Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Info on Strasburg Sportsman's

Would appreciate info on Strasburg Sportsman. Did a search and got some general info. I gather on the small side. Can anyone provided some specifics, such as, type of ranges and distances? Also how many positions at each range? Allow close distance pistol shooting and general pistol self defense practice? Thanks.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Info on Strasburg Sportsman's

Jack, I used to be a member there as of last year so most of the info I can give you is based on that.
    You are correct in assuming it is on the smaller side. They have pistol and rifle ranges. It is just some nice benches for the rifle range. I think there is enough room for about 4-6 people to shoot at the same time on rifle range. They have 50, 100 and 200 yard rifle ranges. There was a 75 yard one but I'm not sure if that is there anymore.
    The pistol range is right beside the rifle range. The targets are 2x4s with plywood to staple your target to. There are 3 of those. You can walk right up to those and shoot.
    The only problem is that that pistol range and rifle range are beside each other with nothing separating them. So if you want to get closer to the pistol targets the people on the rifle line have to cease fire.
    I've never seen or am aware of any rules prohibiting any type of self defense style shooting.
    You can also shoot clays there as well, but there are no trap boxes.
    It is a decent range and is pretty well maintained.
    The only downfall of the place is that it is more of a good old boys club than a shooting club. Basically, most of the guys that are members are usually down in the clubhouse drinking beer and playing cards.
    The only upside to that is that there usually aren't too many people out there shooting. The only times I've found a lot of people there is before hunting seasons (sighting in their guns).
    Hope that helps! If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.