Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How Many People Reload And Why?

If you are spending 300-350 for a Lee press...you are being taken to the cleaners. You can buy a Hornady Lock N Load AP for the same price...and it's a better press...not to bust on Lee but the materials they use in there products are not up to par compared to Dillon, Hornady, RCBS.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    If you are spending 300-350 for a Lee press...you are being taken to the cleaners. You can buy a Hornady Lock N Load AP for the same price...and it's a better press...not to bust on Lee but the materials they use in there products are not up to par compared to Dillon, Hornady, RCBS.
    That was the price of the Lee has listed on their website and to be honest I have had less trouble with my Lee than my father has had with his dillon 550b. I have loaded everything from 9mm to 500s&w to 30-06 without an issue. I realize the Lee doesn't come with a lifetime warranty. The biggest thing I dislike about the dillon is the primer tubes. I do have a rockcrusher along with two MEC 9000g's and I am currently looking at the lee press for the 50bmg.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    All true! Except if there's one thing I've learned about reloading: You can't tell someone who's presently using a Lee press and has become accustomed to its weird idiosyncrasies, (like being highly gravity dependent!) that Lee presses are strictly second rate.

Unless you give a Lee owner a free Dillon press to work with, he ain't never going to believe you. (Trust me; I know!)

I reload because after initial investment, it saves me money. 15.00 for 1000 primers. 25.00 for 1 lb of powder. (reloaded over 1000 rounds 40 S&W and have half a pound left.), 65.00 for 1000 185 grn bullets (ebay), that is just $105 for 1000 rounds. Cheapest place to buy bullets I have found was Bass Pro, and they had em for 42.00 for 250.

I use a Lee Turret Press, with Carbide Dies as my primary. I use a RCBS Rock Chucker single-stage for experimentation. The RCBS came from my dad, and was bought in the mid-1970s. (Dad said it is older than I am.).

Also, I reload for the relaxation. I can lock myself in the garage and it is quiet. My kids know not to bother me in the garage, my wife will come out and try to bother me, but I tell her that I need to concentrate. I reload about 300 rounds a week.

I would like to upgrade the press to a progressive, but it will have to wait till after the first of the year. Maybe tax time. I know of several people who reload 9mm. I don't, don't own one. Only got the .40 with me. My dad reloads everything but rimfire.

As for the beginner, I would recommend a single stage at first. A lot of progressive presses can be set to single stage. The Lee Pro 1000 progressive is 124.99 on Cabelas.com and comes with the dies.

The Lee presses may not be as high quality as the RCBS or Dillon, but the Lee's are a more economical version. I know of a lot of people who use dillon or RCBS but started with Lee. I will upgrade to a progressive, Lee, but the kit comes with everything needed on Cabela's. It is hard for me to be able to justify the money for a new press to my wife. She just doesn't understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Schuylkill County)

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T LET THIS DEGENRATE INTO A LEE VS DILLON ARGUMENT.

They both make fine, quality ammo. PERIOD. If someone wants to debate that then they will simply expose thier ignorance to the masses.

I reload becuase its fun to play with shiney objects!

You save a TON on pistol calibure that have MILSURP components available.

I don't save a lot on .30-06, but .223, .45ACP and .30 Carbine savings have paid for my press (brand withheld) MANY TIMES OVER.

I can tell the reloaders whenever I'm at the range. Reloaders show up with a 30 or 50 call ammo can of cartridges. Non-reloaders show up with a few boxes of whatever was on sale.

Commercial ammo shooters enjoy every shot like it is the last bullet left of the planet.

I shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot some more, make a can dance, shoot some more.

Only problem is that other reloaders generally stop shooting, talk about loads, prep, case OAL, crimping etc instead of killing bowling pins or those evil empty propane tanks.

I would not have the $$ to buy more toys or shoot as much as I do without reloading.

(Clarion County)

I also enjoy reloading and bullet casting.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Allegheny County)

I just got into reloading a couple months ago. I bought the Dillon 550b with a 38/357 setup on Ebay. Got it cheap and basically used it as a single stage for awhile. Call me paranoid but I must have pulled those buttons off 100 times to measure powder. Just something about trusting a machine with such a critical component. I've since learned to trust my charge.....more often.
    As far as saving money, It'll be awhile. I've bought quick changes for 9mm and 223, though I have yet to reload a 223. Still got some reading to do. I truely enjoy reloading, even for 9mm. I know some don't think its worth it, but the novelty hasn't worn off yet. I bought a nice little cabinet that holds all my stuff. Its not big, but roomy enough to work. And thats what i needed, something compact. Aub and I were talking benches awhile ago so I've posted a pic of what i came up with for mine. Its working out pretty good. I'm glad I went with the progressive even though I'm probably slower than most with single stages. But I'm having fun.

Let me get the bench cleaned up, and I"ll show ya'll mine.

It is simple, I made it out of some 3/4" decking, framed with 2X6s, and has 4x4s as the legs. It works great, and it is big enough that I can clutter it up quite well, just takes a couple of days. It also doubles as a woodshop/tinker table etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Allegheny County)

I have been reloading for about 25 yrs on a Rockchucker.

My pump .06 fires about 2 1/2 " groups with almost all brands of factory ammo.

When I download, the groups get around 1 to 1 1/4" with a few groups (the lucky ones) coming in at sub MOA.

I also load for my .44 and my boy's 30/30.

I don't reload for my .40's my 9mm my .308 milsurps and .357 mag. although i may start, especially when i retire in about 2 1/2 yrs and ammo pricing keeps going up.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

I shoot my Mini 14 out to 500yds with my reloads. Some people claim they can't hit a pie plate at 100yds. I can hit one at 500yds.

You learn magic tricks when you reload.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast