Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 20 ga vs 12 ga for daughter

Need additional opinions - I would like to purchase a nice field/sometime trap gun for my 25 year old daughter (5'3 - 120lbs.). She always hunted with a Remington 1100 youth model... she loves it... I bought her a Browning Micro BT-99 for shooting trap... she likes that, says the recoil is not that bad.??

Well,we started hunting pheasants again and she expressed an interest in a over/under... my question is what does everyone else think? When she used her 1100 for shooting some clays outback, the gun did not recycle properly with the light shell loads so I definetly go the over/under route.

Checked online and I'm thinking about a Beretta Silver Pigeon... Pricey, but they seem to be worth the money. Found some nice 20 ga new and used but then I found a nice used 12 ga for $500. less than normal because the LOP has already been shortened to 13.5", which would be perfect for her.

I also noticed that Beretta makes a recoil systems reducer... Kick-off... so I'm really torn on a decision... any comments would be appreciated...
    Thanks.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: 20 ga vs 12 ga for daughter

Get the gun that fits her best. Recoil is slightly heavier in a 12 than a 20, but other than more pellets, they are all the same gun. A #6 pellet traveling at 1300 fps is the same from a .410 or a 10 gauge... lol If she has shot a 12 with no problem, then there is no problem.

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lehigh County)

If she can shoot a 12g BT-99 without any difficulty, then she should be able to shoot a double barrel of similar weight. Just stay away from the real lightweight guns.

Chazman is right though, the most important thing is getting a gun that fits. If she can't shoulder it properly, then it will feel like more recoil. For me, Berettas and Brownings feel very different. I prefer the feel of a Beretta over a Citori. I ended up with a Guerini though as it felt the best. My wife has a Cynergy, so it's really up to the individual.

CDNN used to have, and may still have, very good prices on closeout Brownings.

(Delaware County)

In terms of 20g or 12g: even if she can shoot a 12g well enough, she'll be able to shoot a 20g better. This rule is true for anybody, but especially for females.

Also, probably don't let your daughter see this thread as you've put her height and weight on here.

(Jefferson County)

A 20ga can kick more than a 12g. 20g framed guns often weigh less than the 12ga counterpart guns. With today's 20ga loads matching the lower end 12ga, recoil could very well be the same or even more.

If you do get a 20ga, and if recoil is a big concern, make sure it uses the same frame as the 12ga version. The 12ga frame mass will help with the recoil of the heavier 20ga shells.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A 20ga can kick more than a 12g. 20g framed guns often weigh less than the 12ga counterpart guns. With today's 20ga loads matching the lower end 12ga, recoil could very well be the same or even more.

If you do get a 20ga, and if recoil is a big concern, make sure it uses the same frame as the 12ga version. The 12ga frame mass will help with the recoil of the heavier 20ga shells.
    I'm talking about all things being equal. Ex. 870 and 870 youth model.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Conglomeration Al View Post
    I'm talking about all things being equal. Ex. 870 and 870 youth model.
    I was only putting out general info. My reply wasn't in response to yours. I do agree with your post right before mine though.

It is often overlooked that some companies use lighter frames for lessor shotgun shells. Especially in U/O's and SxS's. Mossberg does it too. Not sure about Remington though. With 20ga shells slinging over 1oz of lead, you're in the 16ga and 12ga shot load weights. Which results in the same recoil if the guns weigh the same. Now, if it is a 20ga framed gun - the recoil now exceeds that of a 16ga, possibly even the 12ga.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Why ask us? She's 25 years old, and sounds like she's been shooting a while. What does SHE want? Take her shopping and find out. That's my $.02.

(Berks County)

Hey thanks for the replies... just a few comments.. My daughter is going to school in Virginia Beach while I'm here in western Berks, so taking her shopping is not an option at this time. She'll be graduating in May so I wanted to try and buy this for her for a graduation gift.
    Also she not complain about recoil with her BT-99, but then she's the kind of kid that would not complain. Good points concerning the weight... I guess that's the fly in the ointment, if I get her a "light frame" 20ga, she'll love it when we go hunting... but then the recpoil from the game loads will be a concern, buy her a "heavy frame", then clay bird ... well.

Does anyone have experience with a recoil system? The 12 Ga. Silver Pigeon is already at 13 1/2" LOP without a Beretta's "kick-eez". Plus could a local shop install one properly?
    Checked the local shops around here Richland Shooters and Shyda's and their selection is very limited. I'm thinking about going to the gunshow in Reading next weekend...

OK - thanks again... I'm retired so I don't have my buddies from work to hash this stuff out anymore.

(Lehigh County)

Definitely don't worry about asking questions. That's what the forum is here for. It'd be pretty boring if we all just sat around waiting to read something and everyone too afraid to ask.

There are a couple of guys locally that do shotgun fitting. I don't know any of them. I hear names at places like LV Sporting Clays when I talk to people, then I immediately forget. I'm sure if you picked up the Beretta and were willing to sink a little money into making it 'fit' (if necessary), she would do fine with it. I have to say that 500 a pretty darn good price.

I'd let her shoot it a bunch, then decide if you need to install some kind of recoil reduction. I looked into the mercury slugs that go in the buttstock for my wife, but she doesn't seem to need it after shooting the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast