Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Pocket carry help

So I have owned firearms for well over a decade, but it was only a few months ago that I finally decided to get my carry permit.

I have been carrying a handgun for a week now. An old Kel Tec P3at, in condition 3 (no round in the chamber, I know, I know), in my front pocket of my dress khakis, in a Desantis Nemisis holster.

So far I love pocket carry, and I like the size and weight of the KT, but I want to upgrade. I have mostly full sized handguns, with the exception of a S&W 642. I tried to pocket carry my 642, but the grip would slightly poke out of some of my pants.

I was considering a Ruger LC9. Nice 9mm, with a safety to ease the whole, "the gun is going to fall out and some random person is going to pick it up and shoot themselves" worries. I just don't know if its pocketable. Especially with my work wardrobe of dress slacks and buttoned dress shirts.

I have been looking at comparison photos and it looks a little bigger, but I can't figure it out. I Figured I would ask the PAFOA brain trust. Should I get a LC9 or should I just upgrade into another pocket .380 with a safety like the Sig 238 or the S&W Bodyguard.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pocket carry help

Quote Originally Posted by theyoungone View Post
    So I have owned firearms for well over a decade, but it was only a few months ago that I finally decided to get my carry permit.

I have been carrying a handgun for a week now. An old Kel Tec P3at, in condition 3 (no round in the chamber, I know, I know), in my front pocket of my dress khakis, in a Desantis Nemisis holster.

So far I love pocket carry, and I like the size and weight of the KT, but I want to upgrade. I have mostly full sized handguns, with the exception of a S&W 642. I tried to pocket carry my 642, but the grip would slightly poke out of some of my pants.

I was considering a Ruger LC9. Nice 9mm, with a safety to ease the whole, "the gun is going to fall out and some random person is going to pick it up and shoot themselves" worries. I just don't know if its pocketable. Especially with my work wardrobe of dress slacks and buttoned dress shirts.

I have been looking at comparison photos and it looks a little bigger, but I can't figure it out. I Figured I would ask the PAFOA brain trust. Should I get a LC9 or should I just upgrade into another pocket .380 with a safety like the Sig 238 or the S&W Bodyguard.
    I have a Kahr PM9 that I bought to pocket carry. I found out that it is a little too big to pocket carry comfortably. I would suggest staying with the 380.

(Lawrence County)

I pocket carry my LC9 in a Nemesis, not a problem... The magazine comes with two bottom plates, one is a pinky rest (I guess), and the other is flat. I put the flat one on and threw it in my pocket, but I don't use the safety... No problems...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Allegheny County)

I pocket carry a PF9. You definitely want the flat bottom plate for the mag. I've ripped a pair of pants when the pinky one got caught on something.

Do whatever you feel safer with but you really don't need a safety with the heavy dao triggers. Your finger is your safety, as long as the gun stays in the holster you will be fine. Just don't carry anything else in the same pocket

Since you are new to carrying, you are just nervous which is understandable . With time you will get more comfortable

I sometimes pocket carry my Sig P232 in a Galco pocket holster. That's about as big a pistol you want to pocket carry.

You have a few options: For the J Frame, try to find slacks that will comfortably fit the J Frame, and where those.

If you want to get a different gun, I'd go with something smaller than the LC9, especially if you're going with dress slacks. Look at the LCP. Kahr makes some super small 380's and some small 9mms.

Pocket carrying usually entails having to accept some weird weight distribution in the front of the pants. Your best bet is to handle the LC9 and see if it fits your dress slacks. Then determine if shooting 9mm out of such a small platform is also acceptable.

(Berks County)

Let me start by saying your size is important , I am 6'4" 250lbs. I pocket carry a Ruger .38 LCR CT in a Desantis Nemesis. It fits perfect in my pockets even in khakis and shorts and I prefer the .38 special over the .380.

My neighbor is 5'9" and maybe 165lbs ...he pocket carries the Ruger LCP in a Nemesis ...just fits him better and is a smaller package.

It comes down to what fits your personal profile and preference. it makes no sense to pocket carry a M&P .40c if it looks like you have an M&P .40c in your pocket .... if you get my drift.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Monroe County)

I pocket carry a TCP 738. Sometimes in my front pocket, rear pocket and some shirt pockets.

Just cause everyone says LCP don't refuse to look at the Taurus line. Their trigger guards fit my fingers.

(Cumberland County)

I used to have a Ruger LCP in a nemesis pocket holster and it absolutely disappears in the pocket. I wanted to upgrade to 9mm and bought a Kahr CM9 and as another poster said, it is not nearly as comfortable as the LCP, but it still can be easily concealed, it is just alittle heavier and bulkier. I carry it in a Crossbreed and i absolutley forget about it...it is a great holster. And as another poster stated it depends on your size. I am 5'10 175...and i couldnt easily and comfortably conceal my glock 19. But the Kahr CM9 is very accurate firearm.

(Somerset County)

if the kel tec runs ok why switch. I carry one every day. It goes bang every time and its so easy to conceal that I take it everywhere. I have a glock 26 and a 1911 that I do take in cold weather but most of the time its the kel tec. If I only had the glock I know I would leave it home most of the time because its not as easy to conceal. The small 9's are just big enough to cause me to stay with the little 380.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast