Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Scope for Marlin 25 (.22lr)

I have a Marlin 25 .22lr that I would like to add a scope for recreational shooting. No hunting or competition.

Two that pop to mind are a 4x32 and a 3-9x32 from Bushnell.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco...imfire/762243/
    http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco...imfire/762239/

Max distance would be 100 yards as that seems to be the limit for .22.

I would defiantly consider other models and brands. Also something that I could find locally would be a plus.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Scope for Marlin 25 (.22lr)

I'd have to give my nod to the Centerpoint scopes at Wally World for use on a 22 gun. The 3-9 is a great hunting scope. But i have the 4-16x40. 2 of them actually. One on a .223 bolt gun and one on a .22. They are inexpensive and function great.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    I'd have to give my nod to the Centerpoint scopes at Wally World for use on a 22 gun. The 3-9 is a great hunting scope. But i have the 4-16x40. 2 of them actually. One on a .223 bolt gun and one on a .22. They are inexpensive and function great.
    Got 4 in my stall. Broke a $600 scope and said never again. I would replace my Countersniper, but I want at least one scope I can see the x within the X, perfectly, at 600 yds, or so.

Although the Centerpoint 9X is designed for a 22, the 16X is much better for 100 yds. There is nothing wrong with getting the target closer to you. The world record group at 1000 yds was, after all, shot with a 42X scope, set on that power. I am of the belief that you can dial the power down for tactical shooting, but if you don't have the power there, you can't dial it up.

The Centerpoint is the best scope for the money, on the planet, period.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Chester County)

I have the 3-9x32 on my Henry. I had a single power Simmons that was frustrating because my kids and I both loved plinking with it, but it was PITA having to keep adjusting for different shooters. With the zoom option we could all find and focus on distant targets by changing the power instead of having to mess with the eye relief. I can't explain why in optical terms, but it just made shooting a lot more fun when we didn't have to keep messing with the scope so my kids with eagle eyes could quickly aim and shoot after their old man was finished with his turn.

I got the scope new in box on eBay (please don't start with the hatin') from a sporting goods dealer for about 70% of the lowest on-line and retail price I found elsewhere.

I would suggest a 3-9x40. A bigger objective for the allowance for some more light entry. Not that much different on a price prospective either.

Research pricing before you buy, and consider used if you're looking to save a buck. Stick to brands you've heard of in the past. Decent discount manufactures: Simmons, Barska, BSA, Bushnell, NcStar. Perfect for low recoil applications.

I've had fantastic results with Nikon ProStaff scopes in the past, IMO the best quality for price point available. Would be fantastic for throwing on a big bore rifle if you were to from that .22.

It shot fantastically along side my since sold Leupold VX-II (regret this)

(Allegheny County)

I ended up with 4x32 from Bushnell mostly because I found it locally. So far its good out to 50 yards with bulk Remington ammo.

Going to try it out at 100 next range trip.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I ended up with 4x32 from Bushnell mostly because I found it locally. So far its good out to 50 yards with bulk Remington ammo.

Going to try it out at 100 next range trip.
    I started out with a fixed 6X from Bushnell on the same rifle, then stepped down to the 4X. The crappy trigger on the older 25's responded a little to the ball-point pen spring trick, but they really aren't much of a target rifle.

I keep mine soley for squirell season and head shots out to 35/40yds. Just never seem to find the money for a CZ.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Late45 View Post
    I started out with a fixed 6X from Bushnell on the same rifle, then stepped down to the 4X. The crappy trigger on the older 25's responded a little to the ball-point pen spring trick, but they really aren't much of a target rifle.

I keep mine soley for squirell season and head shots out to 35/40yds. Just never seem to find the money for a CZ.
    I'll keep it forever as it is my fathers and I learned to shoot with it. But i've been thinking of getting a 10/22.

(Montgomery County)

I'm using a refurbed 4x32 Bushnell that I got from J&G Sales for my Marlin 25:

http://www.jgsales.com/4x32-rifle-sc...ll-p-6724.html

Pretty good scope for $30. Holds zero well so far. I haven't tried it in all weather but have used it on some cold mornings and so far no fogging issues.

I have another .22 Marlin that I use a Barska 3-9x32 scope on: http://www.barska.com/Plinker-22_Rif...h_Rings_1.html. I think it cost me about $35 from Amazon. No major issues with it either, it's a little fuzzy at distances less than 50 yards but otherwise performs very well. The rings that came with it weren't that great so I picked up a set of B Square rings for it.

(Lebanon County)

After reading these posts I went searching for the scope that the GF gave me for Christmas. Lo and behold it was a Centerpoint 4x16x40.
    Replaced the Simmons 3x9x32 that was on my 10/22 and am heading to the range to sight it in.
    Looking forward to ''seeing'' the difference at 100 yds.

Much better w the 16x and the 40mm. Once zeroed it didn't move. Shows how much I need to practice my breathing though.
    Last edited by Bugman916; April 9th, 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: after zero report
    /bug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast