the price of ammo truly goes astronomically through the roof, I think Ill be playing my guitar, or fragging some noobs on the interwebs.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

I hummm..... mmmmm...... I was taking into account Uncle Sam's Share.
    Spoken like a true programmer. Speaking from first hand experience.... I think I even used that line once before myself.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast