Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default 1911s . . . a Step Up?

I didn't want to hijack Soldat222's "School Me" thread asking about 1911s on a $700 budget. But I'd appreciate your help on with an add-on question:

If you were looking for a 1911 for its functionality and craftsmanship, primarily for range use (not for carry) and could spend more than $700 . . . what would the next appropriate budget level be, and whose offerings would you recommend?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: 1911s . . . a Step Up?

It's diminishing returns after that point. You're paying a significant amount more for small improvements.

I think the next REAL level would be the Springfield TRP.

After that, it would be a Les Baer.

Or...my own favorite STI 2011, but that's outside of the box.

Lycan$.02thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    I didn't want to hijack Soldat222's "School Me" thread asking about 1911s on a $700 budget. But I'd appreciate your help on with an add-on question:

If you were looking for a 1911 for its functionality and craftsmanship, primarily for range use (not for carry) and could spend more than $700 . . . what would the next appropriate budget level be, and whose offerings would you recommend?
    456 - I was in the same position I wanted a 1911 that was a step up on the 1911s guns that I have. What I bought was the basic S&W E series in SS for $800 it is a very well made gun and a real beauty. They have the the very light weight dressed out compact with the 39 butt and a Railed version dressed out for $1198-$1300.

Now the most talked about near custom made gun around here is one of the Dan Wesson 1911 they run about $1100-$1400. Then the S.A. 1911 Loaded is said to be a best buy for around $1098.

Then you have the used STis, Wilsons, Les Baer and Ed Browns for about $1200 -$1800 pendng which model they are really nice.

Some say that The Al or ARL new Taurus are equal to $1100 guns and are a steal in SS for $699 - $725.

I guess the Dan Wesson arms 1911s are best buys. Though its hard to Beat a Ed Brown, Les Baer or Wilson in my mind.
    Last edited by Neko456; April 4th, 2012 at 03:59 PM.

(Tioga County)

I know nothing about the ins and outs of 1911s. I've shot a few of them, but didn't feel enlightened, so maybe I missed something.

For a design that's been around for 100 years, why does a "good one" cost nearly two grand? Is it made of unobtainium and hand-finished by virgins? What gets left out of a more pedestrian model selling for $700? If I understand the design, the parts should be interchangeable.

I don't want to start a food fight, but perhaps I just don't get the whole 1911 thing...

--Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I know nothing about the ins and outs of 1911s. I've shot a few of them, but didn't feel enlightened, so maybe I missed something.

For a design that's been around for 100 years, why does a "good one" cost nearly two grand? Is it made of unobtainium and hand-finished by virgins? What gets left out of a more pedestrian model selling for $700? If I understand the design, the parts should be interchangeable.

I don't want to start a food fight, but perhaps I just don't get the whole 1911 thing...

--Phil
    456 - This should be a different thread. I think that what it is. Either you gert it or you don't. The 1911 design is 100+ years old but it still a usefull fighting pistols alot of swat team and special forces units still carry this gun in some version. It still seems to dominate some competitive shooting at its highest level, Some think they are at a disadvantage competeing against them with a DA/Sa pistol.

You feel they cost too muh how much does a Germany Luger cost or a WWI P38 big bucks, the 1911 is in that same category but better because its still being used daily.

Yes the finest 1911s are hand fitted and tested to get 1" accuracy at 50 yards. Now most regular joes can't do that but those that can its a great tool.

It has the finest trigger of any design and that helps accuracy at the range or in competition.

I own 5 mostly what I'd call mid levels there are others that own many more like any sickness.
    Last edited by Neko456; April 4th, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Colt gold cup!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    Colt gold cup!
    12 letters ..... and right to the point ...

(Allegheny County)

Colt Gold Cup, Dan Wesson, S&W E series, and I really like the Doublestar 1911 too.

I wish I had the $$$ for a Les Baier, Ed Brown, or Volkmann.
    Stay frosty....

(Montgomery County)

The next step up would be between $1,000 and $1,400. For me, if I was going to spend in that range my first choice would be a new SS Dan Wesson Valor or V-Bob. They come in at about $1,400. You can find them used occasionally. Good luck on the hunt. You can also find used Springfield TRPs for about $1,000. Very good bang for the buck. They had two at Classic Pistol in Southampton, PA about a week ago. The Colt Wiley Clapp Commander is a good lightweight 1911 for about $1,400. Why the Dan Wessons? The frames/slides are hand-lapped for fit. All the parts are machined (no MIM). The barrels are semi-drop in. When you want to step it up a notch you can get a barrel/bushing hard fit. They come with Heinie straight 8 night sights. The trigger jobs are very good right out of the box.

Just my two cents.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

--Phil
    Man, for a minute I thought you were describing the FN SCAR!
    Stay frosty....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast