Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default How to Remain Silent when Questioned by the Police - Open Carry

This video shows how having the discipline to keep your mouth shut is often better than having slick &/or informed answers: http://youtu.be/1n1BHJs5V5c

Full disclosure, I don't OC but do engage in activism that attracts LEO attention.

Default Re: How to Remain Silent when Questioned by the Police - Open Carry

Try that tactic in Philadelphia and see how far it gets you.

(Philadelphia County)

Unfortunately, even when you try to cooperate with the thugs in Philadelphia, they still will harass, beat and then arrest you... I bet this would just expedite the process.

(Jefferson County)

There is also a difference between remaining silent and being polite.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

I'm not an avid OC'er, but I do OC on occasion. If the officer approached me in a respectful manner as it seemed he did in the video, I would have been equally respectful. I would also venture to assume that even if I was not greeted respectfully, I would at least be tactful in my responses.

Some may disagree, but that's just the type of person I am.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bagman29 View Post
    I'm not an avid OC'er, but I do OC on occasion. If the officer approached me in a respectful manner as it seemed he did in the video, I would have been equally respectful. I would also venture to assume that even if I was not greeted respectfully, I would at least be tactful in my responses.

Some may disagree, but that's just the type of person I am.
    Right. Treat others as they treat you. Exchanging pleasantries doesn't hurt you. You are free to stop talking when things gets intrusive.

By clamming up entirely, what was once a polite office may now treat other OC'rs like an ass because he was treated like an ass. If the LEO is being a dick, sure - clam up entirely.

Whether we like it or not, when you OC or even CC , whether carrying for protection or making a statement - you are an ambassador. Tact, courtesy, and manners goes a long way.

I actually felt bad for the LEO in the original post.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Right. Treat others as they treat you. Exchanging pleasantries doesn't hurt you. You are free to stop talking when things gets intrusive.

By clamming up entirely, what was once a polite office may now treat other OC'rs like an ass because he was treated like an ass. If the LEO is being a dick, sure - clam up entirely.

Whether we like it or not, when you OC or even CC , whether carrying for protection or making a statement - you are an ambassador. Tact, courtesy, and manners goes a long way.

Right! I've worked in the Dept of Corrections for a "few" years, & my motto when dealing with prisoners (And people in general) has always been, "Act like an asshole, get treated like an asshole."
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Venango County)

Although the officer is a person, you must also (and one hopes the officer realizes) he is an agent of the state. You can think of him as the state. You don't have to be pleasant, happy, mad, sad, or polite when dealing with the state. One should be cautious. One can still be respectful and somewhat polite by clamming up and explaining why (you're right not to incromminate yourself) if you feel that is necessary.

I have had encounters with police and have been straightforward with them. (I once entered a major burglary scene late at night in CA) I once was mirandized and I clammed up immediately. That is an interesting story that I have told in another thread long ago.

If I suspect that I am being the target of an arrest; I will remain silent until speaking with a lawyer. If I stumble into an investigation, I will state where I came from, where I was going and that I was passing through. If they didn't believe that, then I would have quit 'cooperating' in indicting myself.

IANAL and even that little bit of cooperation could unknowingly get you in trouble as you do not know what the evidence (seemingly) against you is and the police are allowed to lie to you about the facts during interrogations/questioning from my understanding.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Gotta agree with knight and ironbutt. I enjoyed the video though..
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    . . .
    I did too, and I never feel bad for cops. :-)

I think the OC'er could have said something like "I'm carrying legally and would like to go about my business. If you have no reason for detaining me further, I'll be on my way."

I think that most people would interpret a non-response as being rude. Like others have said, there's no reason to be rude if the cop is not rude to you.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast