Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: How Many People Reload And Why?

It all started when I got my M-1 carbine...guy threw in a set of dies and a sackfull of brass....that was it.

Getting set up for one caliber with a single stage press, and a tumbler, some books and components for getting started should cost you less than $200.

Today I have 2 single stages (lee) set up, one is a dedicated decapping station the other is where I load.

Currently loading, 30 carbine, 45 acp, .308, 8mm mauser, 243 winchester and 30-06.

Saving up for a progressive and more dies.

Going to add 30-30, .38's/.357 and 9mm to the mix soon.

Why reload? Economics, self satisfaction, knowledge and my wife knows where I am . The kids help out sometimes too.

Way I see it..anyone can go out and BUY ammo.

(Schuylkill County)

I bought a Lee Loader (the kit you have to use a hammer with) and it was quicker than a single stage (no setup time... all the parts are ready to go).

If it a slow night I'll wack a couple through the loader just keep the process 'fresh' in my mind.

(Cumberland County)

This part of my reloading room.

Hi All,
    Rifle and pistol various cal.I really don't save money but get to shoot more for the same amount.
    Hugh

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Sig View Post
    Hi All,
    Rifle and pistol various cal.I really don't save money but get to shoot more for the same amount.
    Hugh
    Now that is really what it is all about, isn't it?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Cambria County)

I don't reload YET, but want to learn how. Just found out that my grandfather used to reload....unfortunately, he passed away in 1982, and I don't know what happened to his equipment. (although I DO have a box of his reloads in .243)
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Jefferson County)

I reload for my hunting rifles: 223 Rem, 225Win, 32spl, and 45-70.

I, and my rifles prefer a custom load.

My handguns: 357, 44mag and 45LC, both for cost and performance.

I don't reload for my semi-auto handguns. I go through ammo at a shooting too fast to keep up with my demands. That, and I never did find loads that performed much better then bulk/premium stuff to be worth the time involved.

(Lycoming County)

I reload for both savings and increased accuracy. A few of my revolvers have never been fed anything but hand loads. I've used an RCBS Jr. single stage press for years, and recently added a RCBS electronic scale and trickler combo. For the past few years I've been shooting around 4000 rounds a summer of center fire pistol.

I'm one of those odd guys that gets uncomfortable if I don't have a few thousand round of ammo for each caliber I shoot, and work with about eight different calibers to date.

I also enjoy the hobby of reloading in itself.
    Jack

(Berks County)

I'm one of those odd guys that gets uncomfortable if I don't have a few thousand round of ammo for each caliber I shoot
    I must be one of them odd guys too!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Farbmeister View Post
    I bought a Lee Loader (the kit you have to use a hammer with) and it was quicker than a single stage (no setup time... all the parts are ready to go).

If it a slow night I'll wack a couple through the loader just keep the process 'fresh' in my mind.
    That is how I started reloading back in the late 70's! It was a slow process but it taught the fundamentals quite well. Once in a while I would detonate a primer and scare the **** out of my Mother, but as long as I wore safety glasses she was OK with it (She was great!).

I sold all my old Lee "hand loader" kits on Ebay and replaced them with a "progresive" 5 position press made by Hornady. It is a good one but I think there are many good ones out there now.

I used to reload to save money (9mm, 308, 223, and on rare occasion 380Auto and 40SW), but now the cost of 9's are down and my time to shoot is limited so my press sits idle. The only outstanding reloading to be done now is 30 Mauser since that ammo is hard to find and expensive (Tokarov (7.62 x 25) cases can be used but the pressures are to high in factory loades for the older Mauser pistols).

Random thoughts:

If you use lead watch for leading of the barrel. This can cause very high chamber pressures!

Don't mix commercial loading data and military brass. In 308 Win/7.62 NATO this can get you into trouble. If loading for HK91/FNFAL type guns be sure to use a military load and headspace. Can't say about M14's.

If at all possible get carbide or TiN coated dies as they last longer (only available for straight-wall pistol calibers).

Pick a load that fills more than 50% of the case so that if you make a mistake and "double charge" the case you will not be able to seat the bullet.

I used to get stuff at Reloaders Outlet in Monroeville. Good prices and very helpfull, but that was some years ago.

Enjoy!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast