Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CAN my father, gf, friend,etc OC My handgun??

Ok i need some help with this question. as you all know we dont need a CCW permit to OC in PA. Now what if i wanted to go on a walk with say my father, GF, or just a guy friend. Can i Give them my other G23 and blackhawk holster, And let them OC while WITH ME??????????

I plan on going to meet and greets when ever they are held. And even OCBBQ. But if i have a gf at the time of them, i mainly stay single, but if i dooo. Id like to bring her and let her OC. Doubt she would have her LTCF or own her own handgun.
    Last edited by AndrewG23; April 3rd, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: CAN my father, gf, friend,etc OC My handgun??

To lend a "firearm" to someone outside of your home other than your spouse, parent, child, grandparent, or grandchild they would need a LTCF. It doesn't matter the how they carry it, it is due to the law regulating lending of "firearms".

Of those relations that I mentioned above, they would not need a LTCF because "transfers" between those relations is exemption. However, should they conceal the handgun, carry it in Philly, carry it during an emergency, or transport it in a vehicle - then they would need a LTCF.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    To lend a "firearm" to someone outside of your home other than your spouse, parent, child, grandparent, or grandchild they would need a LTCF. It doesn't matter the how they carry it, it is due to the law regulating lending of "firearms".

Of those relations that I mentioned above, they would not need a LTCF because "transfers" between those relations is exemption. However, should they conceal the handgun, carry it in Philly, carry it during an emergency, or transport it in a vehicle - then they would need a LTCF.

Soo she "can" carry "my" Handgun, she would just need her LTCF then? And im assuming i would need my LTCF to lend it to her.. I have read before that i can lend my handgun to my "son" but i need a LTCF to do so.. BTW i dont have kids. just saying.

(Allegheny County)

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question stemming from this. If someones wife were to not have a LTCF and is in the car with someone who HAS a LTCF who is driving; couldn't in theory simply remove the gun when she gets in the car and place it say in the glove box and be perfectly legal?

Also what about when your wife borrows your car registered in your name and she is unaware you kept last nights .45 purchase in the glove box? I remember reading something that it is legal if the car is registered in your name and they are unaware...etc etc.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewG23 View Post
    Soo she "can" carry "my" Handgun, she would just need her LTCF then? And im assuming i would need my LTCF to lend it to her.. I have read before that i can lend my handgun to my "son" but i need a LTCF to do so.. BTW i dont have kids. just saying.
    You don't need a LTCF to lend the gun to anyone. The person borrowing the handgun needs a LTCF - except those specifically related folks. Lending guns between those direct relatives is only considered a "temporary transfer".

No matter who they are though - if they carry it concealed outside of their homes, in Philly, during an emergency, or even merely transport it in a vehicle(except between vacation home and real home, or to/from gunsmith or shooting range) - they will need a LTCF.

A LTCF is only $20. There really isn't any reason why a person shouldn't have one just for the "cover your ass" sakes.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by GetITCdot View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question stemming from this. If someones wife were to not have a LTCF and is in the car with someone who HAS a LTCF who is driving; couldn't in theory simply remove the gun when she gets in the car and place it say in the glove box and be perfectly legal?

Also what about when your wife borrows your car registered in your name and she is unaware you kept last nights .45 purchase in the glove box? I remember reading something that it is legal if the car is registered in your name and they are unaware...etc etc.
    There is a clause for spouses and children to not be in violation of the law if there is a handgun of the other spouse or parent in the vehicle in which that vehicle is registered to the gun owner who has a LTCF.

While the law is somewhat worded to be all-inclusive, the spirit of it is for the unintentional situations where a licensed gun owner left the gun in the car and his/her spouse or child borrows the vehicle.

(Allegheny County)

There is a clause for spouses and children to not be in violation of the law if there is a handgun of the other spouse or parent in the vehicle in which that vehicle is registered to the gun owner who has a LTCF.

While the law is somewhat worded to be all-inclusive, the spirit of it is for the unintentional situations where a licensed gun owner left the gun in the car and his/her spouse or child borrows the vehicle.
    Thank you sir

OK thanks man so then my FATHER Dosnt need his LTCF to OC with me then...? lol.

GetITCdot" Are you asking if your wife was OCn without A LTCF? If so then technically yes you could do that If you had your LTCF. Now the you gun being in your car that your spouse or family member is driving is legal to even if she did or didnt know about it. better for her to say that she didnt know tho.. And P.S Why would the officer even know if it was in the glove box? LEO cannot search the vehicle or person for a traffic violation. If she knows theres a chance that your gun is in the car when she gets pulled over, dont consent to unwarrented search.

Knight0334, Where is Brookville, PA?

(Montgomery County)

Relevant law from Pa UFA
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6115: Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited
    (a) Offense defined.--No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
    (b) Exception.--
    (1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
    (i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).
    (ii) The person who receives the firearm is exempt from licensing.
    (iii) The person who receives the firearm is engaged in a hunter safety program certified by the Pennsylvania Game Commission or a firearm training program or competition sanctioned or approved by the National Rifle Association.
    (iv) The person who receives the firearm meets all of the following:
    (A) Is under 18 years of age.
    (B) Pursuant to section 6110.1 (relating to possession of firearm by minor) is under the supervision, guidance and instruction of a responsible individual who:
    (I) is 21 years of age or older; and
    (II) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under section 6105 (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms).
    (v) The person who receives the firearm is lawfully hunting or trapping and is in compliance with the provisions of Title 34 (relating to game).
    (vi) A bank or other chartered lending institution is able to adequately secure firearms in its possession.
    (2) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of a firearm under 20 Pa.C.S. Ch. 21 (relating to intestate succession) or by bequest if the individual receiving the firearm is not precluded from owning or possessing a firearm under section 6105.
    (3) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the loaning or giving of a firearm to another in one's dwelling or place of business if the firearm is retained within the dwelling or place of business.
    (4) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the relinquishment of firearms to a third party in accordance with 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast