Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Security at Independence Hall

What security? Visited Indep Hall and the Liberty Bell today in Phillly and I was surprised by the lack of security. I was required to lift my coat and spin around, and my wife had her purse examined. No metal detectors or pocket check. It would be extremely easy for anyone to bring a weapon in and I just don't get their method of security. I saw the Liberty Bell 5 years ago and security had metal detectors and x-ray machine. I wish security would do a more thorough screening of visitors if I'm entering unarmed and relying on them for my safety. A lot of armed PD and NPS at Independence Hall but not at the Liberty Bell.
    Last edited by sigsauer357; April 1st, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Security at Independence Hall

While conceal carry is now legal in National Parks - provided state laws are observed, I believe carry in federal buildings (where federal workers are present) is still illegal.

Of course, if your point is that visitors (and the physical federal buildings) are vulnerable due to lax security, that is a different issue than the right to carry in these places, since "evil-doers" will disregard any firearms laws anyway.

Regardless, I suspect there is more security down there at Independence Hall than meets the eye.

(Centre County)

Weird. When I was there 5 years ago, they had a TSA-airport style checkpoint to get in the complex. I had to bury my tiny pocket knife in a construction site a block away and retrieve it later.

(Montgomery County)

I've never been searched at all entering the building that houses the liberty bell.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Monroe County)

Last time I was in Philly (Jan?) the much liked handgun with a red circle and slash was displayed at the door for the bell. I didn't even try going in.

(Butler County)

Are they required to have lock boxes there. I know court houses are required, but I was wondering if you are not permitted to carry in Federal buildings shouldn't they have to provide lock boxes?

Just curious.

(Northampton County)

1.20.14 Security pretty much a joke. There was bag checks, and they give you a look over at both entrances to Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. (lift up your coat and spin around)
    I kept my wallet in front right pants pocket and the guard at Liberty Bell building questioned what was in it.

They were more concerned talking about twice baked potatoes at the entrance to Independence Hall. Pretty much a joke.

I forget if it was at initial visitors center or Liberty Bell Center they had the "No gun" sign and the code posted under it.

Lots of armed police and Park Rangers around for site security.