Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default The SKS. Why Should I Own One? Or Why Not?

Had the opportunity to grab one come up, I've never really considered it.

Pros, cons, otherwise?

I don't currently own any centerfire rifles.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Default Re: The SKS. Why Should I Own One? Or Why Not?

There's a lot of satisfied SKS shooters out there, but personally, I'd go for an AK. I have 2 AK's & they're a blast to shoot.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

When i bought mines it was one of the best deals out there for such a rifle I paid $79 for my chinese version of the SKS. It came with a redish looking fiberglass stock. I really thought it wasn't going to amount to much but If I knew the rifles reputation I would have bought at two or three of these rifles. They are not built up to USA quailty but they do work and work well.
    My SKS is fun to shoot and it shots fast and well its very reliable and durable if I knew all that I would have at least two. The ammo cheap and the gun is combat acurate rumuored to be more accurate then my MAk47 and I think it is.

The price for the same rifle is about $189 for the chinese and some Russiona models I've seen around $300 for $300 I'd buy the $350 MAK47. But a $200 Yugo SKS or I guess $189 Chinese SKS would still be a fun gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    When i bought mines it was one of the best deals out there for such a rifle I paid $79 for my chinese version of the SKS. It came with a redish looking fiberglass stock. I really thought it wasn't going to amount to much but If I knew the rifles reputation I would have bought at two or three of these rifles. They are not built up to USA quailty but they do work and work well.
    My SKS is fun to shoot and it shots fast and well its very reliable and durable if I knew all that I would have at least two. The ammo cheap and the gun is combat acurate rumuored to be more accurate then my MAk47 and I think it is.

The price for the same rifle is about $189 for the chinese and some Russiona models I've seen around $300 for $300 I'd buy the $350 MAK47. But a $200 Yugo SKS or I guess $189 Chinese SKS would still be a fun gun.
    That red stock is fiberglass and a "Jungle" stock if I am guessing correctly. Came from the Vietnam era of jungle warfare, as the moist conditions played hell on rotting many things.

OP, I say I have owned 7 SKS rifles and they are tops as far as reliability/accuracy.

I used to tell folks to buy an SKS because it was 2X the accuracy of an AK for half the price. That may not be still true.

I also always add the tech sights because the original SKS sights are less than optimal.

A very good rifle indeed. many favor the Russian, but for me they never shot well at all and I had three. I'll take the chinese first and yugoslavian next.

Yugo SKS is built like a tank, but doesn't have a chrome bore seeing as they were not on the best terms with mother Russia and had no chromium of their own to mine.

Shop hard, try to get an all matching serial numbers one (dust cover, bolt, mag bottom and stock) for $225.

Shoots the cheap Wolf/Tula/whatever ammo.

I have a Chicom Paratrooper, SKS-M with thumbhole stock (takes AK mags), a Yugo, and a 20" chicom.

I like 'em
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Shooter View Post
    That red stock is fiberglass and a "Jungle" stock if I am guessing correctly. Came from the Vietnam era of jungle warfare, as the moist conditions played hell on rotting many things.

OP, I say I have owned 7 SKS rifles and they are tops as far as reliability/accuracy.

I used to tell folks to buy an SKS because it was 2X the accuracy of an AK for half the price. That may not be still true.

I also always add the tech sights because the original SKS sights are less than optimal.

A very good rifle indeed. many favor the Russian, but for me they never shot well at all and I had three. I'll take the chinese first and yugoslavian next.

Yugo SKS is built like a tank, but doesn't have a chrome bore seeing as they were not on the best terms with mother Russia and had no chromium of their own to mine.

Shop hard, try to get an all matching serial numbers one (dust cover, bolt, mag bottom and stock) for $225.

Shoots the cheap Wolf/Tula/whatever ammo.

I have a Chicom Paratrooper, SKS-M with thumbhole stock (takes AK mags), a Yugo, and a 20" chicom.

I like 'em

Thank you, helpful stuff.

So the Yugos not having a chrome bore, big deal?

(Chester County)

I have a yugo 59/66A1 and I absolutely love it. They are built better than AKs (in my opinion) and feel more solid. I also find the SKS to be a bit more accurate. I read somewhere that the 59/66's started getting chrome lined bored after 19070, but I could be wrong. I will try and find that article. Either way, you will not be disappointed with an SKS. And worst case scenario, if you don't like it you can sell it here on the classifieds.

I don't know what the price tag is for the one your considering, but stock yugos are going for around $300 now. They are great, you will not be disappointed
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Thank you, helpful stuff.

So the Yugos not having a chrome bore, big deal?
    Nope, not a big deal to me. Just rinse with water and lube it again in shooting corrosive ammo.

Besides that, no special care taken. It survived since sometme in the 50s, so I doubt I'll wear it out before I pass on.

I like them and while the cost may not be half of an AK, the accuracy is certainly way better in my experience.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

(Monroe County)

For 100 more dollars you can buy an ak47 and have ten times the gun. I don't see a purpose in buying thebsks anymore unless its all you can afford. If that's the case just wit another month and buy the ak.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    For 100 more dollars you can buy an ak47 and have ten times the gun. I don't see a purpose in buying thebsks anymore unless its all you can afford. If that's the case just wit another month and buy the ak.
    It's a trade, if it was just.a matter of an extra $100 I would buy an ak.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    ^ This is kinda where I'm at. I have many AK's at this point. No SKS. I'm somewhat familiar with the SKS. I've shot them. I've contemplated buying one just because guns in 7.62x39mm don't hurt me to have. I have so many now, one more is just one more common caliber gun.

But stripper clips? 10rd capacity? And vastly varying reports on accuracy. Have kept me putting my $ elsewhere for a while now.

My main thing is that I do not want a Yugo. I like their ammo far more than their heavier than they need to be weapons. And running the corrosive and the extra cleanup work isn't for me any more either. In the chromed guns I just blast a box of non-corrosive through the gun before I leave and wipe things off a little when I get home. No ammonia, no water, nothing unusual.

Being that they are slightly more difficult to clean than the AK. Especially when mounted in a different stock, or with some of the scope mounts on them. I just don't see the utility. If they were $150 I would buy one.

Now that they are $300. Eh, pass. I can order quite a few different AK's online for $400 I'd rather have any day than an SKS.

Or I could buy a 20" barrel in 7.62x39mm for an AR and build that too. I've already done a 7.5" one. So I already have the mags and the know how.

I just don't see the SKS being a good buy any more unless it is cheap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast