Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: How Many People Reload And Why?

Accuracy mainly.Therapy secondly.And also it is rewarding knowing you taylor made the amunition you took the big buck with.

(Tioga County)

I Started to reload to save money as I was shooting a lot of pistol ammo. I branched into loading for rifle. I reload pistol primarily for cost and rifle of accuracy. I'm also addicted to it.
    I has become a hobby unto itself.

(Indiana County)

A very dear friend(Since passed) introduced me to rifle reloading,close to thirty years ago.I have since bought a Dillon press for all my hndgun loading.My wife keeps telling me my gun room looks more like a ammo factory than a gun room.I spend an awful lot of time in here.I just finished loading two boxes of 25-06,and 500 rounds of 44Mag.I can not think of anything I enjoy more than reloading that I can mention here.

I love reloading, and unfortunately am stuck utilitizing my single stage RCBS Rock Chucker. The ratcheting mechanism on my Lee Turret broke and I have it all boxed up to go back. They said I will most likely wind up with a new one, for all of $8 (shipping to and from.) After my tax return i am definitely upgrading to an RCBS or Dillon progressive. (prolly about the time I buy a Glock 35.)

I also love the people who go to bass pro and buy the 250 round box of .40, and then just shoot away. I love picking up their brass. Although this is the same guy who was shooting .44 mag and almost blinding me with the muzzle flash. Still, I went and shot about 165 rounds, came home with 374 casings for the .40 and a bunch for .45 and .357 sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Lancaster County)

I started to hand load 12 years ago because I was curious about the process. I like to strive for self sufficiency. I use a double stage Herter press (acquired for free) that must weigh several tons. I shoot every weekend and realized that hand loading provides a way to extend my hobby during the work week. I load several rifle calibers due to limited availibility. (Steyr, Carcano, and new to the list .308 Nato) I load 44 mag, 45 acp, 45 lc, and .357 for cost savings. I load 9mm because I am an ammo whore. Why stop at 1K per cailber?

I use my father-in-law's dillon 650 and have reloaded 9mm and 45acp so far. We also have dies for 44mag, 40sw and maybe a couple of other calibers.

My main reason is cost saving, but it's also quite satisfying to know I rolled my own and that they're all very consistent. I found that 'cost saving' is a bit of a false statement though. I don't really save money, but I'm able to practice more often.
    Springfield XD45ACP
    Gun Belts

(York County)

I convinced The Boss that I'd save SO much money reloading... can make rounds for less than half of what it'd cost to buy it, etc., etc... really laid it on her until she finally consented, and I got my press set up.

Feh. Save money. Yeah, right. Who was I kidding? I still spend the same...

...just shoot more.

..which ain't all bad...

Best,

--Coop

(Lackawanna County)

I started off with a redding t-7 turret press for .308, .357/38, .40/10mm, 8mm, and now i am using a Dillon xl650 with a casefeeder and all the other goodies for .45acp/45gap, and 9mm.

I the t-7 beacuse i wanted to learn more about what i was shooting.

I got the dillon because i wanted to practice alot and save some money but mainly because i could tweek my IDPA loads.

It's fun, you're always doing something with your loading stuff. Cleaning, sorting brass, loading, buying new stuff for your press, new dies, new bullets, more primers, changing powders.

There is always stuff that needs to be done down in my reloading room.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234