Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bank

Default Bank

My girlfriend works as a teller at a bank. We got into talking about her day a few ago and she was telling me about an experience she had with a gentleman that came in to do a transaction.

She politely asked him for a form of identification to proceed with the transaction, probably a withdrawal. He proceeded to hand her his LTCF as an ID. Her, knowing I carry, went on to make a conversation with him about the subject. When she asked him if he carries, she said he went on to say, "Absolutely, but certainly not in here! (or something along those lines)

I stopped asked her, "Why wouldn't he be able to carry there??"

After telling her how many times I've done it in the past, she became confused... because she recalls specifically during job training, she was taught that people were NOT allowed to carry, and in fact she said it also appeared on the banks training tests.

I know It's certainly allowed, but just some food for thought. I'm not sure why they would be taught these things. Her training was in Philadelphia, so I thought it would kind of make sense if the training program was in NY, NJ or something

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bank

my wife also works for a bank in bucks. she tells me there's a sign on the door
    "no smoking, no Firearms allowed"
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogpupkus View Post
    My girlfriend works as a teller at a bank. We got into talking about her day a few ago and she was telling me about an experience she had with a gentleman that came in to do a transaction.

She politely asked him for a form of identification to proceed with the transaction, probably a withdrawal. He proceeded to hand her his LTCF as an ID. Her, knowing I carry, went on to make a conversation with him about the subject. When she asked him if he carries, she said he went on to say, "Absolutely, but certainly not in here! (or something along those lines)

After telling her how many times I've done it in the past, she became confused... because she recalls specifically during job training, she was taught that people were NOT allowed to carry, and in fact she said it also appeared on the banks training tests.

I know It's certainly allowed, but just some food for thought. I'm not sure why they would be taught these things. Her training was in Philadelphia, so I thought it would kind of make sense if the training program was in NY, NJ or something
    legit good question... im going to have to get back to you on this- my borther has been a manager of local banks in/around the Philly area for the past decade, so i'm going to see what his stance is on it as well as the previous banks policies...

(Montgomery County)

There's no law, State or Federal prohibiting it. It may be a company policy. It may also be an employee specific policy. Many places of employment have special rules that apply to employees only.

(Westmoreland County)

None of my local Citizens Banks have ever had a problem with me OCing while inside.... and no signs or training situations either. I've been asked about my handguns from two different employees, and one asked me for information on obtaining a LTCF.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogpupkus View Post

Perhaps they were referring to policies regarding employees carrying on property? I had a bank employee complain to me last year that customers were allowed, but employees were not.

Quote Originally Posted by 51158 View Post
    my wife also works for a bank in bucks. she tells me there's a sign on the door
    "no smoking, no Firearms allowed"
    I'll have to check to see if that's posted if I ever find myself picking her up again!

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    There's no law, State or Federal prohibiting it. It may be a company policy. It may also be an employee specific policy. Many places of employment have special rules that apply to employees only.
    I'm thinking that's got to be the case, she made it seem like the policy was for customers, but perhaps I misunderstood. I can imagine it (sadly) prohibiting employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Perhaps they were referring to policies regarding employees carrying on property? I had a bank employee complain to me last year that customers were allowed, but employees were not.
    I think that really is quite a shame; She is a teller over at a Citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    If it's a bank policy that applies to customers, it has to be posted at the door(s).

It may well be a case of discrimination against employees. A number of years ago I took a part-time job at a Barnes & Noble book store in a strip center at the edge of a "questionable" area of town. They didn't give me (or show me) a personnel policies manual until after I was hired, as part of my orientation on the first day of work. There were three newbies -- we were told to take the manual home with us, read it, sign the agreement form in the front and return that to the manager.

Buried in the personnel manual was a company rule that employees may not have firearms on company property. Given that this store was in a bad area, plus that it stayed open an hour later than the other businesses in the center and they wanted me to work the closing shift, I went back Tuesday morning and asked the manager if that meant I couldn't keep a handgun in my locker so I could be armed as I locked the door and walked across an empty parking lot to my car. She checked back with corporate and late on Tuesday afternoon she informed me that it did indeed mean no handgun in locker.

On Wednesday morning I handed her my resignation, and that Friday was my last day.

But I routinely go into the same store as a customer, packing heat. There are no signs, the same manager and assistant manager are there and they recognize me. I am fairly certain they know I'm likely carrying and they've never said a word. It's only their own employees that Barnes & Noble considers expendable, not their customers. I can see a bank being the same way. My bank isn't posted and I carry inside ... but I don't advertise to the tellers.

I carry openly in a number of banks. Several of them are different branches of the one where I have my accounts, and others are banks where I have to do business from time to time for various other reasons. On a couple of occasions I have gone to the trouble of discussing my gun with the manager, but in most cases, I just walk in, do my business and walk out. I can think of at least seven or eight banks I have been in, and while on a couple of occasions I have gotten some wide eyes and some nervous behavior (especially when I walked in behind the armored car guys), I have never been asked or told to leave. I have also never seen a sign on any of them prohibiting carrying of a firearm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast