Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Blue Bloods: Gun "buy back"

The latest episode of Blood Bloods points out much of the idiocy behind "buy back" programs. The police commissioner comments that half of the guns that they take in are relics, at the buy back place they show people turning scoped hunting rifles and then they wind up with a criminal turning in a gun that the police are looking for and the conundrum that face the cops when they are faced with the "no questions asked" policy.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Blue Bloods: Gun "buy back"

Tom Selleck (the commissioner) is an NRA member and probably carries enough 'clout' to keep the anti-gun BS under control and portray true, responsible, gun ownership and use.

There was another scene where a witness gave a very accurate description of a handgun. When the detective (Donnie Wahlberg) asked how she was sure, she said her husband used one just like it to train her. His comment was something to the effect 'More people should do that'.

There have been other episodes that are fair to gun owners too. I wonder what the personal beliefs of the other actors in the show are regarding firearms?

Dale

(Monroe County)

I agree that show is okay when it comes to firearms. My only real problem was an episode that discussed citizens carrying guns. Most at the family dinner were okay with it but Wahlbergs character who was oppossed. Though even those that wanted citizens carrying only wanted "those we approved of, not just any citizen."

I have a bigger beef with the unconstitutional crap Wahlbergs character does as a cop, and while the other family members give him grief about it is usually ends as with a feeling that as long as it was for the "greater good" it was okay.

Edited to add: It does show some good real life stuff. The grandfather was at the hospital after Selleck was attacked. He was armed with his old revolver and sure enough he had the grip wrapped up in rubberbands. I had not seen that since my uncles old revolver before he moved to a semi.

(Bucks County)

I missed the episode on concealed carry.

I regularly DVR the show. It is one of my favorites. I have never seen a show dealing with guns in this manner on regular tv.

There was an episode on concealed carry and reciprocity and dealing with a woman.

I enjoy the show and was thinking about letting P.I. know it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    I missed the episode on concealed carry.

The episode had to do with a man who was illegally carrying a revolver on the subway. He had no license but a citizen with no record who had a previous issue which made him carry.

He used the revolver to shoot dead a guy with a long rap sheet who started shooting people. I really cannot remember the details becasue it was last season but the conversation that "people shoudl carry but only the ones the police think should" rubbed me the wrong way.

Still love the show.

Edit: found it. it was the second episode of the first season titled "Samaritan"

(Lehigh County)

Now I wonder if they'll do a show where some of those guns go "missing" because they were stolen by corrupt NYPD personnel and sold back to the criminals.... You know, just like real life.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    Now I wonder if they'll do a show where some of those guns go "missing" because they were stolen by corrupt NYPD personnel and sold back to the criminals.... You know, just like real life.

They have already based the first season on corruption and the killing of a fellow officer because of the corruption.

The show is the best pro gun series I have seen on national TV.

There was even a episode of the father teaching a 10 year old sun about guns.

Not to mention Tom yelling at one of the extras about playing with a gun on set.

Just the fact it is "mainstream" has made me very happy.

(Montgomery County)

So you're telling me this is a cop show that takes place in NYC, has realistic gun related interaction and presentation and doesn't depict all gun owners as snarling murder happy lunatics?? Is Bloomberg dead? or did hell get a little chilly.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    So you're telling me this is a cop show that takes place in NYC, has realistic gun related interaction and presentation and doesn't depict all gun owners as snarling murder happy lunatics?? Is Bloomberg dead? or did hell get a little chilly.
    Neither, but I commented to the wife Friday night while we were watching that Bloomberg probably has fits when this show comes on if he even watches it at all...I'd sure like to be a fly on his wall sometimes though,haha
    Jesus is Lord !

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post

Funny you mention Bloomburg.

There was an episode where Tom and one of his sons were at the Pier fishing. there was recently a new mayor elected. They were smoking cigars when a cop came up to them and explained that they can no longer smoke in public areas.

Tom made a remark "atleast we no longer have a nanny in office".