Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Daniel Boone Rod and Gun Club

Hi,
    I am fairly new to the area and the "Daniel Boone Rod and gun Club" is very close to me and would like to know if you need a reference to join this club?____
    Also when i went on their website it just said Rifle Range..... can you shoot a revolver there?_____ Does anybody belong to it that can maybe tell me about this club as it looks pretty good?____

http://www.danielboonerodandgun.com/...tpage&Itemid=1

I also took a ride past Muhlenberg Shooting Association on Sofiano's Rd and wonder if anyone has any info on that range?_____

All i want to do is practice and make a few friends...... thanks for any help.
    Joe

Default Re: Daniel Boone Rod and Gun Club

Hey Joe-

Welcome to the forum!

I am a member at Daniel Boone. The membership form requires a referral, but I was also new to the area when I joined and didn't know anyone. I simply went to the club during the weekend and talked to some of the guys in charge and was able to use one of them as a reference. My guess is that if you went over there when there are a lot of people over there (weekends or during a shoot), you should be able to convince them to let you join.

There is not a separate rifle/pistol range, but they have a section for you to shoot pistols which is part of the "rifle" range.

I really like the club -- it works perfectly for me because it is within a few miles of my house and membership is cheap. I've been a member for over two years now.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe50 View Post

Also when i went on their website it just said Rifle Range.....
    Part of the problem is that they have recently redone their website. The new web site gives you up to the minute weather and a detailed analysis of their web site traffic including a list of valid user IDs (a big security no-no).

There are several things it doesn't have however. There is no phone number, email address, link to an application form, list of membership requirements, mention of annual fees or any way to find out when they have their monthly meetings. Basically no way to contact them directly if you are interested in joining. Other than that, it's a pretty slick web site.

Having said that, they do have a very nice facility, nestled into the side of a mountain. The last time I was there the rifle range (covered) and pistol range (uncovered) were side by side. The rifle range was 100 yards and the pistol range was basically the same "range" (no berm in between) with a backstop at 25 yards.

They used to have a box by the side of the entrance gates that would have application forms in it. The form may or may not have had additional membership information on it (I can't remember). As greyhouse mentioned, attend one of their events and with enough schmoozing you should be able to join without too much trouble.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Berks County)

Vortex,Greyhouse.......
    Thanks for the info and i only live a few miles from there and will definately stop in there to see what i can find out. I did look on their website and like you said i couldn't find out much.
    thanx,
    Joe

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe50 View Post
    Hi,
    I also took a ride past Muhlenberg Shooting Association on Sofiano's Rd and wonder if anyone has any info on that range?_____
    Their website is www.muhlshooting.org

I just recently became a member there myself. I've been shooting about once a week for the past two months and have been the only person shooting on all but 2 occasions.

The pistol and rifle range is combined. When shooting pistol there is no rifle shooting and vice versa.

Being a Muhlenberg resident the $10.00 per year ($15.00 otherwise) is well worth the money for a quiet little place to shoot that is close to home.

(Berks County)

wwhite
    thanks for the info and i just sent margaret (marty) and email as she is supposed to also be an instructor for which i would like to take some safety courses for the wife and myself. I do not know anyone there to recommend me so i emailed her to ask her how to proceed and to take a safety course for both of us.
    thanks for the info on a nice quiet place and if i get in i will pm you who i am.
    thanks,
    joe

(Berks County)

Here's the skinny on both clubs.

The Muhlenburg range is an excellent facility.

I have nothing bad to say about it except that sometimes the range can be closed for a week straight because some PD rented it out.

Daniel Boone, on the other hand is also a decent facility but that's really all it's got going for it.

A word of advice is not to take ARs or AKs back there because all of the ubersportsmen deer hunting Fudds will look at you like your insane and make snooty comments about about high capacity magazines and any rate of fire that that is faster than their muzzle loader, while the entire time they are shooting 4" groups at 25 yards with their Remington 760s. There is one fat dork (who I believe lives right next to the range) in particular that blames black rifle shooters for all of the damage done to the poles that hold the targets up and makes up rules that are listed nowhere in the club literature.

And the icing on the cake is that every Wednesday they get together for a drunken trap shoot.

This is not an exaggeration, they shoot trap and there is a man who operates the tap on a keg and sells large blue plastic cups full of beer.

Needless to say I don't go there unless I'm certain I'm going to be the only one there.

(Berks County)

I was kicking around the idea of joining this club. I'm currently a member of Alburtis, but live in the Reading area (Exeter Township). Alburtis is just too far to go to regularly. I do mostly pistol shooting, but I also have an AR, a shotgun, and a 10/22. I'm also considering Northern Chester County Sportsmen's Club although it is a little bit further for me. I appreciate any feedback on either club (pros and cons) and would like to know how to become a member of Daniel Boone since their website is not current. Thanks!

(Berks County)

If any body needs someone to get you in Daniel Boone I could probably help you. I live 2 miles from there and would be happy to show you the range.

(Berks County)

This is just a reply for mr. 5.56 ss109. How many work party's have you attended at the club? There is nothing easy about keeping the rifle range in good shape for you people who want to complain. That is why we are vigilant with people shooting the poles and metal objects. If you would like to discuss your issues why dont you show up for a meeting? Every 2nd monday of the month 7pm. The comment about the " fat dork" is also quite rude you and every other member have the right to question anyone there. making up rules?? There is a giant rule board as you walk back the driveway to the range. READ IT! And for your info you insulted probably 85% of all gun club members in berks county with your comments on hunters shooting their rifles and muzzleloaders. We do not get paid to run this facility we keep it nice because we enjoy being there and having a place to shoot our weapons legally so if you dont appreciate what we do dont use it simple as that? Dont bad mouth the club because someone questioned you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast