Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default The word "CHEAP"

I see a lot of ads in the firearms section that go like this: "wanted CHEAP pistol" or "wanted CHEAP hunting rifle".

While the word "CHEAP" has the meaning of: "a favorable bargain" or "not expensive" or "worth more than the asking price",
    it also has just as strong a meaning as: "deserving of scorn", "of little value". "poor quality", "virtually worthless" and other derogatory phrases.

The word the potential buyers are looking for is "INEXPENSIVE" or "AFFORDABLE".

It's add more clarity to their search.

Mayble they will get something that won't blow up in their face.

Default Re: The word "CHEAP"

Ehhhh... I think it's obvious that they're not looking for poor quality. It's a conversational convention. When telling someone about a great deal, one might say "I got it really cheap." It's pretty clear that the person saying this isn't trying to tell you that they bought a piece of crap.

Actually, looking for a 'cheap' gun means something like this: I want to give you only $300 for your $1000 gun... Do we have a deal?
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Delaware County)

Yes, but my point is that the words: "AFFORDABLE" or "INEXPENSIVE" have no negative connotations.

Where "CHEAP" does.

Or even" REASONABLY PRICED" is better.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by puccini View Post
    Yes, but my point is that the words: "AFFORDABLE" or "INEXPENSIVE" have no negative connotations.

Where "CHEAP" does.

Or even" REASONABLY PRICED" is better.
    When speaking or typing, a lot of people are lazy, cheap is easier to write.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    When speaking or typing, a lot of people are lazy, cheap is easier to write.

It's also more natural in conversation.

(Delaware County)

I'm not sure about "cheap" being more natural in a conversation.

Language is extremely important in that it expresses exactly what we need to communicate.

Lets say you walked into a shop to buy a suit.
    You say to the salesman: "I want to buy a cheap suit".
    Whats that say to the salesman. You want a low quality suit?

Same goes for a TV. Do you want a TV that will last, one of good quality at an affordable price or just a TV that is low in price? If I was a saleman I'd have to ask your meaning.

It's like the famous 2nd ammendment issue. Too bad the framers didn't make it clearer.
    We could have avoided many years of court litigation by just saying:
    "The right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed".

They could have done away with the "militia" stuff.

Given the opportunity to use one of many words in communication, the one with the clearest meaning is the best choice.

I love the one where a wife asks he husband if he ever "slept" with another woman.

If you were wide awake all the time then it's an easy out!

(Montgomery County)

I'm not sure about "cheap" being more natural in a conversation.

Language is extremely important in that it expresses exactly what we need to communicate.

Lets say you walked into a shop to buy a suit.
    You say to the salesman: "I want to buy a cheap suit".
    Whats that say to the salesman. You want a low quality suit?

Same goes for a TV. Do you want a TV that will last, one of good quality at an affordable price or just a TV that is low in price? If I was a saleman I'd have to ask your meaning.

It's like the famous 2nd ammendment issue. Too bad the framers didn't make it clearer.
    We could have avoided many years of court litigation by just saying:
    "The right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed".

They could have done away with the "militia" stuff.

Given the opportunity to use one of many words in communication, the one with the clearest meaning is the best choice.

I love the one where a wife asks he husband if he ever "slept" with another woman.

If you were wide awake all the time then it's an easy out!
    Those are specific scenarios. Not casual conversation. If you're trying to convey an important and specific description then it may be helpful to use more specific terms with less alternative meanings. However, in social interactions, people generally tend to simply convey a point or a thought and usually do so with the most general or common terms. People generally use the words with the most flexible usage in conversation instead of specific or explicit terminology.

Such as, "I'm going to the store." or "I bought this new gun today, it was cheap!". When speaking of cheap as shoddy or low-quality it is usually found in a context which supports that meaning. Having purchased something today of exceptionally low quality is not usually spoken of with excitement. Something being described as low quality is usually found in a more suitable context such as "Those are cheap knock-offs"

(Delaware County)

Yep, I guess your right. I'll tell you why this has been on my mind.
    In 1964 I was stationed in Bermuda while I was in the Navy. (Yes, I know, your thinking, "how the hell did I get that lucky")

I stepped into a mens store run by a proper British gentleman.
    I was sized up and shown fabrics and when I was told that the cost of the suit was a lot less than I thought, I said "wow, thats cheap".

The gentleman said: "sir,we sell nothing cheap in our establishment, all our suits are of fine quality. I believe the word your looking for is "inexpensive".

Always remembered that exchange.

Guy was right on!

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Yep, I guess your right. I'll tell you why this has been on my mind.
    In 1964 I was stationed in Bermuda while I was in the Navy. (Yes, I know, your thinking, "how the hell did I get that lucky")

I stepped into a mens store run by a proper British gentleman.
    I was sized up and shown fabrics and when I was told that the cost of the suit was a lot less than I thought, I said "wow, thats cheap".

The gentleman said: "sir,we sell nothing cheap in our establishment, all our suits are of fine quality. I believe the word your looking for is "inexpensive".

Always remembered that exchange.

Guy was right on!
    I don't aspire to being a stuffy, patrician British man.

I do see where you're coming from, and I think that everyone should be able to read and write English correctly. I also fail to understand how Americans can have such painfully small vocabularies, and then I remember that I graduated HS with plenty of people that had never read a book.

The point I'm slowly getting around to is that using a somewhat more limited vocabulary, interspersed with slang, is not only normal, but a better way of communicating with most people. Knowing how, and when, to change is called "code switching", and we all do it. We use a different language sets when we talk to different people of different backgrounds or positions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast