Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default GF's Dad Saw an OC'er

My gf told me the other day her and her parents were at the Perkins in Bradford (McKean County) and they saw a woman OC'ing. She said she hadn't noticed, and only became aware after her dad started throwing a fit about it. I guess he was spatting off "why would someone do that.. etc". My gf simple told him, because they can. Her and her mom didn't think much of it.

She's aware of the laws because of me carrying (concealed & open). I guess he has never noticed me open carrying into his house, or he has and just has never said anything.

Her dad bought a pistol about 3 years ago and can't hit the broad side of a barn with it because he never practices.

I may bring it up the next time I'm around and try to educate him, however he is a very stuborn man and set in his own ways.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Monroe County)

Default Re: GF's Dad Saw an OC'er

Kudos to you for OC and wanting to educate AND for having a GF who doesnt mind and knows it legal (its a definite plus that her mom is the same way.) Good luck educating my friend. I had to do that with my GFs parents, and after a few times of calm explanation and time they understood and it became much easier for them to understand. I used their daughter (my GF) as the example. I carry because I have made the choice to protect my self and the ones I love no matter the cost and how the world is no longer safe blah blah... After questions were asked and answers given, they understood and now they have no problems with it. It took a bit of time though.

-Steve

(Montgomery County)

I don't understand why someone would buy a gun and not set some time to be proficient at it. People need to understand that a gun aint always a "point and shoot" weapon, that you need to be able to hit what you shoot at. There is no other experience in life that you can practice to be proficient with to save your life, that is as easy as practicing with a gun.

Good luck on educating her dad on the matter. I think it should be simpler now that he has actually seen someone do it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    I don't understand why someone would buy a gun and not set some time to be proficient at it. People need to understand that a gun aint always a "point and shoot" weapon, that you need to be able to hit what you shoot at. There is no other experience in life that you can practice to be proficient with to save your life, that is as easy as practicing with a gun.

Good luck on educating her dad on the matter. I think it should be simpler now that he has actually seen someone do it.
    Because people see it on TV that apparently inexperienced Civil Rights attorneys can pick up a Beretta 92fs and shoot head shot after head shot while running. So they assume that they can do the same thing.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

My experience with stubborn people (im one of them and this technique works on me) is that it is best to go about OC as usual and not bring it up. If he confronts you about it have him tell you why he thinks its wrong and calmly shoot down his points. If you say "why do you think that" or "could you explain that for me" it will put him at ease more than if you were to take the offensive in the debate. When you counter his points with logic and fact it works out better than if you were to just spout offs the same logic and facts without his misconceptions already on the table. YMMV
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Quote Originally Posted by clarion44 View Post
    I may bring it up the next time I'm around and try to educate him, however he is a very stuborn man and set in his own ways.
    DO ... NOT ... DO ... THIS.

It is NOT your duty or responsibility to attempt to "educate" (meaning, in this case, change his mind) the father of your significant other. No good can possibly come out of your attempting to do so.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    I don't understand why someone would buy a gun and not set some time to be proficient at it.
    For the same reason that most people don't put in the time to become proficient drivers.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    For the same reason that most people don't put in the time to become proficient drivers.
    Well I'm glad I have put in the time to be proficient at my driving of a motor vehicle. I'm one of the few people that had either the balls or the stupidity to be out during our last 3 snow storms. Did it for fun, and to just become more adapt to driving in the snow if I ever needed to be out in it, and I have had to be out in it. I like to think of myself as the "transporter" from the movie "Transporter" as far as my driving is concerned, haha.

And to streaker: Well if they feel so good at it, maybe they should go to the range and show their friends how awesome they think they don't suck.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    DO ... NOT ... DO ... THIS.

It is NOT your duty or responsibility to attempt to "educate" (meaning, in this case, change his mind) the father of your significant other. No good can possibly come out of your attempting to do so.
    I agree with this for one reason.
    "her dad started throwing a fit about it" with that being said, his mind is already made up.

You seem to have well meaning thoughts, but in this instance I'd leave it at that..
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Lycoming County)

Thanks for the valid points. I'll just go about doing my own thing and if he asks/makes a deal of it, I'll stand my ground.

He's the type that he knows it all and if it isn't done his way, its wrong. He was born and raised in McKean county and not very open minded. Oh well.

Him and I were shooting once and I could tell that after I shot, he didn't want to shoot anymore. I go shooting almost weekly so go figure I might do better than someone who never shoots, lol.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast