Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question regarding securing gun safe.

I am only going to be at my location for a short while and it is a rented house. I can't drill into the floor.

Have any of you used weights rather than bolts to prevent whole safe removal during a burglary? My current small safe weighs about 130lb empty, with guns and ammo I think that number would be close to 200lbs on a third floor house.

Would it even be worth it to add 300lbs of weight to the floor, I was thinking of using sand bags or other dense material....I know it would make it a bitch to get it down the stairs, probably dangerous, impossible for one buglar...probably destroy everything inside during the process.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Last edited by EandGWZ; March 25th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Question regarding securing gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I am only going to be at my location for a short while and it is a rented house. I can't drill into the floor.

Have any of you used weights rather than bolts to prevent whole safe removal during a burglary? My current small safe weighs about 130lb empty, with guns and ammo I think that number would be close to 200lbs on a third floor house.

Would it even be worth it to add 300lbs of weight to the floor, I was thinking of using sand bags or other dense material....I know it would make it a bitch to get it down the stairs, probably dangerous, impossible for one buglar...probably destroy everything inside during the process.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Would it possible to anchor it to the wall, fairly easy to patch drywall.

(Delaware County)

Can you just move the cabinet/safe in a closet? Lag some plywood into the framing and secure the safe through the plywood.

best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    Would it possible to anchor it to the wall, fairly easy to patch drywall.
    Thanks for the reply. During my research regarding this particular unit I realized that was a possibility however it's a "vintage" house with plastered wall-papered walls owned by a police officer to boot. He is a very nice guy and I do not want to do anything to screw up our relationship...actually wouldn't mind drilling into the concrete in the basement however it get extremely humid down their, even with a good humidifier, and occasionally floods.

I'll look into other ideas but 320 lbs of concrete (dry mix and double wrapped with construction grade plastic bags) would definitively make it more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by chalmitch View Post
    Can you just move the cabinet/safe in a closet? Lag some plywood into the framing and secure the safe through the plywood.

best regards,
    chalmitch
    That's a definite possibility! Anything to prevent one from grabbing from the top/sides in an attempt to move.

(Indiana County)

Why not just ask the landlord?
    Or is it in your lease already that you cannot drill or lag anything?

I have a crap load of bulk lead bullets for reloading as well as ammo in the bottom of mine.
    2K of 5.56, 1500 9mm, 500 12ga and 5K .22LR on top of lead makes a pretty heavy item.

With all those guns you just bought, you should have a pile of ammo as well right?

I'd put alarms on the doors and windows. The best way to keep someone from rolling your safe away is to keep them from getting to it.

One last thing, depending on where the safe is located, loading it up with 300lbs+ of weight might not be a great idea if it's an old house.

(Philadelphia County)

A lot depends on the thief. If someone wants your safe, they will come prepared to break or move it. Adding more weight is not so helpful then because they can probably move 300 lbs on a hand cart without much more difficulty than moving 200 lbs.

You probably also want to think about placing it somewhere it would be hard to go at the safe with a long crowbar or sledge hammer.

Best idea I've ever heard is to get a very large steel sheet with 2-4 threaded rods welded to it in spots matching holes drilled in the floor of the safe. Set safe down over the threaded rods and bolt it down. If the steel sheet is large and heavy enough, the sheet/safe assembly is now too large/bulky to get through doorways or up/down stairs and narrow hallways.

Of course, you need to find someone who can weld and get access to a large steel sheet. But, once done, no real need to bolt the safe to walls or floor.

Quote Originally Posted by new_shooter View Post
    Best idea I've ever heard is to get a very large steel sheet with 2-4 threaded rods welded to it in spots matching holes drilled in the floor of the safe. Set safe down over the threaded rods and bolt it down. If the steel sheet is large and heavy enough, the sheet/safe assembly is now too large/bulky to get through doorways or up/down stairs and narrow hallways.

Of course, you need to find someone who can weld and get access to a large steel sheet. But, once done, no real need to bolt the safe to walls or floor.
    I actually know a welder...I think even a flimsy type sheet that could be fabricated into the corner of the closet may actually work...good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Why not just ask the landlord?
    Or is it in your lease already that you cannot drill or lag anything?

I have a crap load of bulk lead bullets for reloading as well as ammo in the bottom of mine.
    2K of 5.56, 1500 9mm, 500 12ga and 5K .22LR on top of lead makes a pretty heavy item.

With all those guns you just bought, you should have a pile of ammo as well right?

I'd put alarms on the doors and windows. The best way to keep someone from rolling your safe away is to keep them from getting to it.

One last thing, depending on where the safe is located, loading it up with 300lbs+ of weight might not be a great idea if it's an old house.
    The safe is more for the safety of the kids but in turn I now am bringing attention to perceived valuables which could have been hidden as there are so many nooks and crannies, secret hiding places in the walls and ceilings in this old house. Kind of like an armored car with 100 dollars in it. They would be much better off just taking the jewelry and electronics. I value the guns much more than their worth just because they're my guns, I mean if they don't get the safe the first time you know they're coming back
    Last edited by EandGWZ; March 26th, 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast