Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Home invasion: will I wake up in time to defend myself & loved ones?

230am this morning I woke up to my dog feaking out, girlfriend shaking me and someone outside my apartment screaming "kill whitey!" Apparently the guy had yanked open the locked aluminum screen door, entered the small enclosure, started slamming on the inner door (which is technically inside of my home) and was trying to force his way in. I woke up on the tale end of the incident after he had stopped trying to get in, just heard "kill whitey," and started laughing because, y'know, someone was running around screaming "kill whitey" outside.

It wasn't until my girlfriend explained that he was trying to break in that I became really disturbed about what had happened.

Thank god my dog went apeshit and woke her up, because I was out cold! If the guy had succeeded and gotten inside, I doubt I would have woken up in time to defend us. I keep a pistol on the nightstand within arms-reach, but there just wouldn't have been time because I live in a loft-ish place with an open floor-plan and he would have been right on top of us immediately.

So, today I'm left with some serious doubts about my ability to defend my home and loved one(s) because I'm a deep sleeper.

Thoughts, advice, experience?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Home invasion: will I wake up in time to defend myself & loved ones?

Though I'm not aware of any techniques you can use to become a lighter sleeper, it sounds like you could benefit greatly from a stronger exterior door with more robust locks and some type of audible alarm that could wake you up.
    This will hopefully allow you enough time to come to your wits and arm yourself if necessary.

Edit: Since your GF awoke before you, I would also advise that you tell her the location and teach her how to operate your firearm as well.

Stay safe, and vigilant.
    Last edited by bagman29; March 31st, 2012 at 03:46 PM.

Default Re: Home invasion: will I wake up in time to defend myself & loved ones?

Quote Originally Posted by bagman29 View Post
    Though I'm not aware of any techniques you can use to become a lighter sleeper, it sounds like you could benefit greatly from a stronger exterior door with more robust locks and some type of audible alarm that could wake you up.
    And more BIGGER, MEANER dogs

(Montgomery County)

They sell alarms at the dollar store that you could put on the doors & windows that make a super loud noise when the door/window is opened without the alarm being turned off from the inside.

(Cumberland County)

Well, that takes care of that.

Good advice Bagman, (you too DC )

I assume the OP rents. Mention the incident to your landlord, and either at your cost (or his, if you can talk him into it) look into heavy duty deadbolts.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lackawanna County)

In our last apartment, we had cheap little door chime alarms we got at the dollar store, probably the same exact ones Byblos is talking about. You peel the backing off them, stick them to the door frame, and stick the alarm part to the door. They're loud as hell, and have a door chime, alarm, and off setting. We need to get some more of those for our new place.

Earlier this morning, my boyfriend got up to use his asthma machine around 4 AM. He found the kitchen door was wide open, and freaked out, grabbed a gun out of our kitchen cabinet, and went about clearing the house. He came back to bed about 1/2 hour later, still a little freaked out, because he never heard the door being opened. It was really windy last night around here, with the thunderstorm we had, so we figure the wind pressure must have pushed the door open. The lock on the door is crap. Another thing we need to address.

He's a pretty light sleeper, so I think that he would have heard someone breaking in. Me? We'd all be murdered by a chainsaw before I ever woke up.
    Last edited by mollymayhem82; March 31st, 2012 at 03:58 PM.

(Luzerne County)

I am curious as to what happened to the kill whitey guy?

Was the cops called and he removed?

Gave up banging on the door?

Will he be back tonight with a sledge hammer?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Great idea on the alarms, def going to pick some up for the doors! So far my dog has been my default alarm, but I'm so used to him barking at everything that I must completely block it out. Don't need a bigger/meaner one, he's about 50lbs and slightly "touched" with aggression issues.

I'm floored by the whole thing and it is a wake-up call (no pun). My girlfriend, who is now into shooting, has asked why I carry so often and keep a pistol next to the bed at night, like I'm maybe a little bit paranoid...her perspective may have just changed dramatically. I said, "don't depend on me to protect you/us. if someone comes through that door in the middle of the night light the fucker up!"

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtk215 View Post
    Great idea on the alarms, def going to pick some up for the doors! So far my dog has been my default alarm, but I'm so used to him barking at everything that I must completely block it out. Don't need a bigger/meaner one, he's about 50lbs and slightly "touched" with aggression issues.

I'm floored by the whole thing and it is a wake-up call (no pun). My girlfriend, who is now into shooting, has asked why I carry so often and keep a pistol next to the bed at night, like I'm maybe a little bit paranoid...her perspective may have just changed dramatically. I said, "don't depend on me to protect you/us. if someone comes through that door in the middle of the night light the fucker up!"
    The other thing you can do is re-enforce the interior bedroom door. Lock it when you go to bed, so that if they do get inside before you're awake, it'll take them a little bit to get through the interior door where you are.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Carbon County)

even if you were a light sleeper, if you are in a loft and someone kicked your door in, you would have about 3 to 5 seconds to wake up, collect your thoughts. i dont think there are many people that can clear their head that quick to realize whats going on, grab the gun and be ready to access the situation. your best bet is either get a loft that you can sleep upsatairs or fortify your bedroom door. if your in a loft you might not even have a door. i guess your shit out of luck..lol.
    maybe you can train the dog to shoot?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast